Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

bots hacks and cheats killing pvp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
bots hacks and cheats killing pvp
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LancelotOC
07.10.2012 , 12:37 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
No, wrong area.

I'm talking about the pinkish force field controls PASSED the 2nd doors (the 2nd doors are after the bridge controls, the bridge controls are after the 1st doors). Until those force fields are down, no one is supposed to be able to shoot or move through them.
Well attackers spawn right above that area so if you were a defender and someone was hitting you it could be they were standing up top? So they could get the angle to you over the forcefield?

SinnedWill
07.10.2012 , 12:43 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Sitherall View Post
Even understanding player abilities and different class abilities there are still fishy things that go on;

Case and point, 2nd to last doors in VS blow, I get sentinel sprint plus use my sage force speed. I don't get slowed up or touched on my way to defend the next section prior to the last doors. When I reach the far terminal for the force field, I see an operative 75% done planting a bomb on the door. Luckily I throw a FIB and stop him, but I still see no possible way he could have outrun me and capped the force-field terminal, dropped and be 75% done planting a bomb before I arrive at the final terminal location. I could live with him starting to cap the final terminal for the force field when I arrive, but not having already capped, dropped and almost planted on the next door.

Do I think cheating goes on as much as people think? No - but I do believe it happens.
1.) You may have sitll been in-combat, despite not being touched, so you didn't have "sprint"'s ooc movement speed modifier. Ops/Scounds have a "combat cloak" which removes them from combat, so he'll certainly get the "sprint" speed mofifier.
2.) Ops/Scounds get a 50% speed boost following their combat cloak (if talented).
3.) You may have had predation from an annihilation/watchman or rage/focus marauder/sentinel, while he had it from a carnage/combat mara/sent (which is an extra 30% faster buff).
4.) Don't use force speed until predation has ended - they don't stack, and force speed's speed boost takes precedence for its duration - you'll get farther faster if you use force speed after predation has expired.
Mains: TheSinner - Madness Sorc; Scornful - Carnage Marauder
Minis: Scorned - Deception Assassin; Sinbane - Pyro Powertech; Sinborn - Marksman Sniper
Guild: Physics
Server: The Shadowlands by way of Dreshdae Cantina.

Mournblood
07.10.2012 , 12:45 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by LancelotOC View Post
Well attackers spawn right above that area so if you were a defender and someone was hitting you it could be they were standing up top? So they could get the angle to you over the forcefield?
WE were the attackers, THEY were the defenders. In the example I provided earlier, they were all dead and had respawned on the other side of the force fields but were still able to shoot us at the controls and prevent us from dropping the shields, but we couldn't target them to CC or kill them to stop it, and it ended up costing us the match.

It was already explained that this is in fact an exploit of a known bug, and is therefore reportable as a TOS violation.

(Allison: Feel free to correct me if I'm off-base here.)

SinnedWill
07.10.2012 , 12:47 PM | #54
Ok, that's the confirmation I was looking for. What that means is that it is in fact exploiting and is therefore an actionable offense.
Not sure I've heard of anyone getting suspended by it (most likely only a warning, if anything), and I'm not even certain if it's there intentionally - as someone pointed out before, if you're attempting to attack through it, you can get charged/leaped to, which effectively lets an enemy player(s) bypass having to drop the barrier.

I've bug reported it, but I've never heard anything back other than confirmation that they've received the bug report (as is customary).
Minis: Scorned - Deception Assassin; Sinbane - Pyro Powertech; Sinborn - Marksman Sniper

SinnedWill
07.10.2012 , 12:52 PM | #55
Hmm... don't you have to wait for at least one of your teammates to reach the spawn area (i.e. the location where you get the convo saying "you have breached the cargo bay...") before you can successfully respawn into that next room? Usually when I've respawned before a teammate has reached such areas (as an attacker), I end up respawning back in the previous room.

lexiekaboom
07.10.2012 , 01:00 PM | #56
If you are the defender and have a ranged AE ability you can cast it across if you stand in the center and reach some people but the bridge cap device . It's a dangerous endeavor though since if you stand out there enemies can jump across to you.

Maybe if you stand on that balcony above, or better yet the railing of that balcony, you can also target over the force field. Have to test it as it would seem over 30 range away. Though maybe Disturbance with its 35 range could make it.

I mentioned AE ranged because they have 8 radius so 30 range and then 8 radius means you hit people 38 away. At least I think it's 8 radius.. maybe it's less.
As the attacker you can jump off your re-spawn point (the high ledge) while targeting a defender on the other side of the force field and leap to them if the angels are right, seeing the field only LOS up to a given point.

LancelotOC
07.10.2012 , 01:04 PM | #57
WE were the attackers, THEY were the defenders. In the example I provided earlier, they were all dead and had respawned on the other side of the force fields but were still able to shoot us at the controls and prevent us from dropping the shields, but we couldn't target them to CC or kill them to stop it, and it ended up costing us the match.

It was already explained that this is in fact an exploit of a known bug, and is therefore reportable as a TOS violation.

Oh my bad then. I've seen people speed hacking myself , not this specific exploit. I've always dreamed I could shoot through those forcefields though.

lexiekaboom
07.10.2012 , 01:11 PM | #58

If it's an exploit of a KNOWN BUG then it's not HACKING or CHEATING it's EXPLOITING. Get it right. Cheating and hacks are things that require someone to gain an unfair advantage by manipulating computer code. Exploiting is one team being willing and able to take advantage of how biggie the game is while the other is not.

More importantly, hacking and cheating are thing we as players can have a reasonable exception that BW will prevent. Exploiting is not. Exploiting will always be there. When the current exploits are fixed, the players will find new ones. The only thing we can ask is that they take action against people using them, and given how rare I see them used I would say they are.

Elboc
07.10.2012 , 01:13 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
If you really want us to report give us an optimized mechanism. E.g. come up with some hotkeys we can use in WZ that will collect some information, then after the WZ is over we can finish the report.

Example: I think player X is cheating in some way. I target player X and hit the "cheater?" key. At this point, there is a wealth of things BW can do. At the very least, you can remember the toon name so when I fill out the report after WZ.
Not a bad idea.. But I still think devoting too many resources to this would be a waste of time as 99% of the time its people that just dont understand the game mechanics. I still remember when people could have SWORN that this jugg was cheating when in fact he was just friendly jumping to a stealthed operative in the inzone. Stupid OP but still not hacking..
Jt - Level 55 Mercenary - Rank 75 Valor
"Agent" Smth - Level 50 Sniper - Valor Rank 97
***The Untold Legacy*** The Bastion Server -"Founder"

lexiekaboom
07.10.2012 , 02:01 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Elboc View Post
Not a bad idea.. But I still think devoting too many resources to this would be a waste of time as 99% of the time its people that just dont understand the game mechanics. I still remember when people could have SWORN that this jugg was cheating when in fact he was just friendly jumping to a stealthed operative in the inzone. Stupid OP but still not hacking..
Agreed, AWESOME as an idea, but in practice it would be 20,000 reports a day of "this sage is SPEED HACKING, he was running REALLY FAST for almost 3 whole seconds" and maybe 1 of a real person using a real exploit. The reality is most of the known exploits have been around forever and the problem isn't that the Dev's don't know about them, it's that they are low priority fixes, or extremely complicated fixes (geographic glitches being among the hardest to fix in an MMO)