Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stockstrike? Someone didn't do their homework.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Stockstrike? Someone didn't do their homework.

Evangelist
07.09.2012 , 11:22 AM | #1
Ok, I just have to point this out...the idea/animation for the ability Stockstrike is a bad idea. Why? Because if you're hitting someone with the butt of your rifle you're generally doing it wrong. First, most modern weapons (and this would include the high tech blaster rifles of SWTOR) are made to be as light weight as possible. The idea of butt stroking someone comes from the days when rifle stocks were solid wood with metal butt plates and had some heft to them. Take the M-1 Garand, it weighs about 10-11 lbs. The modern M-4 is about 7 lbs and has a composite stock. Now 4 lbs doesn't seem like much but it turns out to be a lot when you have to hump it around all the time in addition to all your other gear. Also the lighter heft make it less suitable as a blunt force weapon than the M-1.

Anyway my point is you really don't want to butt stroke someone with your M-4, better to shoot them point blank or use that archaic device known as a bayonet. You're likely to break your rifle's stock thus using your wepon as a club is an act of desperation. I won't even get into the issues of trying to swing a weapon with the size and mass of an auto-cannon, not to mention impact damage to the weapon itself. I mean not everyone wears robes for armor...

Stockstrike really should be something like Point Blank Blast, Gut Shot, or Bayonet. It is what is it for the momonet but I hope that future expansions they would talk to someone with knowledge on modern infantry combat techniques for ideas. As an aside perhaps future blaster rifle designs should/could include a vibro or energy bayonet.

Edit: appently I've been miss calling this ability, probably because for my Vanguard it zaps them with electricty.

Alconos
07.09.2012 , 11:54 AM | #2
I think an additional melee move with the animation of a bayonet would be cool in addition to stock strike, but I don't think it should be changed, I mean, it looks epic and who knows, maybe these rifles were made differently then today's military weapons.
▂ ▃ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▃ ▂
⋘PRIME DEFENSE⋙
WebsiteChatRecruitment VideoForums
The Tenacious ※ The Vigilant ※ The Prime◊

Keypek
07.09.2012 , 12:01 PM | #3
Shockstrikes and butt strokes are different conversations all together.

As far as stockstrikes go, why do you think rifles in the Star Wars universe aren't built for such things? What's the last blaster or laser gun you've held to have such knowledge?
K'mpek/Keypek or some variation
ICE Breaker>Corellian Run>The Shadowlands>Star Forge
FREE play time and loot by clicking>>

WaldoA
07.09.2012 , 12:01 PM | #4
Listen.. if you're going to complain about something not being realistic in this game i'm sure I can think of a few more un-realistic things myself.. shooting lightning from my hands or creating my own earthquake are just a couple of examples.

EDIT: Oh, and it's stockstrike

Evangelist
07.09.2012 , 12:24 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by WaldoA View Post
Listen.. if you're going to complain about something not being realistic in this game i'm sure I can think of a few more un-realistic things myself.. shooting lightning from my hands or creating my own earthquake are just a couple of examples.

EDIT: Oh, and it's stockstrike
Well the whole "force" thing is called suspension of disbelief, we accept it as part of the SW universe. Infantry combat however is something real that can be researched and real live experts exist on the subject. To me that is the difference, Force = accepted make believe, Infantry Combat methods = real and pretty easily researchable by talking to any serving infantry soldier, veteran, or trainer.
The Sternn Legacy
Grimaldi - 50 Vanguard
Jedi Covenant

Gyronamics
07.09.2012 , 01:03 PM | #6
I can't say about your butt stroking but my commando smashes people with the side of his assault cannon.

Could well be the same animation but since there is no stock on an assault cannon the visual effect is that the target is hit by the side of the cannon body being swung at them, looks like the barrel (such as it is) is being used to club the target.

Which would be entirely logical as a damaging attack given that the thing looks like its easily 40kg (should see me dancing with it in one hand though).

CitizenFry
07.09.2012 , 01:10 PM | #7
It's a friendly nod to HALO, and IMO it looks pretty cool.

Before I'd complain about "that shouldn't hurt much because it's so light", I think I'd complain about "that shouldn't spend ammo because you aren't actually firing the weapon". :P

Y_bot
07.09.2012 , 02:11 PM | #8
Bro. It's a sci-fi game, in the star wars universe. I don't think that bioware really cared if this happens in real life, and I don't either. It looks clean and cool, it's heroic, and I don't think you have ever held a blaster rifle in your life. Just sayin. An electric bayonet or vibroblade other than gut would be sweet though.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Y_bot, Vanguard. Ven Zallow Refugee
The Crossfire Legacy
<Phoenix Battalion>

GrantyJPS
07.09.2012 , 06:34 PM | #9
RL (2012)

Barely made it to the moon. Space station is old, bolted together, looks like it was made at kids craft class. Humans havent made it to Mars.

Ranged kills recorded in combat by mechanical/chemical based weapons at > 2500 yds

SW (Game time)

Many worlds and galaxies explored. Hyper speed. Space stations the size of moons. Cool looking ships the size of cities.

No ranged kills by ion/energy based weapons > 35 yds.

Yeah....

So-low
07.09.2012 , 11:11 PM | #10
I find it more unrealistic that a smuggler can kick huge droids in the nuts and stun them.