Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

STAR WARS and bad writers...

Aurbere
07.07.2012 , 08:09 PM | #21
I don't really care for the uberness either, OP. With that said, I still enjoy the EU. There are only a few things that I can't stand about the uberness.
1. Creating Black Holes(I think Luke did that so I heard anyway) If you can create a Black Hole, you really don't have to worry about the bad guys. I understand that it takes a lot of energy, but if you can master it, you don't need to worry about enemy fleets. Just suck 'em away like a vacuum cleaner.
2. Bad guys just won't die! The biggest bad guy ever(Palps) comes back from the dead, which, imo, defeats the ending of ROTJ. His return is understandable de to the fact tat this was early and EU writers had almos no ideas.
3. Super-Mando. Doesn't need explaining.
4. The Vong. They are abominations of life. Obi-Wans timeless phrase where he says "The Force surrounds us, It penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together." I believe by that he means that the Force is like the life giver of the galaxy. Everyone in the SWU is touched by The Force, the Vong are not. And thy are just plain ugly. They make great villains, but they could have found a different way for them to be unique(besides their smashing good looks)

That's pretty much it for me.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

KorvusKaar
07.07.2012 , 08:34 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Gorra-Syn View Post
Example.. Yoda pulls an X-Wing out of a swamp and it looks like it took so much , but its no big deal to move a moon? I just shook my head when that happend
I haven't seen the OT for a long time but didn't Yoda tell Luke that lifting rocks and lifting an X-Wing was only different in his mind? Yoda is not lifting anything, the Force is lifting it through him...so a X-wing and a moon would also be the same...

Also, I'd like to say I have absolutely no experience with EU comics...

Gorra-Syn
07.08.2012 , 02:19 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I don't really care for the uberness either, OP. With that said, I still enjoy the EU. There are only a few things that I can't stand about the uberness.
1. Creating Black Holes(I think Luke did that so I heard anyway) If you can create a Black Hole, you really don't have to worry about the bad guys. I understand that it takes a lot of energy, but if you can master it, you don't need to worry about enemy fleets. Just suck 'em away like a vacuum cleaner.
2. Bad guys just won't die! The biggest bad guy ever(Palps) comes back from the dead, which, imo, defeats the ending of ROTJ. His return is understandable de to the fact tat this was early and EU writers had almos no ideas.
3. Super-Mando. Doesn't need explaining.
4. The Vong. They are abominations of life. Obi-Wans timeless phrase where he says "The Force surrounds us, It penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together." I believe by that he means that the Force is like the life giver of the galaxy. Everyone in the SWU is touched by The Force, the Vong are not. And thy are just plain ugly. They make great villains, but they could have found a different way for them to be unique(besides their smashing good looks)

That's pretty much it for me.
Very good points, but I would like to add to it.
1) About the black holes? I agree with you 100%.. PLUS even though Star Wars is sci-fi, sometimes a writer should do his homework in real life. For those that dont know, a black hole has such a great amount of pull.. that a black hole small enough to fit in the palm of your hand would absorb the planet Earth in less than a second. Now think about that. Yes this power is overkill.

2) I could maybe see him do it 1 time...MAYBE. In a movie you could have some actor that looks like a young Ian McDiarmid. Like the way the make up department tried to make Ewan McGregor look like Alec Guiness. 1 time max!

3) I like Boba Fett, but I never understood why people though he was so BA.. he didn't do anything in the movies. Total screen time in the OT is under 2 minutes.. Yes.. 2 minutes. Jango was cool cause at least we get to see him fight. It's only after watching Jango in Ep. 2 that I started to think Boba could be BA. Jango's ability against a Jedi was good.And the Bounty Hunter video game where you play as Jango was great and really made me like him even more and it had a good tie in with the movie. As for supermandos.. not so much.. I agree that is a bit much.

4) The Vong.. I was thinking about the very thing you brought up.. When Obi-Wan says "The Force surrounds us, It penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together.".. but to add to that.. Qui Gon says "Midi-Chlorians are a microscopic life form that resides in all living cells" and even says "Without the Midi-Chlorians,life could not excist". It's like the writer never even watched the movies.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE "since 77" CLUB

Captain_Zone
07.08.2012 , 03:16 AM | #24
Sure, Batman has no "super powers". However, his abilities allow him to hang with the Big Guns. He plans for every contingency. Does he have mental issues? That's a matter of debate. Does he like to dress a kid up in a bright costume and use him as a distraction device? Most definitely. Robin is expendable.

Batman is the epitome of "learn from mistakes", "prepare for everything", and "do what needs to be done". You have to remember, he's an amalgam of Sherlock Holmes and Zorro, for the most part. He has the physical prowess of Zorro with Holmes' ability to figure everything out at a glance. So while he doesn't have "super powers", he adapts quickly to any given situation.

Is it fair to compare the Jedi to comic book characters? Well, The Green Lantern Corps comes the closest (galactic police force), with a dash of X-Men thrown in since the whole Midi-chlorian debacle.

I think even George thought that was going too far. "Midi-chlorians" sounds like something a plant would produce, or some kind of new laundry bleach. I mean, seriously... WHO COMES UP WITH STUFF LIKE... ohwait...
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

RickmanUK
07.08.2012 , 06:25 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Gorra-Syn View Post
4) The Vong.. I was thinking about the very thing you brought up.. When Obi-Wan says "The Force surrounds us, It penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together.".. but to add to that.. Qui Gon says "Midi-Chlorians are a microscopic life form that resides in all living cells" and even says "Without the Midi-Chlorians,life could not excist". It's like the writer never even watched the movies.
I Thought the Easiest/Best Explanation for it was Because they Come from another Galaxy, they have a "Foriegn Language" Version of the Force... Plus the Fact they Were cut off from it.

That said the Idea of it was interesting. Even if they Were still connected to it, it may have been Difficult for the Jedi to sense them.

I'm Probally wrong but we'll not likly know.
Light Side, Dark side.... Does it matter... There is only the Force.

grandmthethird
07.08.2012 , 06:56 AM | #26
if you think jedi/sith are over the top super freaks, then you really just aren't getting it. some choice words i hope help with this,

sci-fi
fiction
fantasy
imagination

so jedi/sith can do things that are over the top. that is kinda the point. if i want real i'll go read something else. star wars does exactly what its sposed to do. if you don't like it your reading the wrong kinda a thing.
"Hope has a vicious enemy called fate"

Gorra-Syn
07.08.2012 , 09:54 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by grandmthethird View Post
if you think jedi/sith are over the top super freaks, then you really just aren't getting it. some choice words i hope help with this,

sci-fi
fiction
fantasy
imagination

so jedi/sith can do things that are over the top. that is kinda the point. if i want real i'll go read something else. star wars does exactly what its sposed to do. if you don't like it your reading the wrong kinda a thing.
I don't think you get my meaning.. We all know it's sci-fi.. but you watch the movies, then read the books. After that if you think they are both on the same level then you are crazy,the EU is a tad over the top. Maybe thats why GL doesnt think about the EU,maybe because he doesnt think they really "get it". In Ep. 3 when Yoda faces Sidious and Sidious says "Now you will experience the full power of the dark side".. what did he do next? open some vortex to happy town?? no.. he shot Yoda with lightning. GL gave them an inch so they can write these stories,and they took a mile. It's really just that simple,and to be honest, anyone who thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves.

Do I like any of the EU? Yes I do. I like Sadow,Kun,Bane,Quinlen Voss and some others, but that doesnt mean they sometimes don't do things that are just wrong and have no place. Star Wars is sci-fi, but I feel some guid lines had been set and the EU writers just ignor them.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE "since 77" CLUB

Darth_Dae
07.08.2012 , 05:00 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Eh living for thousands of years isn't really anything spectacular, pulling a moon out of orbit is rather child's play compared to what comic book heroes can do. As for Galen(Starkiller) his over the top stuff was due to gameplay mechanics due to make the game more fun, the novel which is actual canon makes his force powers much more tame.
Yeah completely disagree here.

Living for thousands of years isn't anything spectacular? Can you explain please because I'm rather lost as to how that isn't spectacular.....

And there are many many ways to make a game rich with story and life without having to overload on CGI. The Force Unleashed has a relatively decent story but overall it was just a CGI based game, "look at this and look how great and awesome that looked". I found that half of the things in that game could of been avoided and maybe more time spent on a story.
Looking in Alderaan places

CassusVerda
07.08.2012 , 06:48 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Relate to Batman?....Ya right....Batman has been played and put on such a platform that he could beat anyone with preperation. That is no way relate able, because he never fails, everything always works 100% of the time for him.
You know...except when Bane sneaks in to the Batcave and LITERALLY BREAKS HIS BACK ON A TWO PAGE SPREAD! That put him out of the game for a while and left him a paraplegic for a tick.
EBON HAWK
"THE MANDALORIANS"
http://themandalorians.enjin.com/home
Aliit Kohr: Mains: 55 Snip Ba'slan 55 Op AP-XT (Assassin Droid) 55 PT D'Cassus

ProfessorWalsh
07.08.2012 , 08:22 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by CassusVerda View Post
You know...except when Bane sneaks in to the Batcave and LITERALLY BREAKS HIS BACK ON A TWO PAGE SPREAD! That put him out of the game for a while and left him a paraplegic for a tick.
Kinda.

That only worked because Bane had released all of the inmates at Arkham and Batman was exhausted by fighting them. Also that didn't happen in the Batcave. Also it didn't stick for long, Batman was back in action after he got his back magically healed within 6 months (Of course Bruce apparently knew about a magical healer who could fix severed spines but never thought to mention it to poor Babs... The jerk.) and defeated Bane in a one on one conflict.

Superman on the other hand was killed by Doomsday and was dead for a full 18 months. (Which is a darn long time.)

Bad writing exists everywhere. Comic books nor novels are exceptions. Star Wars actually has only a small number of bad writers.

Karen Traviss and to a lesser extend Aaron Allston.
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind