Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Damage, Tank or Heals?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Damage, Tank or Heals?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

master_endymion
07.07.2012 , 10:20 PM | #1
Which role suits your personality?

Tanking suits me. I'm a leader-like person (Tanking actually improved my sense of leadership) and I can be tough through most storms of life.
The Tyrducken Legacy | Red Eclipse
Trish-frost (guardian / Jamie'frost (powertech) / Chiren-fuu (sage)
OPOD and Sword in a Box
IN LOVING MEMORY

KBSIP
07.07.2012 , 10:50 PM | #2
DPS with defensive cooldown and taunt ability, because I make up for when the "leader" (tank) either gets roflstomped by lag, or is an idiot.

Gonco
07.07.2012 , 11:02 PM | #3
I think DPS suits me the most because I love the quick action and stylistic nuances of that gameplay. I like to be powerful but I'm also alright with sacrificing survivability. The Sentinel was a great fit for me as it gave me utility and powerful tools to really turn the tide in a 1v1 or a long boss fight.
Synnax - SentinelEnox - Powertech
Synquist - ShadowKai'rah - Operative
<Stay Classy> - Prophecy of the Five

RendValor
07.07.2012 , 11:25 PM | #4
I play both Tanks and Healers because I like to have a broad perspective and put myself in the shoes of that other person to learn the strengths/weaknesses of the roles.
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Bugjuice
07.07.2012 , 11:31 PM | #5
Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of the trinity. (tank, heal, damage)

When I heal I feel obsessive, like I'm playing whack a mole or Tetris, just trying to plug leaks.
And when I tank I feel compulsive, and like a control freak. And have to double check everything I do. It doesn't translate into fun for me.

Damage roles are much freer to play the game the way they like. They don't actually have to follow any particular set of rules short of shoot stuff, preferably and usually the tank's target. That frees up a lot of attention to do other things, and for me, results in relaxation and enjoyment.

Guild Wars 2 claims not to have the trinity, e.g. tank, heal and damage. But what they have instead at high level is control, support and damage. That sounds strangely euphamistic like "tank heal and damage" to me. I hope it isn't, and I hope other games follow suit. The holy trinity is an outdated MMO concept.

Liokae
07.08.2012 , 12:27 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by master_endymion View Post
Which role suits your personality?

Tanking suits me. I'm a leader-like person (Tanking actually improved my sense of leadership) and I can be tough through most storms of life.
I like all three, but when I've got the option, I go into healing. Tanking goes second.

MentalCase
07.08.2012 , 01:04 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Bugjuice View Post
Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of the trinity. (tank, heal, damage)

When I heal I feel obsessive, like I'm playing whack a mole or Tetris, just trying to plug leaks.
And when I tank I feel compulsive, and like a control freak. And have to double check everything I do. It doesn't translate into fun for me.

Damage roles are much freer to play the game the way they like. They don't actually have to follow any particular set of rules short of shoot stuff, preferably and usually the tank's target. That frees up a lot of attention to do other things, and for me, results in relaxation and enjoyment.

Guild Wars 2 claims not to have the trinity, e.g. tank, heal and damage. But what they have instead at high level is control, support and damage. That sounds strangely euphamistic like "tank heal and damage" to me. I hope it isn't, and I hope other games follow suit. The holy trinity is an outdated MMO concept.
This. I think they should get rid of the whole Trinity System and come up with their own way to do it. As for the OPs question, I usually play as a healer (was a Holy Priest in WoW) but I've switched things up and started tanking (Bounty Hunter). I love it so far. So much fun!
Bluesummer Legacy
Cagura (Vanguard) / Kaethundor (Shadow)
Ghawlst (Sorcerer) / Vexler (Powertech)

Skodan
07.08.2012 , 09:46 AM | #8
I like tanking, but dps is a close second
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

knell
07.09.2012 , 08:01 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Bugjuice View Post
The holy trinity is an outdated MMO concept.
Its only out dated because you read that somewhere. All successful MMOs have it even if they claim they dont...but you kinda said that already.

AllisonBerryman
07.09.2012 , 11:48 AM | #10 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Healing suits me best, though I enjoy playing all the roles (even if tanking is a little stressful for me!). I've mained healers in nearly every MMO I've played. I even have a penchant for taking healing skills in single-player games! I like supporting my team and keeping them fighting (and yelling at them when they stand in things they shouldn't). There's nothing like delivering that last-second clutch heal that keeps the tank up through massive damage!