Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Printscreen Issues

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

karkajou
07.07.2012 , 04:20 PM | #1
Somewhere along the way swtor changed the way it handled Printscreen. It dumps swtor screenshots into documents -> swtor -> screenshots instead of throwing them into the windows clipboard (so i can throw them into photoshop to work on them).

However, I run dual monitors, and I use Printscreen to copy and paste from other windows while I craft or chat on swtor, or to update my guild's website, and it is not grabbing any non-swtor screen grabs. Those captured outside of swtor seem to not register at all.

Printscreen functionality has changed so that if I need to grab a screenshot outside of swtor I cannot do so while it is running (unless I use the windows snipper tool that leaves an ugly red border around everything i snip).

Tirvaak
07.07.2012 , 04:37 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by karkajou View Post
Somewhere along the way swtor changed the way it handled Printscreen. It dumps swtor screenshots into documents -> swtor -> screenshots instead of throwing them into the windows clipboard (so i can throw them into photoshop to work on them).

However, I run dual monitors, and I use Printscreen to copy and paste from other windows while I craft or chat on swtor, or to update my guild's website, and it is not grabbing any non-swtor screen grabs. Those captured outside of swtor seem to not register at all.

Printscreen functionality has changed so that if I need to grab a screenshot outside of swtor I cannot do so while it is running (unless I use the windows snipper tool that leaves an ugly red border around everything i snip).
Hi karkajou,

I have encountered this as well and found that if you place swtor in windowed mode the printscreen function will work correctly even if the game is running. So for instances where you are working on non-swtor screen captures, the game will not interfere with what you are doing.

In relation to use the snipping tool, it does have an option to do a full screen snip if you do not wish to have the game in windowed mode. To get rid of that red border you can open the snipping tool, go to options and uncheck the box marked "show selection ink after snips are captured".

I hope that helps.

Tirvaak | Bioware Customer Service - Forum Support

karkajou
07.07.2012 , 04:57 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Tirvaak View Post
Hi karkajou,

I have encountered this as well and found that if you place swtor in windowed mode the printscreen function will work correctly even if the game is running. So for instances where you are working on non-swtor screen captures, the game will not interfere with what you are doing.

In relation to use the snipping tool, it does have an option to do a full screen snip if you do not wish to have the game in windowed mode. To get rid of that red border you can open the snipping tool, go to options and uncheck the box marked "show selection ink after snips are captured".

I hope that helps.
I run only in Windowed mode and using Alt+Printscreen to grab a selected non-swtor window does nothing.

Thanks for the suggestion with the snipping tool. I'll try that in the meantime.

I'm running Vista 64 if that helps.

Edit: I also tried just using Printscreen with a non-swtor window, and that did nothing as well. Nothing in my clipboard and nothing in the screenshot folder.

Tirvaak
07.07.2012 , 05:12 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
I run only in Windowed mode and using Alt+Printscreen to grab a selected non-swtor window does nothing.

Thanks for the suggestion with the snipping tool. I'll try that in the meantime.

I'm running Vista 64 if that helps.

Edit: I also tried just using Printscreen with a non-swtor window, and that did nothing as well. Nothing in my clipboard and nothing in the screenshot folder.
Hi Karkajou,

Just to try it out, could you see if crtl+printscreen works?

Thanks.

karkajou
07.07.2012 , 06:49 PM | #5
Ctrl+Printscreen copied to clipboard, an image showing output from both of my dual monitors.

Tirvaak
07.07.2012 , 09:34 PM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Ctrl+Printscreen copied to clipboard, an image showing output from both of my dual monitors.
Hi Karkajou,

That's great, I'm glad this works and allows you to take screen shots without having to use the snipping tool.

If you need help with anything else please let us know and we will be happy to assist.

Thanks.

karkajou
07.08.2012 , 02:09 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Tirvaak View Post
Hi Karkajou,

That's great, I'm glad this works and allows you to take screen shots without having to use the snipping tool.

If you need help with anything else please let us know and we will be happy to assist.

Thanks.
I was hoping to capture specific windows instead of the entire thing. Perhaps you can pass releasing Alt+Printscreen to the dev team?

Tirvaak
07.08.2012 , 03:09 PM | #8 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I was hoping to capture specific windows instead of the entire thing. Perhaps you can pass releasing Alt+Printscreen to the dev team?
Hi karkajou,

It's no problem, I have already passed this on so I'm sure it will be looked into. Unfortunately I have no further details on this at this time.

Thanks.

McTanda
01.11.2014 , 06:35 PM | #9
FYI - Control+ALT+Printscreen will permit you to capture just the window you want while SWTOR is running - full or windowed mode.

McTanda
01.11.2014 , 06:58 PM | #10
-please delete-