Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Onizuka's Guide To The LFG Tool ( Level 50 )

ImmortalAlien
07.06.2012 , 05:22 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kenjigreat View Post
If your entire party has recruit Gear you should limit yourselves to Black Talon or Boarding Party.
You're underestimating how good Recruit is. This overshoots the gear requirement for all Tier 1 flashpoints.

Even if you are a casual gamer , Research the fights. We don't owe you anything and neither do you. Everyone wants this to be a drop in, drop out experience.

This applies especially to SM Operations. Every fight has several phases and different mechanics. Not knowing what you are getting into and expecting to get spoonfed by randoms is irresponsible
This will be more important with new content, assuming Bioware goes in the same direction their did with Lost Island. Fights will be more of a mechanic check than gear check.

Lost Island Requirements

Tanks Minimum HP : 22K

DPS : 18K HP

Heals : 18 K HP

Do NOT Click the Box Unless you have researched the fights.
Lost Island's gear requirement is actually a mix of Tionese and some Columi. Failure in Lost Island comes from failing the mechanic check 90% of the time. Seriously, run this with a group of Campaign geared guys that have never done it and it'll be a four hour struggle. The difficulty of PUG LI HM is due to that last bit: few people research flashpoints they've never done.

Also, health is a bad substitute for a gear checker.

And another thing, guard on the healer is only useful if you plan on damaging everything in the pull by at least a small amount nearly instantly. Even with the reduction of threat, unless another player damages adds and far away trash, the healer will get aggro. They also stay out of the 15m range most of the time, so usually that 50% damage reduction bonus won't be applied and they just receive the 5% one.

YeknomStun
07.06.2012 , 06:03 PM | #22
This info is about running FP's and ops, it has nothing to do with using the LFG tool.

grallmate
07.06.2012 , 06:55 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by ImmortalAlien View Post
And another thing, guard on the healer is only useful if you plan on damaging everything in the pull by at least a small amount nearly instantly. Even with the reduction of threat, unless another player damages adds and far away trash, the healer will get aggro. They also stay out of the 15m range most of the time, so usually that 50% damage reduction bonus won't be applied and they just receive the 5% one.
The 50% damage transfer is only from player attacks. Does nothing in PvE. I can see arguments that the 5% is more useful on a healer and I know I as a tank have no issues holding threat so the threat reduction is less needed, but I do find the melee DPS take more damage anyway and it tends to make the healers job easier.

What it really comes down to is: if you're losing threat to someone, guard them. Otherwise its only a 5% DR so its up to you.

Quote: Originally Posted by Morrolan View Post
Wasn't Esseles changed in 1.3? It hasn't popped for me in the group finder yet.
It was changed but it still has headshot as a must interupt or 1 shot someone thing. Deals about 6-8k dmg on my Columi Guardian Tank when it gets through. Probably still gonna nearly 1 shot a Recruit geared tank and stress a recruit geared healer. I'm not saying it can't be done with all recruit, but you do need to stay on the ball for it or you probably wipe.

Really the point is: its not an easy one on pub side and lots of people assume it is since it was the first one.

Also worth putting in the first post:
- You have to leave all tier 1 HM FPs selected to get the 5 BH Comms. Even unchecking 1 (Kaon and D7 I'm looking at you) will stop you getting the comms.
- You should only Need on things you can (and will) use yourself. Greed/Pass on the rest. Ask the group before Needing it for a mods/companions/alts and do not Need for mods/companion/alt if someone else will actually use it for their main spec.

Quote: Originally Posted by YeknomStun View Post
This info is about running FP's and ops, it has nothing to do with using the LFG tool.
Its general advice on running PUG groups which is what the LFG tool makes. The tool itself is pretty easy, the expectations of most of the people you end up with are what is being explained. These things are less important for the leveling FPs but once you reach the HM ones, there are expectations from most players who have done them before as well as some requirements gear wise.

I know I don't want to wipe 10 times getting a random group through MP when I can do a run with guildies in 20 minutes for the daily BH comms. That doesn't mean I'll bail after the first wipe, but if we make no progress I'm not hanging around and wasting credits on repairs. What it comes down to is if you make it easier on me and I'm gonna keep using LFG to help people out and meet new mates. But if you make it hard and I'll just run with guildies for the comms.

Diora
07.06.2012 , 09:02 PM | #24
one other thing i'd like to point out is for DPS:

kill order for the vast majority of pulls (not all of them) should be NORMAL, STRONG, ELITE, CHAMPION. often there are 5-6 normal mobs with 5k health in a pull, and they are spread out all over. they die so fast that it's pointless for me, as a tank, to waste my energy running around trying to collect them. I am trying to keep your safe from the big hitter mobs.

You'd be so surprised how many DPS don't know this.

grallmate
07.07.2012 , 12:41 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Diora View Post
one other thing i'd like to point out is for DPS:

kill order for the vast majority of pulls (not all of them) should be NORMAL, STRONG, ELITE, CHAMPION. often there are 5-6 normal mobs with 5k health in a pull, and they are spread out all over. they die so fast that it's pointless for me, as a tank, to waste my energy running around trying to collect them. I am trying to keep your safe from the big hitter mobs.

You'd be so surprised how many DPS don't know this.
I totally forgot that point. I guess I've just gotten used to running with 'good' DPS who don't need to be told that (yet still stand outside of the healers AoE heal.....)

shadowflit
07.07.2012 , 06:09 AM | #26
Always guard a melee dps. They will be in range to benefit from the guard, they will be able to dps harder without worrying about aggro, and if they get hit by splash aoe damage your healer will thank you for reducing the damage by 5%. Win all the way around.
Fleur
Night's Radiance
Ajunta Pall Refugee

Pubsam
07.07.2012 , 12:16 PM | #27
Hey, as healer I don't mind being guarded in a pug. Chances are for the more chaotic trash pulls the DPS will all attack the elites/strongs with the tank and I'll tank the norms. Especially in places like Kaon, where with undependable DPS I can take a lot damage. Unless there's a Marauder (he gets auto-guarded), I wait a few pulls before giving Guard out on my tank. Mostly because I'm rarely in the mood to police people if we're not wiping. I know, I know, not helpful to the community.

But yes, in a group where you want to hold people accountable for being bad, do not guard the healer. If you don't feel like fighting about it, maybe guard the healer, depending on the fight, what the dps are doing, etc.

Actually you could probably forget to guard anyone and be fine.
Time for a nap.

FlyinSpaghetti
07.07.2012 , 12:51 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Vugluskr View Post
Great story, Kenjigreat, but have you ever played a healer? Never ever calculate healer's power via his health. Tionese level geared healer has way less than 18k HP and is perfectly suited for any HM (LI included). Even HM Ops (not EC, of course) are doable with 15k HP healers.
I wouldn't want to be in a solid FP with a 15k healer. even my comps could probably heal better. Same goes for 17-18k tanks, I'm currently a sentinel with 18k no buffs if I'm not getting far in a FP and the tanks only got 17k then that's probably why. When the tanks not good enough to hold the agro or dies the DPS is usually first to get it.
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

Aurojiin
07.07.2012 , 05:31 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by FlyinSpaghetti View Post
I wouldn't want to be in a solid FP with a 15k healer. even my comps could probably heal better. Same goes for 17-18k tanks, I'm currently a sentinel with 18k no buffs if I'm not getting far in a FP and the tanks only got 17k then that's probably why. When the tanks not good enough to hold the agro or dies the DPS is usually first to get it.
I wouldn't want to be in a FP with someone who thinks their companion could heal better than a 15k healer.

Niytshade
07.07.2012 , 07:17 PM | #30
Well I agree with many points of the guide, however I do have to put in my opinion on one of them. The whole skipping thing and I'll provide an example. My smuggler is wearing RD-07A boots and pants, I've been trying to get replacements but havent been lucky yet. I could get Tionese pants but I need some more crystals so I que up for a HM flashpoint, my group says they want to skip everything because it "is a waste of time"..so, if people want to skip bosses and not get currency how do you expect people to get the gear for the harder stuff? I don't mind space baring conversations since I've done most flashpoints on NM, but honestly if you don't want to do everything don't try to force it on your entire group, maybe there are others that want to do things..but apparently it seems to be "expected" to skip everything you can almost makes me feel like Im playing with a bunch of WoW elitists all over again