Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Roleplaying "on the road"

Yospeck
12.17.2011 , 09:06 PM | #11
People play the game as well; that is your problem.

Not everyone in game feels the desire to RP, and some characters it makes no sense for them to RP. If you want to RP a Sith Lord as part of your RP, but you just started okaying, then why would you be having a casual chat with someone who you just bumped into?

It is surprising to me how many people expect RP to be on tap simply because they rolled on an RP server.... that's not how it works. The person you want to RP with still needs to be in the mood/in RP mode/it make sense before they begin to interact.

The people who have a character how freely interacts with everyone on the road has either written their character thus or are going well beyond the realms of what is believable for that character.
The Unifying Force Campaign - Int. Heavy RP
Vanz T. Desaar
:: UNIT:: Imperial Lieutenant
CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY....
Follow us on Twitter | Visit our Forums | Check out our Website

Katnap
12.18.2011 , 07:50 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Yospeck View Post
People play the game as well; that is your problem.

Not everyone in game feels the desire to RP, and some characters it makes no sense for them to RP. If you want to RP a Sith Lord as part of your RP, but you just started okaying, then why would you be having a casual chat with someone who you just bumped into?

It is surprising to me how many people expect RP to be on tap simply because they rolled on an RP server.... that's not how it works. The person you want to RP with still needs to be in the mood/in RP mode/it make sense before they begin to interact.

The people who have a character how freely interacts with everyone on the road has either written their character thus or are going well beyond the realms of what is believable for that character.
And this is why it would be nice to have RP flags. I'm an avid RPer. I will happily RP wherever I find it. Sometimes it's a brief howdy-do in line at a vendor. Other times it can develop into a long-term friendship.

No need to get upset with people because they assume that since you're on an RP server that you are an RPer. If you are not, just be polite and say thanks, but no thanks. And if you're turned down, don't take it personally, just move on.

Really, it's not hard to show a bit of courtesy and understanding to both sides.

But I really would like RP flags.

Eegore
12.18.2011 , 09:12 PM | #13
Id like RP flags as well.

What I did was leave Coruscant and wander around by the Chamber of Speech on Tython and helped people get through it.

I shot out RP and people either went along with it, or they just said to help them get through so they can level up. I helped either way but I have gotten a few RP experiences for taking the time out of my busy schedule to help a padawan along.

If I didnt want to stay at the Chamber of Speech then I potentially coul have done some RP on the road.

Devlonir
12.19.2011 , 02:41 AM | #14
Thing is, in the Sith Lord story you mention, is that even before he was a Sith Lord, he was once someone in training. And also Sith Lords can RP 'on the road'

Heck, in your case, if someone talked to me while I ran by, I'd just give them a snarl or some other clear sign of NOT wanting to talk to them ICly. This is as much RP as anything else. And at least a lot more than just running by like you are not on an RP server at all.

Personally, I made my character have a background which I knew fits with the start of the story. That way, what my character does in game can be what my character does in his own story. Background wise, I can pick and choose what he actually did and what he actually didn't afterwards. But until then, I do everything he does in the game world ICly and let him define his personal story from the quests he does.

This has been my RP style for many MMOs and also the preferred way I play. And luckilly, my girlfriend agrees with me and we are levelling our mains together this way.

So to anyone on The Progenitor: If you ever see Devlo'nir and Hananya walking by, come and join us. We don't mind!