Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which lightsaber style do you prefer?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Which lightsaber style do you prefer?

Striva
12.19.2011 , 12:19 AM | #21
Spoiler

I am not 100% disagreing with you but when you start spouting incomplete facts at people you are just begging for someone to come and tear your post to shreds.

The different kind of weapons mentioned in your post and in earlier all have their strong sides and their weak sides. For example, a two-hander has an increases range of which people can be hit and the power it strikes with is almost doubled compared to one-handed weapons. But your flexibility, as mentioned before, is taking some blows and your defence is worse than that of a shield wearer.

This can be applied to every kind of weapon. All of them have their strong suits and their weak suits. Some may be better off against other weapons but they might be as good to another weapon.

Who said anything about piercing the armor? You do know that you can bypass the armor by hitting the weakspots, aka the joints?

Your usage of the term "real combat" is mindboggingly stupid, combat does not equal war. Combat is the act when two or more people use violence on each other to inflict harm. Something called "real combat" is a term that is nonexistent and frankly does not make any sense.

I can agree with you that a shield can be used as a weapon, but saying that someone with a shield facing someone without a shield would "smash the hell out of him" is very unlikely. A shield CAN be used as a weapon but is a very inefficient weapon due to it's short reach and low attack power.

About your statement that "THEY DIDN'T HAVE PROPER METAL AND WOOD TO MAKE SHIELDS WITH", I would very much like to see some proof backing up that statement. I doubt you will ever find anything to back this up (because there is none).

But hey, you wanna talk back? Good luck with that.

There could be some misspelled words in there and some holes, but hey, it's late!

Bobinator
12.19.2011 , 01:18 AM | #22
I kinda like Niman...Jack of all Trades is always nice.
As of right now, i'm rash free.

Disastersaurus
12.19.2011 , 02:34 AM | #23
Okay, let's see.

First off: "Bypassing the armor by hitting weak spots." Have you ever tried this in real life? As in, really tried it against someone with a shield? The precision required is nearly superhuman, and even if you do have the accuracy for it, getting in on someone with a shield is extremely difficult. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the point is, while you're trying to do that, you've got an angry guy with a shield and sword in a very good position to **** you up as you try and stab him through his guard.

I'll concede about the 'real combat' usage, bad term on my part. Fair enough.

Shields make much better weapons than you give them credit for. Keep in mind that they were built for deflection and ease of use, and that you can easily smash someone's hand with a shield. Furthermore, the short reach is negated against a dual wielder, because a shield has similar range to that of a blade short enough to dual-wield [which is approximately between twenty to twenty-eight centimeters].

As for the metal and wood, do you just not know much about Japan? They used bamboo for their woodcraft, which while strong for bows and spears, isn't suitable for shieldwork. As for metal, it's pretty widely known that Japan, due to being an isolated island nation, had limited resources. Why do you think the common soldier used a spear instead of a sword? Because spears only required a small biit of metal and a shaft of bamboo. Swords of all kinds were the privilege of those who could afford them, and the steel that Japan did have was weak and low quality - that's why katanas were made by folding steel, the folding process was to reinforce the brittle metal.

Rhyltran
12.19.2011 , 02:39 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Disastersaurus View Post
Okay, let's see.

First off: "Bypassing the armor by hitting weak spots." Have you ever tried this in real life? As in, really tried it against someone with a shield? The precision required is nearly superhuman, and even if you do have the accuracy for it, getting in on someone with a shield is extremely difficult. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the point is, while you're trying to do that, you've got an angry guy with a shield and sword in a very good position to **** you up as you try and stab him through his guard.

I'll concede about the 'real combat' usage, bad term on my part. Fair enough.

Shields make much better weapons than you give them credit for. Keep in mind that they were built for deflection and ease of use, and that you can easily smash someone's hand with a shield. Furthermore, the short reach is negated against a dual wielder, because a shield has similar range to that of a blade short enough to dual-wield [which is approximately between twenty to twenty-eight centimeters].

As for the metal and wood, do you just not know much about Japan? They used bamboo for their woodcraft, which while strong for bows and spears, isn't suitable for shieldwork. As for metal, it's pretty widely known that Japan, due to being an isolated island nation, had limited resources. Why do you think the common soldier used a spear instead of a sword? Because spears only required a small biit of metal and a shaft of bamboo. Swords of all kinds were the privilege of those who could afford them, and the steel that Japan did have was weak and low quality - that's why katanas were made by folding steel, the folding process was to reinforce the brittle metal.
To be fair the sword is a romanticized weapon period. The spear has always been the favored weapon on the battle field due to how well it works in both formations and even one on one fights. A lot of people think "You just need to get in against someone with a spear" but in reality that isn't easy against someone knowledgeable in it's use.

Disastersaurus
12.19.2011 , 02:54 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
To be fair the sword is a romanticized weapon period. The spear has always been the favored weapon on the battle field due to how well it works in both formations and even one on one fights. A lot of people think "You just need to get in against someone with a spear" but in reality that isn't easy against someone knowledgeable in it's use.
This is very true, and usually it -was- that the common soldiers favored spears. That said, in European and Arabic warfare, swords and other metal-heavy weapons were in use a lot more because there was more metal to be found than in Japan.

Cyberkensho
12.19.2011 , 03:00 AM | #26
Well in game I am a Sage so I can only have one saber.

In real life however I practice Tenshin Shōden Katori Shintō-ryū 天真正伝香取神道流 (among other MA) and so I can fight in any combination 1 sword, 2 swords, staff, spear & more.

Now if I were to really defend my self, most likely I would grab just 1 blade (it fits my personal stile more I think)
(█████████████████████╬HΞHΞ()ΞHΞH╬█████████████████████)

Rhyltran
12.19.2011 , 03:44 AM | #27
On topic my peferred style is a single saber and the Soresu style.

Mykr
12.30.2011 , 10:19 AM | #28
Well, for me, I would use 2 lightsabers because of flexibility. But, the hard choice would be to either hold them like jedi regularly do, or to hold the Ashoka style. If you hold them normally, you can defend yourself better, but you can't attack as well as with the other form and vice versa.
Join the dark side, we have cookies!
Luke, join me, and we will rule the bakery as father and son!

BrandonSM
12.30.2011 , 11:21 AM | #29
Vapaad would be my mine.. but its nearly useless if your not Force Sensititve and your Opponent isn't Force Sensititve.

I fenced for a couple of years. Makashi seems like the closest one to that. So I guess in real life, Makashi.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

cantfindanamee
12.30.2011 , 11:28 AM | #30
white light saber maybe a dual-bladed ..would it be possible to get 1 half white half purple? i wanted that back in KOTOR 2
Everyone is insane the only sane people are those who admit it.

-Me