Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Vanguard Special: A Tactics Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
The Vanguard Special: A Tactics Guide

TheOpf
07.02.2012 , 09:31 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by gloryday View Post
Its good, but I prefer the old damage bug

in rated, as soon as a tactic spec guys attempt to use pulse they just stunned (which wastes your 5-stack)
That is true, but like I told the Tactics VG on my team. Any stun used during your pc is a stun not used on our healer or during a cap. And it's a stun not used on our sniper or sentinel - Sniper not stunned is a machine of destruction. I prefer them stunning my Tactics guy who is the only guy who gets hurt less if he is stunned.
The Bounty Hunter AP Guide: Always Learning -Vanguard Tactics Guide: Where is my PG Slow?
Anam Ithieor- 50 AP Powertech
Anbas Ithieor- 20 Operative (lethality/healer)

huehuebrbr
07.02.2012 , 11:10 AM | #32
we we're already behind the curve, but with other classes getting buffed and changes to equipment (and scaling), i think we should all support this topic:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4779305

TheOpf
07.02.2012 , 12:07 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by huehuebrbr View Post
we we're already behind the curve, but with other classes getting buffed and changes to equipment (and scaling), i think we should all support this topic:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4779305
That thread is based on a misunderstanding of the AP tree. I posted my thoughts in it. Crying for more burst underlines how poorly played AP/Tactics is. People play AP like it's Pyro, and it has nothing to do with Pyro. It's a completely unique tree.
The Bounty Hunter AP Guide: Always Learning -Vanguard Tactics Guide: Where is my PG Slow?

Byrnison
07.06.2012 , 04:36 PM | #34
I'm another lost vanguard in PvP. Been away, and now I've discovered that my Yojack and Ironfist builds don't work so well for me anymore. Is there an area that discusses options for gear? What I have is based on my old spec...ugh.

TheOpf
07.06.2012 , 04:48 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Byrnison View Post
I'm another lost vanguard in PvP. Been away, and now I've discovered that my Yojack and Ironfist builds don't work so well for me anymore. Is there an area that discusses options for gear? What I have is based on my old spec...ugh.
What gear do you currently have? If you have combat tech than Assault or Tacitcs works.

Byrnison
07.06.2012 , 05:24 PM | #36
I have mostly combat tech with some eliminator. I have altered the mods, taking away some accuracy for example. I'm not sure how best to configure at the moment (what my stats should look like in this spec). I had optimized everything to my old spec and play style.

TheOpf
07.09.2012 , 09:38 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Byrnison View Post
I have mostly combat tech with some eliminator. I have altered the mods, taking away some accuracy for example. I'm not sure how best to configure at the moment (what my stats should look like in this spec). I had optimized everything to my old spec and play style.
If you are mainly combat/eliminator than your switch to either dps tree should be easily accomplished. You can go to Norse for a bit more survival or full ap for a bit more damage.

Nezyrworks
07.13.2012 , 09:32 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by TheOpf View Post
If you are mainly combat/eliminator than your switch to either dps tree should be easily accomplished. You can go to Norse for a bit more survival or full ap for a bit more damage.
Hey TheOpf.

I was playing norse before you posted the guide, but switched to pyro much prior to 1.2.

After 1.3 there is a noticable difference in burst dps of assault spec, and time to kill. Because of that i would like to share with you guys all the results.

My current stats are (buffed + rakata stim)
584.4 bonus damage
Crit chance: 32,15%
Accuracy: 91.90%
Surge: 79.39%
Tech Dam 919.4
tech crit: 33.31%

Now i had tested my 7/3/31 build and confronted it with 8/31/2 norse. (highest hit vs dummie 50)

Flame Pulse: 4508
Ion Pulse: 3087
Stockstrike: 4131
Sticky grenade: 2608

And i was just shocked by the amount of burst. With proper amount of power, and battle focus on, its better than the one provided by Assault spec . Spamable Ion pulse for 3k a hit and stockstrike for over 4 is much to be appreciated.

Its easy to 1vs1 with this spec, the only problem u might experience is harpoon being on cooldown while you fight ranged dps. I was dueling best (2nd best pyro at my guild) and won 10 times out of 10 duels. Once you start you have more survivability due to 20% dmg reduction while stunned and he just have to stun you down, because you are equal (and i would say better) in burst. What blew me away was total 9120 damage on Pulse cannon to a SINGLE target.

I would counter the theory that this is not a good 1v1 spec. That of course depends on a playstyle, AND previous experience and gear, but i tend to think that with high end War Hero remoded armor it's just better in every way.
Meet the Pyro!

TheOpf
07.13.2012 , 09:41 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Nezyrworks View Post
Hey TheOpf.

I was playing norse before you posted the guide, but switched to pyro much prior to 1.2.

After 1.3 there is a noticable difference in burst dps of assault spec, and time to kill. Because of that i would like to share with you guys all the results.

My current stats are (buffed + rakata stim)
584.4 bonus damage
Crit chance: 32,15%
Accuracy: 91.90%
Surge: 79.39%
Tech Dam 919.4
tech crit: 33.31%

Now i had tested my 7/3/31 build and confronted it with 8/31/2 norse. (highest hit vs dummie 50)

Flame Pulse: 4508
Ion Pulse: 3087
Stockstrike: 4131
Sticky grenade: 2608

And i was just shocked by the amount of burst. With proper amount of power, and battle focus on, its better than the one provided by Assault spec . Spamable Ion pulse for 3k a hit and stockstrike for over 4 is much to be appreciated.

Its easy to 1vs1 with this spec, the only problem u might experience is harpoon being on cooldown while you fight ranged dps. I was dueling best (2nd best pyro at my guild) and won 10 times out of 10 duels. Once you start you have more survivability due to 20% dmg reduction while stunned and he just have to stun you down, because you are equal (and i would say better) in burst. What blew me away was total 9120 damage on Pulse cannon to a SINGLE target.

I would counter the theory that this is not a good 1v1 spec. That of course depends on a playstyle, AND previous experience and gear, but i tend to think that with high end War Hero remoded armor it's just better in every way.
That has been my experience as well. I generally refrain from the word "Burst" as there is a confusion as to how it's done. The biggest difference between Assault and Tactics is timed delay on TD/RS combo and Plasma Cell. Plasma Cell is amazing. But I digress, When I play my AP PT, I can beat just about any PT out there because Norse is so strong on survival and packs a wallop. The 6 percent reduction on the player you are fighting is better than people give it credit for.

Pulse cannon with HTL is freaking amazing. The channeled bit is what bugs people. However you stated and so has several others that when fighting in a wz that 9210 is to each guy hit with it. I once dropped 3 guys who were attacking someone else with PFT (Pulse Cannon) slow plus boost in damage.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you drop all the accuracy mods out of your gear at War Hero level? The only difference between Tactics and Assault in ranked is unless you are really good, Assault will always end with higher damage numbers. Plasma cell plus better range = more total damage.

It's good to hear of another successful player who sees the vantage. Wait til you face those cursed Sents and players who mitigate all physical damage, and it does nothing to you. Fun stuff!

Nezyrworks
07.13.2012 , 10:16 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by TheOpf View Post
That has been my experience as well. I generally refrain from the word "Burst" as there is a confusion as to how it's done. The biggest difference between Assault and Tactics is timed delay on TD/RS combo and Plasma Cell. Plasma Cell is amazing. But I digress, When I play my AP PT, I can beat just about any PT out there because Norse is so strong on survival and packs a wallop. The 6 percent reduction on the player you are fighting is better than people give it credit for.

Pulse cannon with HTL is freaking amazing. The channeled bit is what bugs people. However you stated and so has several others that when fighting in a wz that 9210 is to each guy hit with it. I once dropped 3 guys who were attacking someone else with PFT (Pulse Cannon) slow plus boost in damage.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you drop all the accuracy mods out of your gear at War Hero level? The only difference between Tactics and Assault in ranked is unless you are really good, Assault will always end with
higher damage numbers. Plasma cell plus better range = more total damage.

It's good to hear of another successful player who sees the vantage. Wait til you face those cursed Sents and players who mitigate all physical damage, and it does nothing to you. Fun stuff!
Of course mitigation is the reason i am turning to tactics (appart from MV and SG) all attacks are elemental or internal. I am beating top dmg withtactics on my ranked guild premade. We have 1 Pyro and me as for troopers.

I did all but one, because i dont have proper enhancement yet (i want crit/surge) now its crit/accuracy.

I also need to switch 2 armorings from 58 to 61 (chest and boots), and buy 2nd WH relic of boundless ages (now one is BH). But those are minor changes, and i dont think they will influence the results in any significant way (maximum 8 damage bonus), and 0.7% surge (giving total 80%).

Advice: If any of you want to benefit from high spike damage, overcap your surge. I am using 37power/39power mods (lvl 58/61) and mostly 41power+53surge enhancements. Accuracy is not needed, because not a single hit is ranged (in NORSE). Every attack is Tech based, thus its 100% accurate.

Advice2: If you are going to be Railshoted, try to be stunned. 20% damage reduction will cripple the railshot badly. Wait for it to happend then break CC and stun enemy just after the laugh. That will break his chain of burst.

Today tested my tactics on duel with pyro (almost same stats and knowledge of pyro as mine).
Results were: 5 wins, 2 loses, 1 draw (both died due to dots). Very close games (first 3), then the trick with being stun worked perfectly and i was able to beat the crap out of my friend
Meet the Pyro!