Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rule of Two

Alynore
12.13.2011 , 12:28 PM | #1
I remember a discussion about the rule of two, and thought it might keep things busy as we patiently wait for our invite.

So Darth Bane gets an invite into the Brother Hood of Darkness. First an Imperial agent and eventually off to the Sith academy. He find weakness in the current sith recruits and the leader and decides to use it against them. So he convinces the Force Bomb to be used, which ultimately destroyed all Sith. Taking over, Darth Bane institutes the rule of Two. A Master and an Apprentice. The Master to bask in the glory of the power of the Dark Side, and the apprentice the want to hunger it.

Its a pointless rule. The Sith are always trying to convert someone to the dark side. Look at Darth Vader, he had a secret apprentice that broke the Rule of Two. There was obviously three....not to mention he tried to convert Luke to the Dark Side. The rule was made to be broken and it can be by any Sith Lord that claims to hold the power over the Sith.

Could a Sith council exist like the Jedi Council? No, I would agree with Darth Bane in that the Sith should only have one leader. Otherwise there would be to much cut- throating going on for the Sith and they would begin to ignore the purpose, which seems to be to destroy the Jedi. In fact, if there was less turmoil within the Sith they might have had a better chance to destroy the Jedi.

Zarmi
12.13.2011 , 12:31 PM | #2
The idea about it is to keep the Sith in check, because the Sith usually end up screwing themselves over. The idea for Vader to turn Luke to the dark side, was for him to then take Vaders' place as the apprentice.

The point is that when the master falls, the apprentice must take over if he/she is proved worthy. Thus ensuring the Sith remain strong.
Stop complaining/worrying about something you haven't tried or played. It's meaningless.

Kettukun
12.13.2011 , 12:34 PM | #3
Actually, in the far future of this. There is the Rule of One made by Darth Krayt.

Darth bane's holocron image condemned him for it.

Because if he died, the sith would be like a headless rancor. (He did actually die eventually, by the way, and got resurected as well.)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rule_of_One

OrderSixtySixx
12.13.2011 , 12:36 PM | #4
When you think about it...how many Sith masters have to die before they realize that maybe having an apprentice is a sure fire way of getting usurped/killed. I see apprentices as a liability, unless your goal is to eventually kill said apprentice and somehow absorb thier force power...let them struggle.

Emekk
12.13.2011 , 12:42 PM | #5
The brotherhood was excruciatingly weak, whether it was a good idea or bad, the sith wouldn't have lasted to darth vaders time if bane didn't do it. And on top of that the dark lord of the sith since bane have been waaaaaaaaaay powerful, the only reason why they got taken down again in the movies was because it was an lolmovie.

morganrules
12.13.2011 , 12:48 PM | #6
Yup that discussion was made by me. I for one hate the rule of two. I feel it is completely ******** and not necessary.

Alynore
12.13.2011 , 12:51 PM | #7
I agree that the Brother Hood of Darkness was weak, and I dont disagree with Banes actions. But Bane could have created a much stronger Sith empire had he not created this rule of two.

Here is something to think about though. although we know some Sith continues on with this Rule. Who is to say that there wasnt a self proclaimed Sith Lord somewhere else in the galaxy. There were tons of Dark Force clans/groups. They could have easily escaped notice and have been trapped on a planet somewhere like the Sith originally were.

I think the rule was kept beyond Bane because the proclaimed Sith lord didnt want more people coming to cut them down. Would the Sith be more powerful if they honored a hierarchy system and didnt try to kill their leaders?

Alynore
12.13.2011 , 12:53 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by morganrules View Post
Yup that discussion was made by me. I for one hate the rule of two. I feel it is completely ******** and not necessary.
Just remember from my orginal post, I think any Sith could proclaim the rule void. It opens them up to challenges from other Sith. Because of the chaos of the Dark Side I dont see a justified reason that this is a binding law. The force obviously isnt enforcing the rule and there are plenty of Holocrons and information for someone to stumble upon to turn themselves into a Sith.

Nyysjan
12.13.2011 , 01:01 PM | #9
Rule of Two sounds awesome, right up until you spend a couple seconds thinking about it.
One person who decides to ignore it, and the whole thing goes splat.
One accident that either kills the master before he/she takes apprentice, or kills master and apprentice, and it goes splat.
One harebrained scheme that ends up killing them, and the whole thing goes splat.

It's just too fragile to keep going for several millenia, either the teachings start to spread, or it dies out on the first bad accident, or is simply abandoned by those who are supposed to follow it.
It simply strains that suspension of disbelief way past the breaking point for me.

The Sith Empire, in SWTOR or during GHW simply sound cooler, and more realistic to me, they provide structure, constant competition and fresh recruits to replace the dead, and it is not one accident away form destruction.
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudKiller View Post
Agent: "If you want a door smashed down call a Sith Warrior, if you want a door blow to pieces call a Bounty Hunter, if you want the key to the door and the knowledge of what lies beyond it then you call me."

Spots
12.13.2011 , 01:23 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Alynore View Post
the rule of Two. A Master and an Apprentice. The Master to bask in the glory of the power of the Dark Side, and the apprentice the want to hunger it.
Vader created an apprentice to pass off the emperor's bidding to someone else, and to eventually assist him in overthrowing the emperor. The emperor wanted luke to kill vader and take his place as the new apprentice.

I think this is the true way of the sith, in that every individual is secretly their own master, working to achieve greater power by any means necessary. They are willing to accept doing the bidding of someone else in order to gain more power, and force their underlings to make that search for power easier.
Train yourself to let go of sleep you fear to lose
-Good Job Bioware