Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Running with Noobs

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

amaresch
07.06.2012 , 09:33 AM | #21
All good ideas. Keep in mind that with more players on healthy pop servers and the LFG tool working pretty well- a LOT of players are now able to do things they hadn't before. SO, there are a lot more inexperienced players in the mix now able, willing but not necessarily capable to competently participate. As long as these inexperienced players listen to the advice from mission veterans and try to learn- help them. It'll provide a new challenge to the veterans with a sense of accomplishment when they meet success while babysitting. Doing this also can add more experienced players to the LFG pool. Remember, the Star Wars name created a ton of first-time MMO players across all age groups- and a lot of them want to learn and contribute. Now with servers hosting populations big enough to create groups, a little work from the die-hards can create a population full of experienced players.

Agreed, In game chat will help, especially for this scenario. Teaching somebody something via text chat is a long, long process.

Snakeyees
07.06.2012 , 09:42 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Nerdcommando View Post
Hello,

Heres a different experiance for all of you crying about people that dont know what their doing. Yesturday I ran my first HM with a 2nd tank who it was his as well. We also had a healer who never ran an ops before period. We were undergeared.

We did not wipe once. Did both KP and EV on HM with out a wipe.

How did this happen? We talked. All 8 of us talked and helped each other. For those of you crying about group finder...put a group together the old fashion way, get in voice chat and help each other.
Toodles
I highly doubt you guys didn't wipe once, Maybe not IN EV but IN KP give me a break for somebody with your level of experience that you claim. there is no way you one shot, fabricator being under-geared. Plain and simple. The only way you could have no wipes is if you ran with 6 other people in full Rakata gear/Black Hole gear and people who knew each fight like the back of their hand.
I don't care how much you communicated to each other something is very fishy with this post.
Asro Miraluka, Jedi Guardian Level 50 Veteran of Squadron 367 Server: Bergen Colony
--->.

KBSIP
07.06.2012 , 10:59 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Snakeyees View Post
I highly doubt you guys didn't wipe once, Maybe not IN EV but IN KP give me a break for somebody with your level of experience that you claim. there is no way you one shot, fabricator being under-geared. Plain and simple. The only way you could have no wipes is if you ran with 6 other people in full Rakata gear/Black Hole gear and people who knew each fight like the back of their hand.
I don't care how much you communicated to each other something is very fishy with this post.
fabricator is easy with an experienced team running the puzzle, then tanks just have to know how to taunt off (duo tanking 101) and you're doing. don't have to deal with double stacking buffs and debuffs like HM/NMM

AllisonBerryman
07.06.2012 , 11:56 AM | #24 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by PalihoJ View Post
IMHO essentially this is true and very good advice....however, as with most things in life it is not so simple.
You're absolutely right that it's not going to work every time. Even if you speak up and are patient and polite, you'll sometimes run into players who won't tolerate new players or those who just won't listen to advice. In those cases, when you run into someone you don't mesh with or people who are problematic, you should definitely use the ignore list - this will keep the Group Finder from matching you with those individuals. Another thing that I highly recommend is finding a guild that matches your personal playstyle and attitude. This can take some work, but it's definitely worth it in the long run.

It can be frustrating to apply these principles (being tolerant, offering advice, communicating that you're new, etc) when the result isn't positive - I know from personal experience! It can be discouraging, but it's worth sticking with it if you help even just one noob who appreciates it

Snakeyees
07.06.2012 , 09:52 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by KBSIP View Post
fabricator is easy with an experienced team running the puzzle, then tanks just have to know how to taunt off (duo tanking 101) and you're doing. don't have to deal with double stacking buffs and debuffs like HM/NMM

In less i read the OP post wrong he said he was doing HM not SM maybe he meant SM and not HM
Asro Miraluka, Jedi Guardian Level 50 Veteran of Squadron 367 Server: Bergen Colony
--->.

Darzil
07.07.2012 , 03:02 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
And anyway, how will you fool a system that checks your main stat and endurance? That's all that is needed to gauge your gear progression.
So in order to pass the gear check on my tank I'll use the 56 DPS armours I've been unlucky enough to have drop, rather than the 51 tanking armour (with the armourings of the DPS armour transferred) I currently use? Especially with Def/Abs/Shld augments coming with Power rather than Endurance, a well geared (ie high mitigation to reduce healer's workload - endurance is for spike/elemental/internal damage) tank may well have much lower endurance than they would have if they stacked main stat and endurance.

There are decisions to be made, got a Columi earpiece drop yesterday, considered replacing my purple crafted one. Would have given a lot more main stat and endurance, upping my HP by 400 (around 2%), but would also have reduced my defence chance nearly 2%, and my absorb 2%. Overall I'd take the same time to go down, do a bit less damage, and require the healer to heal me more. Not a good move for a tank, in my opinion, but would make me look better equipped to your proposed gear check !

In most of the HM's you need strategy and awareness, not gear. This is as it should be. The trouble with fixating on gear is you get groups like the one I had last night (very nice people, and I had fun, though). Two friends, both Commando's, one of whom was highly geared and good. The other was less geared and less experienced, and often hit the floor during the early stages of boss fights, but we got through it. They got all the Commando loot, as the geared one was passing. Now, it may be that they learn well and become great, or they may not learn, and carry on being carried to great gear. A gear check would not distinguish.

Geryboy
07.07.2012 , 03:29 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Nerdcommando View Post
Hello,

Heres a different experiance for all of you crying about people that dont know what their doing. Yesturday I ran my first HM with a 2nd tank who it was his as well. We also had a healer who never ran an ops before period. We were undergeared.

We did not wipe once. Did both KP and EV on HM with out a wipe.

How did this happen? We talked. All 8 of us talked and helped each other. For those of you crying about group finder...put a group together the old fashion way, get in voice chat and help each other.
Toodles

yeah that's awesome and stuff. Can't wait to explain everything anytime I join a groupfinder. And every lazy sucker can get a free explanation while some people take their time and prepare reading a guide. EV und Karagga are exremely easy. Try that in Denova and you do GET a couple of wipes because somebody doesn't get it.

It is a matter of common sense and respect that you prepare for a certain content before jumping in with a rnd group. You can do a blind run with a pug on easy fps and ops without a problem. But you should check when the content gets harder and do your homework.
Twinsnake Guardian / Payne Assassin / Cornhoolio OPerative ///// Jar'kai Sword

Darth-Malice
07.07.2012 , 03:46 AM | #28
People used the ingame chat client? Whoa thats a new one.
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

Arcit
07.07.2012 , 07:15 AM | #29
I always watch a vid of bosses before going into a new Ops, but not for Hard Mode FPs.

That said I have to say I'm impressed with the manner and patience of most people in this game.
it's very encouraging for new players, I hope it never deteriorates.
Makes for a good community. <3
50 - Jugg tank (Bertos)
50 - Sorc heals (Arcage)

Gnnysgt
07.07.2012 , 07:57 AM | #30
I don't mind running with people that are new to FM we all have been there. but what i do mind is when a lvl 50 merc has a total of 11.5k health and when asked to leave tells you to eff off.

these things have been out there for months now and with 3rd party sites and a paper guide you can buy there should be no reason why people are jumping in with minimum gear. ( armor rating of 124).
do your dailies ( 56 daily coms will get you a full set of armor) talk to a cyberteck to make you armor mods.
but when you have green armor and your highest piece is a lvl 45 non modded one, you need to sit back.

also I don't care what others think there is a reason there is PVP armor and PVE armor. recuit gear doesn't cut it. ok mabefor BT or boarding party but nothing else, and secpecially not LI. and yes I have both rakata gear and BM gear. you wuoldn't wear your comuli/rakata gear in a WZ why would you wear your pvp gear in a FP.

also if people are under geared or don't know the fights run the reg mode FP to get gear, they changed it and it does drop decent stuff, plus you get 5 daily comms.