Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Onizuka's Guide To The LFG Tool ( Level 50 )

Kenjigreat
07.05.2012 , 06:56 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Fossman View Post
Generally speaking your better off just not queueing for LI HM. 99% of the pugs your gona get put with are clueless and probably undergeared for it. Better off forming a group first with people that know the fights and have the gear THEN queue for it so you get the daily.

I have pugged and 1 shotted the droid.

As long as everyone is geared and knows what their doing it can be done

Khevar
07.05.2012 , 07:29 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by uniz View Post

nice job though but if you don't use hit points i am not sure how you would tell how well or poorly a player is geared at a glance.

I agree with this. Whenever the LFG tool pops and we load the instance, the first thing I do is quickly scan the HP levels. Any that are low I check the gear.

So far I've always given every group a try, I've never quit just because of bad gear or low hp. But this has been a quick mostly reliable indicator of how hard I'm going to have to work and how much time I'll need to set aside.

Of course, the worst player I ever grouped with was a 21k hp healer, but that was more due to the fact that he kept hating on the group all the way to Malgus then quit. Luckily we requeued for a replacement healer and finished on the very next try.

grallmate
07.05.2012 , 10:45 PM | #13
I run a tank and a healer and I've got a couple of comments here:
- Tanks aren't the bosses, but most people look to them and I like to make sure everyone knows what they are doing. Most important is that if you don't know the fights, speak up. Most of the time I don't mind explaining the fights. But I'm over typing out Soa and Mentor from D7....
- Going into HM FPs, expect everyone to do a quick run, skipping what you can and spacebar convos. If you want to do bonuses speak up. If you want to do convos I'd suggest you talk to the group and possibly queue story mode instead.
- DPS should wait for the tank to start each pull. Especially Guardian tanks, we have enough issues with spread out mobs already guys.
- DPS also need to kill adds while the tank takes care of the boss.
- If the healer lays down an AoE heal, the DPS also need to stand IN it.
- When skipping mobs, stick near the group and do not run off ahead. If someone pulls aggro accidentally you want to be ready to clean up. Similarly everyone should be sticking with the slowest person which will usually be the healer recovering after topping you all off.
- Tanks should NOT guard healers in PvE. If the tank is guarding the healer he is (usually) doing it wrong. If the healer is actually benefiting from a guard he is (usually) doing it wrong.

Lastly for Pub side: Best hard modes to start on are Taral 5 and Maelstrom Prison. Hard mode Esseles is actually tough for a fresh 50. Unfortunately if you choose your FP you don't get the Black hole comms.

Vugluskr
07.06.2012 , 12:29 AM | #14
I believe that T1 HM FPs are designed for 50/51 gear, and full Columi player is over-geared for it. I have played with one sage healer who had tank's gear (+defense). He had a huge HP pool, but he had troubles healing KP HM and needed to be covered. I do not look at HP at all, because it is so easy to add HP to any gear with Augments now.

Some advices to healers from a healer:
- At the very start of FP ask everyone if it is their first FP run. If it is your first run, tell about it ASAP. I hate surprises when we pull not a TnS boss.
- Even during quick runs regenerate your resource after every pull. **** happens. Do not rush.
- It is your fault if anyone dies, regardless of a reason. If you can not outheal a huge damage spike, explain tactics to a group to avoid or prevent it. You are healer, and it is your job to keep your group alive. Communication is your biggest healing skill.

Morrolan
07.06.2012 , 01:18 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Lastly for Pub side: Best hard modes to start on are Taral 5 and Maelstrom Prison. Hard mode Esseles is actually tough for a fresh 50. Unfortunately if you choose your FP you don't get the Black hole comms.
Wasn't Esseles changed in 1.3? It hasn't popped for me in the group finder yet.

Fossman
07.06.2012 , 01:27 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Kenjigreat View Post
I have pugged and 1 shotted the droid.

As long as everyone is geared and knows what their doing it can be done
Not saying it isnt possible with the group finder. Just highly unlikely your going to find a group like that. Majority of people are really pretty clueless that there are pretty strict gear requirements on that flashpoint.

Kenjigreat
07.06.2012 , 03:12 AM | #17
I will Edit my post to make it better according to feedback .

I would however like to point out several things.

1. I created this guide for people who know nothing or close to nothing about FPs at level 50 and yes there are such people and I happen to be unfortunate enough to group with them every day.

2. On some fights having a good tank is a must . Eg Lost Island , Most tanks on my server are incapable of handling the fights.

Quote from grallmate

"- Going into HM FPs, expect everyone to do a quick run, skipping what you can and spacebar convos. If you want to do bonuses speak up. If you want to do convos I'd suggest you talk to the group and possibly queue story mode instead."

I absolutely agree on this.

and this " - DPS also need to kill adds while the tank takes care of the boss"

and this " - If the healer lays down an AoE heal, the DPS also need to stand IN it.
- When skipping mobs, stick near the group and do not run off ahead. If someone pulls aggro accidentally you want to be ready to clean up. Similarly everyone should be sticking with the slowest person which will usually be the healer recovering after topping you all off.: "

"- Tanks should NOT guard healers in PvE. If the tank is guarding the healer he is (usually) doing it wrong. If the healer is actually benefiting from a guard he is (usually) doing it wrong."

Honestly this debate about Tanks should not guard healers in PvE is pretty stupid . I have done hundreds of HMs and either way works. Just because someone does things in a different way does not mean that they are wrong.

Kenjigreat
07.06.2012 , 03:13 AM | #18
Edited. I will continue to edit this post according to feedback.

Inzi
07.06.2012 , 03:46 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
That's besides the point. The issue is that the benefits of guard are essentially useless for a healer in PVE.
Guard reduces damage taken by 5% and threat generated by 25%. A good healer will, in MOST circumstances, be outside of the 15 meter range on guard. In addition, at range, it takes 130% threat to pull off of a tank. This means that the healer will only pull threat on mobs that just aren't being hit. It is the tank & dps's job to hit the mobs. Guard on the healer is not an excuse to use them as a tank. Overall, putting guard on the healer in PvE is generally a worse option than putting it on a dps who is likely to pull threat or "tank" smaller mobs.
A home for busy adults seeking high level PvE in a respectful, mature atmosphere.
Ferne R'y | Sage

Aurojiin
07.06.2012 , 04:00 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Inzi View Post
Guard reduces damage taken by 5% and threat generated by 25%. A good healer will, in MOST circumstances, be outside of the 15 meter range on guard. In addition, at range, it takes 130% threat to pull off of a tank. This means that the healer will only pull threat on mobs that just aren't being hit. It is the tank & dps's job to hit the mobs. Guard on the healer is not an excuse to use them as a tank. Overall, putting guard on the healer in PvE is generally a worse option than putting it on a dps who is likely to pull threat or "tank" smaller mobs.
See, that's why I like this guy. When I've reached IDGAF territory and can't be bothered explaining things anymore, he's got me covered