Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Viability of Healer in Solo PvE?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Viability of Healer in Solo PvE?

Gundato
06.30.2012 , 08:27 PM | #1
This is really my first MMO. So far I have enjoyed making a woefully inadequate DPS Bounty Hunter and a woefully inadequate tank Jedi Guardian. But I've been having fun, so I can learn how to play "correctly" if I ever decide to get into the hardcore PvP crowd :p.

Since I have tried the other two major roles, I want to try a healer.

So how viable would it be to be a healer who focuses on keeping his NPC party member alive? This is a Sith Inquisitor char, but it shouldn't make too much of a difference since the NPCs mostly handle the same roles from char to char. Obviously I would be doing some grouping and maybe a few warzones too, but primarily I would be doing quests and the like with just me and whatever companion I like most.

Thanks.

Jay_Stocker
06.30.2012 , 11:15 PM | #2
If you are leveling in healing spec, it would be murder to just heal your companion who kills (unless ive understood you wrong).

Even as the healer spec, you will have several basic class skills that do damage that you need to throw in to kill the enemy. Its probably best having a tank companion taking the aggro, you top them up (shield if you are inquisitor for example) while really still focusing on dps.

If you are doing warzones, dungeons, especially with the new group finder it should be easy getting grouped if your role in healer. should be great for experience to make up for it.

either way, i found leveling as my healer made me get used to the mechanics and playstyle alot easier than when in other MMos ive switched spec at max level.

Kaesoron
07.01.2012 , 09:18 AM | #3
It's totally viable, I have 4 healers, but truthfully when solo questing you be doing much healing, you only really need to heal in specific situations like double elite packs or class quests.

Personally I have found it to be a bit quicker leveling as healer.
Walk Tall and Shake the Heavens
Beware.. I edit my posts a lot :P

Gundato
07.01.2012 , 09:50 AM | #4
Ah, much appreciated. Was just wondering because my first BH-build (which was even worse :p) had a lot of difficulties in some of the later Chapter 1 planets, so I was concerned for a class where DPS and Survivability are second to support.

Thanks.

Tsukuni
07.01.2012 , 11:28 AM | #5
Tor is very easy going pve wise. Gameplay consists of groups of trash mobs dispatched easily followed by silvers cumulating in the gold mobs. Are you doing all quests or just going straight through your class quests? I'm normally 2 or 3 levels above the mobs I'm fighting as I do all quests I find....it makes levelling easier. If your having difficulty with straight dps classes I can't see you having an easier time with a healer. Try all classes until you find a story that grabs you or a class that appeals to your play style....and do all the quests

ChrisRedmond
07.01.2012 , 11:54 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaesoron View Post
It's totally viable, I have 4 healers, but truthfully when solo questing you be doing much healing, you only really need to heal in specific situations like double elite packs or class quests.

Personally I have found it to be a bit quicker leveling as healer.
This^^

I got a sorc healer and find I just DPS everyone except the Silver star dudes, they get a more 'heal companion, DPS, Heal companion, DPS' kind of rotation, but it works well. I take my DPS companion with me and switch her out for a tank, but only for the boss fights.
If you can't fix it, forget it.

Aniline
07.01.2012 , 02:54 PM | #7
Very Viable.

I'm currently leveling a Scoundrel Smuggler specced Sawbones. Since you start out with your tank companion (Corso), it's fairly easy to let him take the hits while you damage and heal.

For non-elite packs, I'll throw him in to get all the aggro and just blast away at things. If it's elites and up, I'll CC what I can with Tranq an Disable Droid, then heal him while he tanks. I'll throw in some extra damage and CC with Flash Grenade and Dirty Kick.

Scoundrels get a lot of CC that's really useful.

Plus, if things go pear-shaped, you have a lot of useful things to keep yourself alive such as Surrender, Defense Screen, and Dodge. And you can use Disappearing Act to get out of combat if things really do blow up on you.

I <3 my Smuggler.
"The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp."
- Terry Pratchett (The Light Fantastic)