Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scrambled character names after transfer.. HUH?!!?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Scrambled character names after transfer.. HUH?!!?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

xjavajoex
06.30.2012 , 08:45 AM | #1
Ok.. Last night I transfered my characters to a new server. During the initial process, I was told my names were available and all was good. This morning I got the confirmation email saying my characters were transfered sucessfully. When I logged in to play, both of my characters names were just totally scrambled. Ok.. so I tried to play them and was told by a pop up window that my new scrambled names were deemed unacceptable by bioware and I had to change them. When I tried to change them to the original names I was told I couldn't.

I've submited a ticket in game and thru the support link... but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Beesodd
06.30.2012 , 09:04 AM | #2 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hi xjavajoex,

In this case the original names of your characters will not have been available on your destination server, and you will need to change those names to ones that are available on that server.

I apologize for the confusion, but the transfer process on the webpage does not check for the availability of the name on the destination server, but for other factors determining the success or failure of the transfer.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

xjavajoex
06.30.2012 , 10:05 AM | #3
Beesodd,

Thank you for the info. At least now I know what happened.

But, for what its worth (and I know this isnt your fault), Thats just irritating! They should check for name avilability BEFORE a transfer is made! If for no other reason than to know in advance. What if I wanted to go to a server where my name is usable? It would be nice to know before making a move rather than to find out after the fact. It took some time to come up with names I felt good about, and now i have to start over again. I'm not happy... I get that these things will come up due to the nature of these things... I just would have liked to know before hand... thats all.

Anyway, thanks again for the info, and for letting me vent.

bright_ephemera
07.01.2012 , 12:10 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
I apologize for the confusion, but the transfer process on the webpage does not check for the availability of the name on the destination server, but for other factors determining the success or failure of the transfer.
I'm not going to call this oversight criminal, because that would be slightly hyperbolic, but I am incredibly disappointed that my character was irreversibly stripped of his name when I made a transfer. I saw a process of some pre-transfer checks being made, saw that it came up clean, made the transfer, and bam, it turns out I have to rename my character and I cannot undo the transfer to keep my name on the old server.

If you can check whether Aunt Garza's old letters are still in my mailbox, you can check whether my name is registered.

Please, please, please, please fix this so it stops shafting the players who come after me. A character name is 1) easy to check beforehand and 2) not insignificant to the player.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.