Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How I fixed my constant login troubles (error 4001, 1003)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
How I fixed my constant login troubles (error 4001, 1003)

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

hughkinslow
02.27.2012 , 05:50 PM | #1
Hello All,

When I first purchased this game a few days ago, I absolutely COULD NOT play it. It would show blank server screens constantly. I looked through all sorts of forums, and none of the solutions worked for me, so I felt it was important that I say what worked for me, and hopefully it'll work for you.

What was initially happening was a blank server screen every last time, followed by the dreaded error 4001.

My System:
2008 Mac Pro running Windows 7 64 bit
Airport Extreme (from the same year)

Now, what I read over and over was forward the correct ports, so I did, but to no avail. Then I set it up so that my computer used the hardline internet connection as opposed to wireless, also to no avail. I reinstalled, did the launcher fixer, did the repair option in the login screen, all to no avail. Next, I set up the computer to use a static IP for the ports to get forwarded to. Once I did the last step, I could every once in a while get in to see a server, but I'd click it and get error code 1003. So still no luck getting in. This is when I almost gave up.

I kept digging through forums and found and entry about flushing your DNS cache. Well, when I tried to do that in cmd, it kept saying that it "Could not flush DNS resolver Cache: Function failed during execution". This is where I didn't know what to do, so I dug around in the windows forum and found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919746

Basically what it says is that you go into the start, then Run, type services.msc and then click ok. It'll bring up a MASSIVE list of services, you're looking for "DNS client", on my computer it was DISABLED, I changed it to AUTOMATIC, applied it, restarted the computer, and BAM! I've been rocking the game ever since.

It's possible that this is already in a forum already, but I certainly didn't find it. But I just wanted to list a possible solution, as everything I found from official posts never listed this. Again, if it has, I apologize. But I saw a lot of people having trouble, and hopefully this can fix them. I tried everything that I could find, and none of it helped. This final step is what did it for me.

Good Luck!

Bassaul
05.22.2012 , 07:32 PM | #2
Finally!!!!! Someone who solved my problem.

Thank you! Game logs on EVERY TIME now. This fix should be in the troubleshooting section. Much appreciated.

Ogada
05.23.2012 , 02:01 AM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Hughkinslow,

Thank you for posting what resolved your issue, hopefully this will help others who might have the same issue as you.

Thank you for your time.
Ogada | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

Bassaul
05.23.2012 , 02:58 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ogada View Post
Greetings Hughkinslow,

Thank you for posting what resolved your issue, hopefully this will help others who might have the same issue as you.

Thank you for your time.
This solution should be a sticky. If not, may I suggest you alter your Troubleshooting sticky. I recently thought I found the solution to this problem because my swtor.exe wasn't starting as an admin. I have altered my post with a link to this thread.

Bassaul
05.23.2012 , 07:27 AM | #5
Greetings Hughkinslow,

Thank you for your time.
Bumped for the attention of ADMIN. PLEASE STICKY this excellent fix that actually works! I had the exact same problem as Hughkinslow. After trying EVERY fix listed in troubleshooting, this fix actually solved my issue. After trolling the forums looking for a solution I soon realised this is not an uncommon problem. Surely this fix deserves more of a mention since it actually worked.

I would appreciate a reply.

Ogada
05.23.2012 , 07:31 AM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Bassaul,

While it seem like an easy thing to do, we cannot simply sticky something or add it directly to our advertised fixes without investigating it first. I have forwarded it earlier when I made my first reply for review and if it is deemed safe to advise, we can then have it added to sticky.

Thank you for your understanding.
Ogada | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

Bassaul
05.23.2012 , 07:54 AM | #7
Hi Bassaul,

While it seem like an easy thing to do, we cannot simply sticky something or add it directly to our advertised fixes without investigating it first. I have forwarded it earlier when I made my first reply for review and if it is deemed safe to advise, we can then have it added to sticky.

Thank you for your understanding.
Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate that Admin have limits on what can and can not be made into a sticky or alter the official sticky. However, I'd like to point out in defense of this fix that the original poster pointed out:

"I kept digging through forums and found and entry about flushing your DNS cache. Well, when I tried to do that in cmd, it kept saying that it "Could not flush DNS resolver Cache: Function failed during execution".

We were unable to flush our DNS simply because it had not been enabled. May I remind you flushing didn't solve the problem, enabling the DNS led to the fix. If the official word advises people to flush their DNS, then surely they must take into account that it must be enabled in order to do so and advise accordingly.

You mentioned this solution needed to be deemed safe. I support that. However I feel it would be negligent not to mention this point considering you advise people to flush their DNS. I hope the powers that be see the reason in this and update troubleshooting.

Thank you again for your reply.

dbhoman
06.28.2012 , 07:55 PM | #8
Enabling the DNS service on my PC also fixed my problem with error code 1003 and timing out on queues with error code 4001.

Thanks. :-)