Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I don't think fixed means what BioWare seems to think it means

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I don't think fixed means what BioWare seems to think it means
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

onfireguy
06.28.2012 , 12:33 PM | #1
I don't understand how BioWare could think something is fixed to the point where it is declared fixed in a Patch Note, yet it really isn't! How is this allowed to happen? Could somewhere from BioWare please explain what you mean when you use the word "fixed"? Thanks.

Just a few examples of where BioWare uses the word "fixed" in Patch Notes when the issues are NOT fixed. These are just off the top of my head

Stuck frozen upon respawn? Not fixed.
PVP Raid Frame showing all members? Not fixed.
Jawa Balloon randomly resetting? Not fixed.
I am sure others could add to this list.

The first thing that needs fixed is the BioWare dictionary definition of fixed cuz that thing is broke man.

AllisonBerryman
06.28.2012 , 12:41 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
There are instances where multiple issues can contribute to the same symptom. Not every issue has multiple possible causes, but any time we continue to see a problem after a fix for a cause is in, we will keep investigating and issue more fixes as we're able. If you see an issue persist (especially after we've published a patch note that should address it), we encourage you to submit it to us via the In-Game Customer Service portal. Make sure you include as many details as you can - where you were when it happened, exactly what you experienced, etc. More details can help us reproduce the issue and hunt down any continuing causes. Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback!

Criiiiket
06.28.2012 , 12:59 PM | #3
The magic wand they wave whenever there is a problem with their product got stepped on at a party two months ago. sorry for the inconvenience.

Coriolan_Martius
06.28.2012 , 01:09 PM | #4
"You don't need to see our patch notes ... these are not the bug you are looking for ... move along ..."

GnatB
06.28.2012 , 01:09 PM | #5
To be fair, I'm perfectly fine with "fixed" items not being actually fixed, (as the dev poster stated, frequently many problems cause the same result, when one of them is found & fixed, they probably think they squashed the bug)

What irritates me is when something that wasn't broken in the first place is declared as fixed, and only after the fix does it actually become broken.

Miggzy
06.28.2012 , 01:30 PM | #6
I was super disappointed to see that "An issue that could cause the global cooldown to incorrectly occur when rapidly attempting to use multiple abilities has been corrected." was not actually fixed. Seems like a big problem to me, I mean it seems like 10% of the time I use attacks, I have to wait through a 1.5 second GCD while nothing is happening.

Aaroneus
06.28.2012 , 01:35 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by onfireguy View Post
I don't understand how BioWare could think something is fixed to the point where it is declared fixed in a Patch Note, yet it really isn't! How is this allowed to happen? Could somewhere from BioWare please explain what you mean when you use the word "fixed"? Thanks.

Just a few examples of where BioWare uses the word "fixed" in Patch Notes when the issues are NOT fixed. These are just off the top of my head

Stuck frozen upon respawn? Not fixed.
PVP Raid Frame showing all members? Not fixed.
Jawa Balloon randomly resetting? Not fixed.
I am sure others could add to this list.

The first thing that needs fixed is the BioWare dictionary definition of fixed cuz that thing is broke man.
are you a software designer?
Xterra - Sniper <Nothing-Personal>

Vinaya
06.28.2012 , 01:51 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Aaroneus View Post
are you a software designer?
I am, and fixing code issues can be infuriating, especially when more than one programmer is working on a system. Earlier this week I traced a six line error report that was ostensibly on line 1020 of file A to a one line change made on line 126 by another programmer, in a file I wrote that the other programmer was using a function from. Somewhere in his code there was a small error that didn't register until a search function (which is where the error logs said the problem was), my code, and his code (where the error actually existed) all interacted together. It doesn't surprise me at all that in a code base the size of SWTOR there can be multiple problems that all look similar and aren't easy to track.
I just figure that every time someone dies and it's not me, my odds of survival go up. ~Jack

Arkerus
06.28.2012 , 02:10 PM | #9
Unless you have some idea how hard it is to troubleshoot code, procedures, database logic, etc, you can complain all you want but your opinion isn't worth much.

Because if you DID have some idea how hard it is you wouldn't be complaining about it and instead a little more understanding.

Now if Bioware does something blatently "stupid", I can understand your frustration but for the most part they have been locking down bugs and fixing them.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Darth_Bond
06.28.2012 , 02:14 PM | #10
im still having the 'sound' issue from like patch 1.2.....they said it was 'fixed' a long time ago....you know the issue where mid convo the sound goes away....randomely, and then for other parts of conversations with npcs its there....and then it decides to go awol again..
Story is so important i sold starwars to disney and asked jj abrams to direct the new star wars film....and that is why we cant have faction change!