Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

change of color in FPS meter?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
change of color in FPS meter?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tehlamon
06.26.2012 , 06:25 PM | #1
Why is the FPS meter in red text instead of green after patch 1.3? The overall FPS seems the same.

BellaEva
06.26.2012 , 08:00 PM | #2
I would also like to know this. Before today I did not even know it changed color at all (did it?)

After 1.3, it blinks between red, yellow and green, spending probably the majority of the time on green.

Gidrea
06.26.2012 , 08:07 PM | #3
I'd like to know, too. It's always been green, no matter how high or low the number was. Now it's flashing, and to be even more confusing, it's red on higher numbers.

BellaEva
06.26.2012 , 09:47 PM | #4
Now mine's green and staying there....

ThroneOfOP
06.26.2012 , 10:01 PM | #5
Hehe..
It keeps on changing colors on my screen. Green to Red to Green in seconds.. It's erratic.. wish I new what that meant.
I'm so happy the fonts are too small to become a distraction.
My Res is at 2560 x 1440.

Cerimon
06.26.2012 , 10:12 PM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings All,

The color of the FPS display indicates whether the game is GPU bound or CPU bound. Most likely the display will be red when the game is CPU bound and yellow when GPU bound and green when neither of those. We will investigate further and come back with a definitive answer as soon as possible.

Thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

nrazen_nl
06.27.2012 , 07:05 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
[color=#f9d648The color of the FPS display indicates whether the game is GPU bound or CPU bound. Most likely the display will be red when the game is CPU bound and yellow when GPU bound and green when neither of those. We will investigate further and come back with a definitive answer as soon as possible.[/color]
That would be some nice functionality, if it turns out to be true. Thing is, why isn't this mentioned in the patch notes?

Cerimon
06.27.2012 , 02:16 PM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings All,

So the actual explanation of the FPS display colors:

Red = Rendering bound/Video Card
Green = Simulation bound/CPU
Yellow = Mix of both
Current FPS (Lowest FPS over the last 10 seconds or so)

@nrazen_nl: some things just don't get into the patchnotes.

Thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

beatnickbonz
06.29.2012 , 02:12 PM | #9
Mine has been doing the same thing, fickering between red, yellow, and green even with fps at 60-90. Before the 1.3 patch my numbers were the same but they were always solid green.

Culltacular
06.29.2012 , 02:41 PM | #10
The same thing has happened to me, prior to 1.2 vertical sync held my FPS at 60, numbers were always green. Now I'm struggling to get 50, and it is constantly cycling green, red, yellow.