Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Were Flashpoints really that difficult before?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Were Flashpoints really that difficult before?

Veritask's Avatar


Veritask
06.26.2012 , 01:47 PM | #1
Before update 1.3 that is. One of the things that really stood out to me in the patch notes was the arbitrary "dumbing down" of the flashpoints, specifically hard mode ones. This really made me wonder if the instances were truly that challenging for most players...to me it just seems like a nonsense decrease in whatever difficulty was there before.

That this happened at the same time as the group finder goes live, is obviously no mere coincidence. So I ask myself, and my fellow forum goers: Is this the new generation of MMORPGs? End game content that requires no communication, or strategy, that a group of four random players can do together in a breeze the first time without ever saying a word to one another? Personally, it makes me feel as the rewards(read: gear) are simply given anymore rather than earned.

Am I just behind the times, or does anyone else see this as a problem?

RangKer's Avatar


RangKer
06.26.2012 , 01:51 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Veritask View Post
Before update 1.3 that is. One of the things that really stood out to me in the patch notes was the arbitrary "dumbing down" of the flashpoints, specifically hard mode ones. This really made me wonder if the instances were truly that challenging for most players...to me it just seems like a nonsense decrease in whatever difficulty was there before.

That this happened at the same time as the group finder goes live, is obviously no mere coincidence. So I ask myself, and my fellow forum goers: Is this the new generation of MMORPGs? End game content that requires no communication, or strategy, that a group of four random players can do together in a breeze the first time without ever saying a word to one another? Personally, it makes me feel as the rewards(read: gear) are simply given anymore rather than earned.

Am I just behind the times, or does anyone else see this as a problem?
In reality no, what you are asking, no. Although, over any course of time, most MMOs will dumb down PvE Content when concept and talk or introductions to higher level caps to allow faster leveling to play and experiance ne content.

Also it could be that there was a Pinball wizard who complained enough that easily content already was to hard,
[ S Y N E X U S ]
[ D E V A R O N I A N ]

Veritask's Avatar


Veritask
06.26.2012 , 02:02 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by RangKer View Post
In reality no, what you are asking, no. Although, over any course of time, most MMOs will dumb down PvE Content when concept and talk or introductions to higher level caps to allow faster leveling to play and experiance ne content.

Also it could be that there was a Pinball wizard who complained enough that easily content already was to hard,
I see your point but that is kinda also the problem...they're going to increase the level cap by what about 5? 45-50 isn't some epic journey that you feel really accomplished about since you get massive exp rewards for quests/fps/pvp matches as you get to a higher level to compensate for the increased exp reward for the next level. I don't know just seems like there should be some sort of feeling of accomplishment for reaching the level cap, not something that is handed to you. Making it so FPs can be grinded quicker only makes it less of an accomplishment to reach whatever new level cap is introduced.

Nolenthar's Avatar


Nolenthar
06.26.2012 , 02:11 PM | #4
No, they were not, but massively multiplayer games apply to mass, and masses are just plain bad players who don't really like to try to do better, whether because it's not fun for them (fair enough) or because this is just a game and they want to enjoy it easily just as they enjoy a solo player game in easy/normal difficulty.

It obviously cripples the fun of the more competitive crowd, but that's why you have 2-man FP HM, EC HM, LI HM, etc.
Kao'celaar Ildorii, Juyo Master, Mystical Awakening

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
06.26.2012 , 03:21 PM | #5
I have to be honest. Reducing the level of trash in several FPs makes me happy. I'll agree though that reducing the difficulty of some of the bosses just seems kind of pointless. For the few fights that were gear checks, you could easily do other FPs to gear up for. For the even fewer that were coordination checks, I feel these are just as important to preparing people for Operations as actually giving them gear is.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

NoxiousAlby's Avatar


NoxiousAlby
06.26.2012 , 08:02 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Veritask View Post
Before update 1.3 that is. One of the things that really stood out to me in the patch notes was the arbitrary "dumbing down" of the flashpoints, specifically hard mode ones. This really made me wonder if the instances were truly that challenging for most players...to me it just seems like a nonsense decrease in whatever difficulty was there before.

That this happened at the same time as the group finder goes live, is obviously no mere coincidence. So I ask myself, and my fellow forum goers: Is this the new generation of MMORPGs? End game content that requires no communication, or strategy, that a group of four random players can do together in a breeze the first time without ever saying a word to one another? Personally, it makes me feel as the rewards(read: gear) are simply given anymore rather than earned.

Am I just behind the times, or does anyone else see this as a problem?
In my opinion the only HM FP that required nerfing for the average random group was LI, and perhaphs Mentor in D7. Everything else should have been doable without 3rd party comms

Vladnar's Avatar


Vladnar
06.27.2012 , 12:04 AM | #7
Players being overequipped is more the problem and it doesn't stop them saying its too easy, and they usually know what to do anyway so don't need the chat.

They just need to ensure the end stuff stays tough enough is the main issue, and the rewards enough there for all to see.

Lets see how they do.

Nolenthar's Avatar


Nolenthar
06.27.2012 , 01:45 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Vladnar View Post
Players being overequipped is more the problem and it doesn't stop them saying its too easy, and they usually know what to do anyway so don't need the chat.
Gear has not much to do with that. Current FP HM are doable with a 4-man group in level 40 green considering how hardly nerfed they were. It unfortunately breaks a bit the feeling of progression as you can easily hit 50 and go directly farm columi gear without even doing any daily nor needing to up your game a single bit. I can even assure you that if the game allowed you to enter HM before 50, you would easily be able to do them with a 4-man of level 46-48 for some of them.

Sad, but not much we can do about it. Hopefully new FPs will come before the average+ players have left.
Kao'celaar Ildorii, Juyo Master, Mystical Awakening

WillHolmes's Avatar


WillHolmes
06.27.2012 , 08:55 AM | #9
Yea this is way to easy now, honestly been maing excuses for BW since the game came out and just getting tired of it. Like it was not hard before at all we could beat any FP no wipes including LI not my fault some people cant seem to triple task (walk, attack, look at floor) and doing all 3 smartly.

Anyways yea this is just dumb how easy it is.

The only way i remotely support this is if during the "this year" stuff when they said "new nightmare flashpoints" if they legit might Nightmare Flashpoints and not just talking about Nightmare EC cause i could care less that is an incredibly boring operation kephass is a cool fight tho.

Like lets get some real Star Wars operations going here, like the infernal council could have been so cool, with a rotate mechanic or something where the guy u fight gives a debuff agaisnt himself. Or if they all lunged to the middle and circled up for a crazy final 10%.

Anyways startin to babble point being ***** TO EASY (flashpoints anyways)

NasherUK's Avatar


NasherUK
06.27.2012 , 12:09 PM | #10
There are a few hard bosses. But in general FPs are to easy.

They really need to just stop listening to people who cry about stuff being to hard. Nerfing everything is not going to win more players.