Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Screen resolution completely borked: UI looks right, game looks wrong

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Screen resolution completely borked: UI looks right, game looks wrong
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

QwiXXeR
12.18.2011 , 06:54 PM | #31
So if this issue has been reported numerous times and was present in BETA why is there no official response/recognition from the DEVS ?. Understandably the fix mite not be so straight forward unless that Aspect ratio option would sort it.
It effects all OS and GPU's with seemingly the only common thing being the ability for the user to use a 2nd monitor 4 which they cant adjust the aspect ratio properly ?

Is Bioware just quietly trying to ignore it ?

Its really frustrating to play like this. Close quarters PVP is just a loss because you cant see whats happening and I'm really loosing out on the immersion of cut scenes when characters are often offscreen. Also just the general awesomeness of exploring new areas is lost when you cant see enough on your screen at one time to take it all in

Elaraa
12.18.2011 , 07:35 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by QwiXXeR View Post
So if this issue has been reported numerous times and was present in BETA why is there no official response/recognition from the DEVS ?. Understandably the fix mite not be so straight forward unless that Aspect ratio option would sort it.
It effects all OS and GPU's with seemingly the only common thing being the ability for the user to use a 2nd monitor 4 which they cant adjust the aspect ratio properly ?

Is Bioware just quietly trying to ignore it ?

Its really frustrating to play like this. Close quarters PVP is just a loss because you cant see whats happening and I'm really loosing out on the immersion of cut scenes when characters are often offscreen. Also just the general awesomeness of exploring new areas is lost when you cant see enough on your screen at one time to take it all in
Amen to THIS! Same issue w/ me. I have another monitor and trying to disconnect it to fix the problem did nothing as the computer still sees it as present even though it's greyed out and "not activated". It's a shame, I really wanted to play this game too.

janai
12.18.2011 , 07:45 PM | #33
Gnah. Okay. Count me in as one of the Boot Campers whose problems were fixed by the specific driver update mentioned in this thread. THANK YOU.

For everyone else, fingers crossed -- they really need to figure out a global fix for this soon!

Cerimon
12.18.2011 , 09:41 PM | #34 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings All,

Please try the following steps to resolve this issue:
  • Set the game resolution to your displays native resolution. Do this via the graphics options in the game rather than via modification of client_defaults.ini
  • Ensure you have installed the latest Service Pack for your Operating System.
  • Ensure you have the latest updates for .Net Framework and C++ Redistributables.
  • Be sure to have the latest drivers for your graphics card.
If these steps fail to resolve the issue please try using successively earlier graphics drivers until one is found that hopefully fixes this problem.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for Pre-Ordering Star Wars™: The Old Republic™

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

QwiXXeR
12.19.2011 , 04:44 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by A4-I4 View Post
Greetings All,

Please try the following steps to resolve this issue:
  • Set the game resolution to your displays native resolution. Do this via the graphics options in the game rather than via modification of client_defaults.ini
  • Ensure you have installed the latest Service Pack for your Operating System.
  • Ensure you have the latest updates for .Net Framework and C++ Redistributables.
  • Be sure to have the latest drivers for your graphics card.
If these steps fail to resolve the issue please try using successively earlier graphics drivers until one is found that hopefully fixes this problem.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for Pre-Ordering Star Wars™: The Old Republic™
  • Set my res to native, and tried many others, All it does is change the aspect ratio of UI elements, does nothing for the aspect ratio of the actual game
  • XP Service pack 3 installed
  • .Net 3.5 installed and latest distributibles
  • Had the latest drivers, Have been painstakingly completely uninstalling dispaly drivers and trying older versions, gone back a few and had absolutely no luck so far! just feels like MY FPS has got worse as a result

Still no luck what so ever /

You think you could please give us an aspect ratio option ?, or possbile a command to put into the .ini to force an aspect ratio for now ? Please.

Warbuxx
12.19.2011 , 11:19 PM | #36
I am having the same issue with squashed rendered graphics but not the UI. I have been extremely frustrated for the last couple days. I have scoured this forum, which wasn't easy as the "search" function had been disabled.

My problems started on Dec 17, which also is the same day a "patch" was implemented. I was not part of the beta, I started playing "pre-order" on Dec16 and did not have this issue nor any other issue. I was enjoying the game. I made no changes to anything whatsoever between the time I logged off and powered up the next morning.

I searched the forums and found a few threads with this same issue. None of them contained anything from CS, nor other users that would fix this issue for me, including the "fixes" from CS in this thread, which of course did not solve the problem. In a futile attemt I tried everything I could find. I even submitted an ingame ticket on Dec 17. Their reply was on Dec 19 in which they just said they would pass this information on to technicians.

I had hoped that this issue would be solved by launch but alas it is not.

So if youv'e tried all of these possible "fixes" and still have the problem be aware that you are not the only one.

LumosX
12.20.2011 , 12:24 AM | #37
I had a low resolution problem at 1920x1200 using the latest Nvidia beta driver 290.36. Problem went away after I switched back to the whql 285.62 driver. Now looks really good.

Nezarn
12.20.2011 , 04:42 PM | #38
I have this issue as well. Game is stretched out and looks pretty ridiculous. Other than the odd stretching, the game runs very smooth. Running through bootcamp on Windows XP, all drivers are up to date, and service pack 3 is installed.

Packetdancer
12.20.2011 , 06:58 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Nezarn View Post
Running through bootcamp on Windows XP, all drivers are up to date, and service pack 3 is installed.
If you are under Bootcamp and your Mac has an ATI card, did you yet try downgrading to the specific drivers listed earlier in the thread? It seems like those work better for Bootcamp setups under Windows XP for some reason.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris) / Random CS Forum Participant
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

docTOR: SWTOR Launcher Troubleshooting Guide

QwiXXeR
12.20.2011 , 07:00 PM | #40
Still no fix

Any1 who is having these problems please try the above steps to try resolve and post back so they can see this isnt simply a driver issue but a game issue.

Coz I though it was bad not being able to see a lot while questing but doing the space missions is a real let down

Many of the things I need to shoot, Ships and turrets etc are often offscreen. Extremely frustrating!