Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cannot load any character, times out (9000)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Cannot load any character, times out (9000)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Agouti
06.27.2012 , 03:18 AM | #1
I submitted a customer support ticket, but I've given up waiting for a response.

I can log in to the game, load the character screen & create new characters on any server I pick, however when I try to actually play a character it fails to load. The loading bar gets to about 20% then stops, eventually (20min+) timing out with a code 9000.

If I use a proxy service, such as Lagless, it is possible for me to connect however given that I am on an Australian server, playing from Australia, I get a hideous ping if I do. Setting up a local proxy service and piping it through there does not work.

When I tried creating a character it did load, however I could not move or perform any actions, with the server ping steadily climbing.

I have tried repairing, turning of IPv6, disabling windows firewall and DMZ'ing from the router. The game appears to successfully establish both it's working connections (from netstat).

While it looks like it's a local connection or router problem - since using a proxy fixes it - I have never had this problem before 1.3.

Kindajenin
06.27.2012 , 03:26 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Agouti,

The first thing I will ask you to do is to run the repair function on the launcher, after this can you do the following.

When you are logged into SWTOR, press the Alt+Tab keys together.

One thing I must mention to you Agouti is that connection issues although similar can occur for many different reasons and I am trying to get you to localize the problem so we can find a solution for you.

Spoiler

Post the information on the forums if you can and include in spoiler tags. Can you also please remove your IP address from all information you post on the forums.

Thank you.
Kindajenin| BioWare Customer Service – Forum Support

Agouti
06.27.2012 , 03:46 AM | #3
Netstat
Spoiler

Pathping
Spoiler

Tracert
Spoiler

Thank-you for your prompt reply!

Kindajenin
06.27.2012 , 03:58 AM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Agouti,

Ok, well all the information you sent me look perfectly ok, can I ask you to read the follow and make sure you have everything in place with your settings.

You may need to re-allow the launcher (launcher.exe) and game client (swtor.exe) to communicate through your firewall and anti-virus. Please be aware that we do not recommend to turn off firewall or your internet security completely.

For all those not sure how to set up exceptions for their firewall or internet security software please refer to following pages when using the Windows built-in firewall:

Windows 7
Windows Vista
Windows XP

(Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content of other websites.)

If you are using a 3rd party software or Internet security software with built-in firewall please refer to the manual you have received with your software package. When you don't have a manual you have to visit the website of your software developer.

Also make sure you have only one firewall working at the same time. Never use a firewall delivered with your internet security software package together with your windows firewall - turn one of them off.

Don't use a proxy - it may interfere with the communication between your client and our servers. When you are on a public network like on the campus of an university or a hotel you have to contact the network administrator because they may block some ports used for server communication.

Please ensure that you have the correct ports opened in your router settings see this link and that you have both the launcher.exe and the swtor_setup.exe added to the exceptions of your firewall and any antivirus software.

We also recommend that you turn off any software you are not using as long as you play Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Thank you for your patience.

Agouti
06.27.2012 , 04:39 AM | #5
I don't use any third party firewalls or antivirus, just Windows Firewall and MSE. I have double-checked the Windows Firewall exceptions, and added both swtor.exe and fixlauncher.exe, as they were not present (only the launcher).

I am not in a university network or similar, just a LAN and ADSL modem/router. Other games seem to work fine, for example, SC2.

I can attach the client log, if that helps - I haven't at this point as I don't know if there is any information in there I need to avoid copying.

It is worth noting that UPNP doesn't want to work properly with this router, however I have forwarded the ports that I found through google, namely,

80, 8995, 12,000 - 12,999 & 20,000 - 30,000

as well as at one point full DMZ, to no avail.

The link provided for the ports in the post above results in a 404

Kindajenin
06.27.2012 , 05:13 AM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings Agouti,

At this point we would advise you to contact your Technical Support team to investigate your issue further.

If you could also attach your DxDiag, MsInfo, pathping and tracert to your email.

I am sorry I was unable to resolve your issue on the forums.