Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

State of the Game: My Opinion (Please share your thoughts)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
State of the Game: My Opinion (Please share your thoughts)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RiversBlack
06.25.2012 , 03:55 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by llesna View Post
That's good to know.

Could you please also advise on:

1) A toggle for the helmet audio distortion for players and companions, so we can have a helmet without the voice distortion if we wish.
2) Fixing the "big butt" issue experienced by many jedi knights with body type 2 and many robes.
3) Hood toggle for players and companions. (This has been requested for the longest time.)
4) Choosing the colour of your chest piece (and for companions) via a colour hue selection.
5) Giving players the ability to change appearance in-game after the character creation scheme.
6) Allow companions to wear gear that has a class requirement (i.e., Nadia should be able to wear Consular gear but can't; Scourge should be able to wear Sith Warrior gear but can't etc.)
7) Giving players the ability to change character and legacy names?

All of these are very important to customisation.
Re: No. 5, we really need *more* options for hair and face types in particular. There are so few character designs I can feel OK playing with. Maybe 3-4 hair styles are decent. The spiky style in the front looks incredibly lame and nerdy on both lengths.

Sardoodledom
06.25.2012 , 04:12 PM | #122
First response: Huh?

There are greater game breaking issues.

1. Classes are broken

First of all, lets talk about all the class nerfs/buffs that have DESTROYED months of work. You level a character over a month, spend months gearing it in raids of grinding pvp (will talk about this later) and then in one patch you are rendered useless. I have been through this with an operative and now a sorcerer. Both classes are literally worthless in terms of balance against other more powerful classes (aka powertech and juggernaut). What am i supposed to do? Level a 3rd character just to watch you nerf the crap out of that and buff a 4th class? Developers need to seriously consider BALANCE as a PVP and a PVE issue. Why should I bring a DPS sorc to a raid who will get buried by a DPS powertech due to fight mechanics and abilities?

2. Excessive PVP Grind and the Gear Gap

I know there are time sinks, but this is ridiculous. First, you need to GRIND your base Battlemaster gear (which was a LOT worse pre-1.2) and then you need to pay 3x as much for war hero gear thanks to turn in ratios of 3:1 for rated coms and a broken pvp warzone system. Has anyone considered that I dont want to spend a week grinding pvp for 1 piece of gear? Furthermore, what happens when you re-enter the pvp system? I stopped playing my main after 1.3 and re-entered the PVP warzone system with a significant gear gap that was unbridgeable on my server. How the hell am I supposed to go against people wearing AUGMENTED War Hero gear while im wearing recruit gear and grinding towards war hero? You get slaughtered! Why bother? Is that fun? Is that a quality game experience? Why not just roll an assassin and AFK my way to gear like everyone else is doing?! There is no skill involved. As noted on my previous 2 points its all class selection and gear!

3. Fix the Money System in regards to Legacy and Implementation

What is the purpose of credits in this game? The GTN is a joke and you have to stop and ask yourself WHY the Legacy system was imposed on us with rank AND money requirements? If the average player has 1 million credits, is this yet another time sink? If this is they case, why is your entire economic and leveling system just a giant time sink? A time sink play system is not enjoyable. It is exactly that: a sink. You are wasting your time (money, experience, enjoyment) with no something which you have no real joy in. Why are we playing a game to do things we do not enjoy? Has anyone addressed the issue of playing this game to have FUN?!

You dont believe me? Tell you what devs: go queue for a warzone... better yet, go try to do daily quests and see the level of players that are out there right now trying to get by. They are under geared, under skilled, and have selected classes you have discarded as "support" by making them under powered.

Is this the player experience you envisioned when you started the SWTOR project 3 years ago?

RiversBlack
06.25.2012 , 04:22 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Synxos View Post
The LFG tool for instance. All of the flashpoints are centralized in one location. Anyone looking for a group should have just went to the fleet....like most do currently.
A LFG tool really won't do much. People aren't finding groups because people aren't looking for groups. A LFG tool isn't going to magically fix this, like many are going to find out soon enough.
Highly disagree. I have gone down there before to try that, and it's rare to find anyone since no one wants to sit there waiting for the right combination for too long, especially when servers were too spread out because BioWare began with more than it should have.

Even though there is a chunk of people who just aren't looking to group, it's a small number who *never* want to group, and this feature should stimulate group usage significantly because people who would otherwise forgo it or leave it up to chance encounters will now have a terrifically passive way to find groups while continuing along with other objectives and whatnot.

I did a Lv. 28 Heroic 4 solo when I was Lv. 35, taking forever, just because there was no one around the area and I didn't want to leave the planet without crossing it off. It was slow but doable...but I would have preferred to have had another person with me to speed things up and make it more reasonable (when you run out of force, it's no fun). With a group finder, I could have queued it up and had a better chance at finding help while I was doing some of the earlier quests.

EDIT: I will say this: If Bioware put a GTN and mailbox on the same floor/area as the flashpoint terminal area (terminology is escaping me), people would be a heck of a lot more likely to congregate there and see other players standing near a flashpoint they were looking to do. One vendor is not enough to keep people busy there.

Polebreaker
06.25.2012 , 04:35 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Meruror View Post
I have to say I'm a bit confused as to why this is so much harder. The game can already disable the hood if certain conditions are present (character is a Twi'lek or wearing a particular headgear). Why not just give control of that toggle to the player like we have the option not to show the headgear? Yes, "hood not displayed" is not the same as "hood down", but it's close enough for most situations.
It's the same excuse they used MONTHS ago when the game first came out and we all started complaining. We pointed out that the game engine/art/everything already supports a simple removal toggle, as evidenced by twilek hood removal as well as various other headpieces disabling the hood... and yet we were told that for some reason this was an "art department" issue... well 6 months later and I guess the art department still hasnt learned out to code in an option in the preferences to simply enable the already existing code as a user toggle.......

http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...9&postcount=30

^ pretty much the last real info we heard on it...

cashogy
06.25.2012 , 05:09 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by MattBoudreaux View Post
It actually is a very high priority. Identity is incredibly important in an MMO and we're always looking at ways to help players better express themselves and facilitate strengthening that identity.

You list some very thoughtful suggestions, and while I can't promise any of those things will ever happen, we definitely appreciate your feedback and take it seriously.

However, I'm happy to let you know that we do have plans for extra customization coming in the near future. For instance, companions will have all the match to chest options (as well as hide helmet) that a player has, and those settings will store per companion. Obviously some companions won't get the benefit of this feature (i.e. Khem Val, SCORPIO, etc. - anyone who doesn't really wear the armor you give them), but you won't have to stare at multi-colored Aric Jorgan anymore - that's gotta count for something.
any chance we could customize the "acquire focus target's target" keybind? right now its locked to CTRL+F, and there is no way to change it in the Keybinds menu. would really like to be able to rebind it to something a little easier to press

Tricky-Ha
06.25.2012 , 06:48 PM | #126
It actually is a very high priority. Identity is incredibly important in an MMO and we're always looking at ways to help players better express themselves and facilitate strengthening that identity.

You list some very thoughtful suggestions, and while I can't promise any of those things will ever happen, we definitely appreciate your feedback and take it seriously.

However, I'm happy to let you know that we do have plans for extra customization coming in the near future. For instance, companions will have all the match to chest options (as well as hide helmet) that a player has, and those settings will store per companion. Obviously some companions won't get the benefit of this feature (i.e. Khem Val, SCORPIO, etc. - anyone who doesn't really wear the armor you give them), but you won't have to stare at multi-colored Aric Jorgan anymore - that's gotta count for something.
Thank you tons for speaking up Matt, I really enjoyed hearing you speak up as AdeptStrain on the SWG forums & am glad that you are finally talking here , I hope to see more of your posts in the future.
You don't know about me, You don't know about me
I'm a gangster , I'm a gangster
I'm a player, I'm a player

Dyvim
06.25.2012 , 09:38 PM | #127
It actually is a very high priority...
Make it higher...alot higher. Like so high it doesnt cost me hours of grinding to have the cosmetics of the outfit I want...what you have now can NOT even come CLOSE to comparing to the ease, appeal, flexibility, and customer satisfaction of an appearance tab... TOR isnt even a poor cousin. Translation...it sux.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

Ashlian
06.25.2012 , 10:27 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Ancaglon View Post
It will also save some pointless mod-swapping for those of us who like to see our companions' faces without having to do weird stuff like getting a Jedi "headband" and modding that for Elara Dorne, Tharan Cedrax, Nadia Grell etc., ...

Thumbs up, and hope this man gets his code live, and gets a pay rise too!
I didn't mind getting the jedi headband on the Pub side, but dear sweet Sith....the Imperials have some terribad headslot options if you have any desire to see your companions' faces. I was seriously considering the viability of Social 5 on all my Imperial characters so I could um....get slave collars for all my companions. As, sadly, the most unobtrusive headslot option available, since I couldn't quite see several of them in either the Ulgo circlet or the Hoth headband. Malavai Quinn in the Hoth headband.....HAH! The slave collar, on the other hand......he might end up in the that, regardless of headslot options

The companion options can't come soon enough! Whoohoo to hear confirmation on them!

GalacticKegger
06.25.2012 , 10:32 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by llesna View Post
5) Giving players the ability to change appearance in-game after the character creation scheme.
7) Giving players the ability to change character and legacy names?
I personally think these are quality of life features that would most rival 1.2's customizable UI in terms of overall positive impact on personalizing the gameplay experience.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

drosalion
06.25.2012 , 10:34 PM | #130
Quote:
-Remove the credit costs to unslot modifications, allowing us to change out pieces of equipment for free.
-Remove faction and weight class limitations from all armor.
-Make all armor become adaptive, so that it acts as the highest weight class available to a character, (allowing anyone to wear any armor, provided they meet the lvl. requirements and whatever.)
-Make an orange Custom class version of ALL models of armor available.
-Create some kind of dye system that allows us to choose the colors of our armor, and if possible our weapons. (This needs to happen as soon as possible, at least for armor.)
-A larger number of options at character creation would also be appreciated. For example why are Humans the only ones with facial hair options? A separate facial hair option would be nice for cyborgs and any other species that can have it.
-Oh and of course the ability to put any hood up or down.
Could not agree more with this list of changes. The character creator is so inredibly limited its just completely frustrating. Its people's first impression of the game and the connection with the character is probably one of the most important aspects of the game due to the story element.

Then, once the character is created, actually making them wear what you want and be the way you want is near impossible. The entire game of customising your character is about making the best compromises and getting what you're least displeased with, as opposed to having a vision for a character then being able to create it.

Armor dyes need to happen. The match-to-chest option is so incredibly limited. Yes, i get it - the chest piece is the hardest to get, but its irrelevant. There are so few coloured variations of different chest pieces that chances are you wont be able to get the colour scheme you want anyway.

There are also far too few orange armours. We should be able to get the appearance of every single piece of armor in the game. There are so many green lower level items that look awesome that just dont have an orange version of them. Likewise the NPC's all throughout the game wear some of the best armors in the game and the players have absolutely no access to them (the marauder PVP set without the scuba-tank and spikes, for example), as well as numerous colour variations that we cant access because of the limited match-to-chest option.

Lastly the set bonuses need to be move-able for ALL tiers of PVP/PVE gear, not just campaign/warhero that the majority of level 50 players wont have. The second a new player hits level 50 if they dont want to sacrifice stats they have to suffer through several tiers of some of the worst looking end game gear in history until they can get to a point where they can look like what they want (a point i would bet very few players are at atm).

All in all the entire time playing when wanting to make the character how you want - for me anyway - its always been "oh this looks awesome... too bad i cant look like that for one of a dozen different reasons... ill just have to make do with this as it looks ok and not completely terrible".