Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

State of the Game: My Opinion (Please share your thoughts)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
State of the Game: My Opinion (Please share your thoughts)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Olostur's Avatar


Olostur
06.25.2012 , 10:06 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by MattBoudreaux View Post
It actually is a very high priority. Identity is incredibly important in an MMO and we're always looking at ways to help players better express themselves and facilitate strengthening that identity.

You list some very thoughtful suggestions, and while I can't promise any of those things will ever happen, we definitely appreciate your feedback and take it seriously.

However, I'm happy to let you know that we do have plans for extra customization coming in the near future. For instance, companions will have all the match to chest options (as well as hide helmet) that a player has, and those settings will store per companion. Obviously some companions won't get the benefit of this feature (i.e. Khem Val, SCORPIO, etc. - anyone who doesn't really wear the armor you give them), but you won't have to stare at multi-colored Aric Jorgan anymore - that's gotta count for something.
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to reply! Might I trouble you for an update on the hood up/down feature as well?
~ Darth Decimal ~

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.25.2012 , 10:12 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
Since Matt is the programmer who basically made the Appearance Tab for Star Wars Galaxies in his free time, I'd take his points on customization seriously.
Had anyone else posted this, I'd have been skeptical. But you're correct - Matt is unequaled with his track record. I'm THRILLED to see him post on this subject!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Ancaglon's Avatar


Ancaglon
06.25.2012 , 10:27 AM | #93
It will also save some pointless mod-swapping for those of us who like to see our companions' faces without having to do weird stuff like getting a Jedi "headband" and modding that for Elara Dorne, Tharan Cedrax, Nadia Grell etc., ...

Thumbs up, and hope this man gets his code live, and gets a pay rise too!

MattBoudreaux's Avatar


MattBoudreaux
06.25.2012 , 10:35 AM | #94 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Olostur View Post
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to reply! Might I trouble you for an update on the hood up/down feature as well?
This one is a bit harder to do as it requires some changes to our art pipeline. I can't promise anything but many people in the studio want that feature (myself included).
Gameplay Programmer
BioWare Austin

Ouroborica's Avatar


Ouroborica
06.25.2012 , 10:42 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
State of The Game: My Opinion
1. Customization needs to be a higher priority.

-Remove the credit costs to unslot modifications, allowing us to change out pieces of equipment for free.
-Remove faction and weight class limitations from all armor.
-Make all armor become adaptive, so that it acts as the highest weight class available to a character, (allowing anyone to wear any armor, provided they meet the lvl. requirements and whatever.)
-Make an orange Custom class version of ALL models of armor available.
-Create some kind of dye system that allows us to choose the colors of our armor, and if possible our weapons. (This needs to happen as soon as possible, at least for armor.)
-I would also like to see a voice pitch feature, which would allow us to raise or lower our character's tone of voice.
-A larger number of options at character creation would also be appreciated. For example why are Humans the only ones with facial hair options? A separate facial hair option would be nice for cyborgs and any other species that can have it.
-Oh and of course the ability to put any hood up or down.
Most of these are fine as suggestions but I really don't know about allowing all armor for everyone though. I feel like a Consular should look different from a Juggernaut

Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post

2. The current crafting system is broken.

-So far I have tried Synthweaving and Cybertech, and have had two VERY different experiences. My main experience is with Synthweaving, and I'm sorry but it's just ridiculous. The crafting system is so complex, cumbersome, confusing and unintuitive that I hardly use it. This is another feature that has left me shaking my head. I was really excited by the prospect of crafting in the time before launch, but have been severely let down.

When I open my Synthweaving window, I am greeted by a massive list of recipes; most of which are for items that no one will ever want and there is no reason for me to make. And for every green recipe, I can reverse engineer it to learn up to 17 variations of that item. Of course in the time it would take to get the one I want, I could easily outlevel the item and obtain a better item through questing or Flashpoints.

Now, as a Synthweaver, I basically just look for recipes for orange items to see if they offer any kind of new cool appearance. But I see no real reason to try to craft and sell any items because I never needed to go on the markets to find armor so why would anyone else? When I have sold crafted items on the market I can only seem to sell them at a price that barely gives me any profit, and is therefore not worth the hassle. Of course I now have the option of making Augments, but finding recipes on the market that are good enough is hard to do, and if I do find one it is insanely overpriced.
Just because you wouldn't buy it doesn't mean someone else wouldn't buy it. There is plenty of opportunity to make money selling mid-level blues on the market, you should try it. Not just Synth & Armor, but implants from Bio and ear pieces from Cyber all can and do sell.

Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post

3. Social tools need fixing.

Ways to improve the guild system:

-Let us inspect guild members even if they are offline.
-Let us search our guild for crafters and inspect their recipes. Then let us basically place an order with the item that we would like that person to make us. Then, whenever they are on, they can look at their orders, craft the items, and have them automatically sent to the recipient.
-Guild coalitions or whatever you want to call it would also be nice. Allowing larger groups to communicate.
-Some kind of in-game event calendar would also be great.

Other social features we need:

-Legacy friends! So that we can see if a friend is online regardless of what character they are on and regardless what faction that character is.
-Legacy banks to easily share items among our characters.
-Cross-faction chat. If I understand right, custom chat channels are locked by faction. Change this. Let's say I'm on a Republic character but some people are making a team to do an Imperial Operation I've been wanting to do, I'd like to know.
-Also, Chat groups. Essentially, just let us look at a list to see how many people are in a custom chat channel and who they are.

The market also needs to be improved. Combining the neutral market with the faction markets is a good start, but the system needs improvement.
Suggestions:
-If I sell a stack of items the price I enter should be the price per item.
-If I'm selling a stack of items the buyer should be able to buy as many of them as they want, instead of having to buy the whole stack.
-When I search for items to buy and I arrange them by price, it should be by the price per item.
-When on the Purchase tab, if I click drag and drop an item it should do an automatic search for that item.
-It would also be nice if there was some way to place an order for something we needed then have a crafter or supplier fill that order.
Most of this I totally agree with. Purchase orders are a big one. Maybe not exactly what you suggest but at least more options around item based pricing are definitely needed.


Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
Other issues:


-And is there any reason to do space combat at lvl 50? The outfits don't excite me much and the only other thing is those item boxes, but I don't really like random item rolls because I don't even know if I'll be able to use the item I get. If not I just wasted a bunch of commendations and a ton of time for nothing.
I thought the level 50 ones gave daily commendations now.

Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
-My newest character has Slicing (as I'm trying to find a better way to make money), and quickly realized that something was wrong. Why is it that any Slicing mission that rewards lockboxes that is rated above Moderate, always results in a LOSS of credits? Even if you succeed, the money earned in the lockbox doesn't even cover the cost to run the mission, making these missions less then a waste of time. They actually waste your time and money without a chance of a reward. I assume this is a result of the "fixing" that happened. A new player who's not as observant as myself could easily loose a lot of money on this.
Leveling slicing up will probably lose money, but at 400 getting a critical and selling 340 missions on the market should be a money maker (and the purple Augment materials )

Sarezar's Avatar


Sarezar
06.25.2012 , 11:22 AM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
...
1. Customization needs to be a higher priority.[/SIZE]
...
-Make an orange Custom class version of ALL models of armor available.
...
2. The current crafting system is broken.
...
-Every item we make needs to be something useful that people would actually have a reason to buy, not a bunch of pointless fluff.
I posted a suggestion in the suggestion forum about this that I think would easily and quickly fix both these issues.

Whenever you update a recipe to purple, the purple recipe would create the item WITH mods, like many purple items that exist in the game. That way ALL recipes can eventually be upgraded and worn by any character and upgraded with mods so that if you like the look of a level 19 armor set, you can use it throughout all content.

This basically:
1. gives purpose to ALL recipes
2. adds more armor looks in the game without having to design them from scratch
3. make synthweaving/armorweaving more useful and FUN (remember this little word??)
4. boosts economy
5. MAKES PEOPLE HAPPY
Endure... In enduring, grow strong...
-- Dak'kon, of the People

lexiekaboom's Avatar


lexiekaboom
06.25.2012 , 11:27 AM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by MattBoudreaux View Post
It actually is a very high priority. Identity is incredibly important in an MMO and we're always looking at ways to help players better express themselves and facilitate strengthening that identity.

You list some very thoughtful suggestions, and while I can't promise any of those things will ever happen, we definitely appreciate your feedback and take it seriously.

However, I'm happy to let you know that we do have plans for extra customization coming in the near future. For instance, companions will have all the match to chest options (as well as hide helmet) that a player has, and those settings will store per companion. Obviously some companions won't get the benefit of this feature (i.e. Khem Val, SCORPIO, etc. - anyone who doesn't really wear the armor you give them), but you won't have to stare at multi-colored Aric Jorgan anymore - that's gotta count for something.
Then why do I have to have the best possible gear in the game, from the hardest possible operation, in order to have a set bonus anything but one of 3 gear sets?

Customization is important! We just feel it should cost you stats. We fill people who do not care about how they look for have advantages in combat!

lull's Avatar


lull
06.25.2012 , 11:28 AM | #98
I appreciate the amount of time that the OP took in expressing their opinions and felt strongly enough about some of their comments that I wanted to post my own responses. I do not mean to disparage the OP or any other opinions which may be expressed within this thread. My responses to the OP below are only meant to provide a contrasting opinion. While some of my comments may come across as rude, they are not meant to be so.

I've only responded to the first bit, because the post was so long and I'm not much for posting. Perhaps I'll get around to expressing more opinions later.

Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
State of The Game: My Opinion
1. Customization needs to be a higher priority.[/SIZE]
I disagree. I'm quite happy with the current level of customization and feel that they adding to our ability to customize at a surprising rate.

Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
State of The Game: My Opinion
This is especially true in the early levels.
I feel that while some customization in the early levels is nice, the ability to customize should scale up as one progresses in the game be it in terms of level, money, or some other means.

Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
State of The Game: My Opinion
As a level 50 with high grade gear, it would cost me more then 100,000 credits to unslot all of the mods out of a piece of armor.
I think this is acceptable. Being able to remove mods from armor and insert them into other armor should not be free in my opinion and I do not consider 100,000 credit to be difficult to come by for a level 50 character.

Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
State of The Game: My Opinion
Any character should be able to look however they want, regardless of class or faction. I feel like my character's appearance is more based on how you the devs think he should look, instead of how I want him to look. Why does my Sorceror HAVE to wear robes? Why does my Bounty Hunter HAVE to wear heavy armor? Why can't I dress them the way I want to?
I disagree with your initial premise as I understand it. I think certain appearances should be reserved or restricted based on certain criteria. I do not believe that any character class is restricted to any particular armor look thanks to social armor.

Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
State of The Game: My Opinion
And why is there still no dye system? Personally I feel like this is something that should have been in since launch. The ability to change the color of our armor and equipment seems like a basic feature to me.
Personally, I don't think I could care less about a dye system. It's hard for me to imagine a new game system which I would not prefer to see more than this.

Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
State of The Game: My Opinion
Suggestions to fix the problems with customization:
-Remove the credit costs to unslot modifications, allowing us to change out pieces of equipment for free.
-Remove faction and weight class limitations from all armor.
-Make all armor become adaptive, so that it acts as the highest weight class available to a character, (allowing
anyone to wear any armor, provided they meet the lvl. requirements and whatever.)
-Make an orange Custom class version of ALL models of armor available.
Please do not do any of these things.

Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
State of The Game: My Opinion
2. The current crafting system is broken.
I whole-heartedly disagree with pretty much everything in this section. I have a crafter of every profession at 400 with the exception of Biochem which is somewhere around 350 and I'm quite happy with crafting.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
06.25.2012 , 11:31 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by MattBoudreaux View Post


However, I'm happy to let you know that we do have plans for extra customization coming in the near future. For instance, companions will have all the match to chest options (as well as hide helmet) that a player has, and those settings will store per companion. Obviously some companions won't get the benefit of this feature (i.e. Khem Val, SCORPIO, etc. - anyone who doesn't really wear the armor you give them), but you won't have to stare at multi-colored Aric Jorgan anymore - that's gotta count for something.
This is a really nice change, on of those things, that doens't always seem like it will add too much to the game, but in reality will add a massive amount to the game in diversity and customer satisfaction.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

SocraticSteve's Avatar


SocraticSteve
06.25.2012 , 11:33 AM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by MattBoudreaux View Post
It actually is a very high priority. Identity is incredibly important in an MMO and we're always looking at ways to help players better express themselves and facilitate strengthening that identity.
Thank you SO much for your post Mr. Boudreaux. Honestly, I am simply overjoyed to know that someone in the development team has actually read at least some of this thread and heard my thoughts. I'm a very happy Jawa.

At the moment I think the biggest thing that can be done for customization would be a dye system so we could freely choose the colors of our clothes and armor.

Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
My thoughts are that you have several good points mixed into the fact that this seems to be your first MMO. Many of the things you are complaining about are the way MMOs work, and usually how they have to work.
This is most certainly not my first MMO. I've accumulated at least 5 years of subscription time in City of Heroes. It is the only other MMO I have ever subscribed to. Granted, it does not follow the typical MMO formula, but that is why I enjoyed it. And although many of the things I may be complaining about are how most MMOs work, they are not how MMOs have to work.

I have tried trial versions of many other MMOs and did not enjoy them. I tried a trial of WoW and absolutely hated every minute of it. Everyone looked the same and quests were pointless "Kill X amount of Y" or "Collect A amount of B" tasks. It felt like I was doing chores, not playing a game. That is the current problem with the end-game. It feels like I'm doing chores, not playing a game.

Doing a bunch of repetitive tasks to increase my stats so that I can do more repetitive tasks is not fun. I do not want to spend hours suffering through boring gameplay just so I can get a new pair of boots or gloves. Some people may say this means I'm lazy and don't want to work for the rewards, and to those people I say... you're absolutely right! This is a game! The second it starts to feel like work is the second I stop playing! A new pair of boots or gloves is not enough of an incentive to slug through 3 hours of mind-numbing gameplay.

What keeps me playing this game right now is the story. Playing through the different class and planet quests or experiencing a good story-driven FP with a team is why I am still playing this game. If not for those, I'd be gone.