Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

State of the Game: My Opinion (Please share your thoughts)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
State of the Game: My Opinion (Please share your thoughts)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Synxos's Avatar


Synxos
06.24.2012 , 06:02 PM | #81
I was agreeing with most of what you said up until this point:
"-The end-game system needs to be simplified and/or explained to the player. I mean, as a player, I shouldn't HAVE to go on the net to learn how to play the game. . WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON?!?!"

I don't want them holding my hand throughout the whole game. While there's some things that definitely need to be explained in detail for the general player to understand, gear at end game does not, and should not be.
What you're suggesting here would be a ridiculous level of handholding.

There are some things in MMOs you have to figure out yourself.

On the rest of your post:
You list some problems with the game. However, they are all very minor, and aren't gamebreaking.
The LFG tool for instance. All of the flashpoints are centralized in one location. Anyone looking for a group should have just went to the fleet....like most do currently.
A LFG tool really won't do much. People aren't finding groups because people aren't looking for groups. A LFG tool isn't going to magically fix this, like many are going to find out soon enough.

Skidrowbro's Avatar


Skidrowbro
06.24.2012 , 06:20 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Synxos View Post
I was agreeing with most of what you said up until this point:
"-The end-game system needs to be simplified and/or explained to the player. I mean, as a player, I shouldn't HAVE to go on the net to learn how to play the game. . WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON?!?!"

I don't want them holding my hand throughout the whole game. While there's some things that definitely need to be explained in detail for the general player to understand, gear at end game does not, and should not be.
What you're suggesting here would be a ridiculous level of handholding.


There are some things in MMOs you have to figure out yourself..
I agree

Quote: Originally Posted by Synxos View Post
On the rest of your post:
You list some problems with the game. However, they are all very minor, and aren't gamebreaking.
The LFG tool for instance. All of the flashpoints are centralized in one location. Anyone looking for a group should have just went to the fleet....like most do currently.
A LFG tool really won't do much. People aren't finding groups because people aren't looking for groups. A LFG tool isn't going to magically fix this, like many are going to find out soon enough.
This is where I disagree. I found that looking for a group was done better on the planets where everyone was leveling. Now with an automated group finder people will have no reason to even leave the fleet. The funny part is it will auto teleport them, yet they had to walk for 30 secs while doing it manually on the fleet, such gamebreaking immersion.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
06.25.2012 , 04:00 AM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
.But when it comes to equipment modifications, I still believe it should be free, or at least extremely cheap, to unslot them. I realize the game needs money sinks, but it should not be a money sink to customize your character. Raise repair costs or increase the GTN fees if you have to.
Yeah I'm torn with this....... on the one hand money sinks do help the game (and not just in adding an easy grind for the devs, but in help reduce hyper-inflation in the in game economy)...... but on the other removing mods can have a brutal cost, especially in the end game.

I'm wondering if they could maybe add a increasing cost with repetition, like respec, or something.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

DarthKhaos's Avatar


DarthKhaos
06.25.2012 , 06:53 AM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by earthtoearl View Post
I didnt have time to read the whole thing yet but I agree that switching out gear should be free or at least cost very little, like 1k, NOT 140k. Grinding Dailies does get old. Although more clothing options and customizing I agree with, some gear should not be on some character. IMO many of the jedi robes look like dresses.
It's called a money sink. There is enough complaints that there's nothing to spend money on and how players have so much money sitting on their toons. The cost to swap out mods isn't so bad unless you're doing it often. It's a way to get credits out of the game that's all.

Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post
Chessack, thanks for the post. I agree wholeheartedly. The amount of conversation in Black Talon/Esseles should be the NORM, not the exception. The devs really need to remember this going forward in the game's development. This kind of group story experience is something that only TOR can offer, and they should take full advantage of that. (At least I don't know of any other games with this kind of system.)
I agree that it shouldn't be the exception to the rule. I'd say once in every 3 flashpoints. So you get a heavy dose in BT/Esseles then light in Hammer Station & Athiss, Mand Raiders is prime for a lot of conversation. good smack talk between you and the leader of the Clan or back to base with status updates and or suggestions to move forward.
=================================
F2P? NO THANKS
CANCELLED
=================================

MattBoudreaux's Avatar


MattBoudreaux
06.25.2012 , 09:41 AM | #85 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by SocraticSteve View Post

1. Customization needs to be a higher priority.
It actually is a very high priority. Identity is incredibly important in an MMO and we're always looking at ways to help players better express themselves and facilitate strengthening that identity.

You list some very thoughtful suggestions, and while I can't promise any of those things will ever happen, we definitely appreciate your feedback and take it seriously.

However, I'm happy to let you know that we do have plans for extra customization coming in the near future. For instance, companions will have all the match to chest options (as well as hide helmet) that a player has, and those settings will store per companion. Obviously some companions won't get the benefit of this feature (i.e. Khem Val, SCORPIO, etc. - anyone who doesn't really wear the armor you give them), but you won't have to stare at multi-colored Aric Jorgan anymore - that's gotta count for something.
Gameplay Programmer
BioWare Austin

Icebergy's Avatar


Icebergy
06.25.2012 , 09:48 AM | #86
My thoughts are that you have several good points mixed into the fact that this seems to be your first MMO. Many of the things you are complaining about are the way MMOs work, and usually how they have to work.
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

Alxandria's Avatar


Alxandria
06.25.2012 , 09:49 AM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by MattBoudreaux View Post
It actually is a very high priority. Identity is incredibly important in an MMO and we're always looking at ways to help players better express themselves and facilitate strengthening that identity.

You list some very thoughtful suggestions, and while I can't promise any of those things will ever happen, we definitely appreciate your feedback and take it seriously.

However, I'm happy to let you know that we do have plans for extra customization coming in the near future. For instance, companions will have all the match to chest options (as well as hide helmet) that a player has, and those settings will store per companion. Obviously some companions won't get the benefit of this feature (i.e. Khem Val, SCORPIO, etc. - anyone who doesn't really wear the armor you give them), but you won't have to stare at multi-colored Aric Jorgan anymore - that's gotta count for something.
<3

That little tid bit made my day! (I play dress up with my companions...I'm weird like that.)

Any chances on some additional customization looks for the non-humanoid companions (Specifically Scorpio)

Micadog's Avatar


Micadog
06.25.2012 , 09:55 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by MattBoudreaux View Post

However, I'm happy to let you know that we do have plans for extra customization coming in the near future. For instance, companions will have all the match to chest options (as well as hide helmet) that a player has, and those settings will store per companion. Obviously some companions won't get the benefit of this feature (i.e. Khem Val, SCORPIO, etc. - anyone who doesn't really wear the armor you give them), but you won't have to stare at multi-colored Aric Jorgan anymore - that's gotta count for something.
Brilliant news. No more clown outfits for pets

phalczen's Avatar


phalczen
06.25.2012 , 09:58 AM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by MattBoudreaux View Post
It actually is a very high priority. Identity is incredibly important in an MMO and we're always looking at ways to help players better express themselves and facilitate strengthening that identity.

You list some very thoughtful suggestions, and while I can't promise any of those things will ever happen, we definitely appreciate your feedback and take it seriously.

However, I'm happy to let you know that we do have plans for extra customization coming in the near future. For instance, companions will have all the match to chest options (as well as hide helmet) that a player has, and those settings will store per companion. Obviously some companions won't get the benefit of this feature (i.e. Khem Val, SCORPIO, etc. - anyone who doesn't really wear the armor you give them), but you won't have to stare at multi-colored Aric Jorgan anymore - that's gotta count for something.
Since Matt is the programmer who basically made the Appearance Tab for Star Wars Galaxies in his free time, I'd take his points on customization seriously.

DecanAndersen's Avatar


DecanAndersen
06.25.2012 , 09:59 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by MattBoudreaux View Post
It actually is a very high priority. Identity is incredibly important in an MMO and we're always looking at ways to help players better express themselves and facilitate strengthening that identity.

You list some very thoughtful suggestions, and while I can't promise any of those things will ever happen, we definitely appreciate your feedback and take it seriously.

However, I'm happy to let you know that we do have plans for extra customization coming in the near future. For instance, companions will have all the match to chest options (as well as hide helmet) that a player has, and those settings will store per companion. Obviously some companions won't get the benefit of this feature (i.e. Khem Val, SCORPIO, etc. - anyone who doesn't really wear the armor you give them), but you won't have to stare at multi-colored Aric Jorgan anymore - that's gotta count for something.
I have had an idea stored about extra customization options, but haven't had the chance to put it out, as the suggestion box is flooded and/or "ignored".
So if you read this, why not make an option for synths and armor mechs to critical hit a orange schematic from a green item, followed by augment critical chance.
As many people have pointed out, A LOT of the green items are MUCH cooler and nicer, than the orange we have now. (At least from republic side)
I cant see any downside to this solution.
1.: The design team doesn't have to move a finger.
2.: More customization options for the users.
3.: More options for crafters.
4.: More verity in the SWTOR world.
And many, many more.
<> The Red Eclipse <>
<> Décan <> LvL 50 <> Jedi Shadow <>
<> Decan <> LvL 50 <> Jedi Sentinel <>
<> Décán <> LvL 50 <> Jedi Guardian <>