Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Cost of ingame items. Too High?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Cost of ingame items. Too High?

capitalbel
06.25.2012 , 05:09 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Ad-Astra View Post
The GTN has already seen a drop in items being sold, i.e. when was the last time you sold a green item on the GTN and not to a junk dealer or other vendor?

The reason for this, is they're already out of date, and there are not enough new players coming on board to level new characters who will buy these low rank green items in order to progress the game themselves, this then leads to the number of new players joining the game dropping, and a number of current players leaving the game.
Actually I think there is another reason for this...

I maybe bought a couple from the GTN on my first character and soon realized I didn't really make a difference. Pretty much by time I hit 50 I was still wearing some gear that I had had since at least level 40.

I levelled that character pretty much exclusively with a friend. We did all the quests. Including Heriocs. We were SO far above the level cap for each planet that we could do Heroic 4's together wearing really outdated gear.

I've just started leveling a new character. I haven't bought any gear. Even without grouping all of the solo content like with my first char, I'm still well above the level cap for the planet I'm on and I'm certainly not feeling any pressure to make sure I have the best up to date gear.

Basically what I'm saying is that I think the reason that there's not much being sold, especially green gear, is that there really isn't any incentive to gear up early in the game. You get handed a bunch of gear that's 'good enough' to get through most of the content. Maybe the increased server pops and group finder will pressure people to have decent gear for Flashpoints/Heroics but even in that case greens still wouldn't be in demand.

With regards to the rest of your post, at some point you need to get to 'end game'. There's not going to be new content as soon as the first person finishes the old content, so yes things need to be repeated. As the game progresses I have no doubt there'll be a greater range of repeatable content, but still repeatable content. If you don't add incentives to repeat the content then nobody's going to want to keep playing. Hence items/unlocks that are expensive whether it's credits or comms.

This is not a single player game. They want to give you something that takes time to achieve so that you keep paying.

Nyla
06.25.2012 , 05:12 AM | #12
I have no problem with the prices.

Yes you have to repeat some content, yes new players can't afford some things but that was designed that way and I don't see the problem.

You level a character, you are often short on money for this character. Once you are 50, between the extra quests, the dailies, you being a crafter, ... you get enough resources to have your first alt level with more money and better gear than your main.

Saying people left because of the high prices is imo silly.
If someone thinks the price are too high and doesn't like to repeat some content, what would happen if the prices where 10 times lower ? Yes they would get some things they can't right now but they would still leave because they don't like to repeat content anyway.
“When 900 years old, you reach… Look as good, you will not.”

Ad-Astra
06.25.2012 , 05:44 AM | #13
Thanks for the input, so far, all very valid points of view, and many of which I'm personally taking onboard as they will help me understand the game better and appreciate the way the money side of the game works.

As I said I'm not moaning, would just like to see what people think and if they have any idea's for improvements.

thanks again.

Thundergulch
06.25.2012 , 01:06 PM | #14
Since you're a bank manager, then it would be safe to assume that you know how to manage money.
I,myself have terrible credit, can't manage my own RL money, yet I have over 5 million in game credits.
Getting money in this game is super easy.
Doing all of the daily quests on the 3 planets will get you easily 300k/day.
Are some things way overpriced on the GTN? Of course, but everything is worth what it's purchaser will pay for it.
Simply don't pay that much lol, the reason you never see stuff for way cheaper is that people buy them so fast they never stay on the GTN for very long.

VulcanLogic
06.25.2012 , 01:09 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlbo_Nabbins View Post
Umm, no. The reason greens don't sell is three fold. Firstly new characters out level them too quickly, greens can be replaced by mission rewards very soon after you can wear them (its Blues that you can keep for a while). Secondly its very easy to get orange items and upgrade them with commendations (which cuts down the market for items you wanty to buy). Finally crafting greens in this game is simple due to the availability of resources, its only when you want to keep multiple characters/companions in complete on-level blue items that you have to worry about gathering materials.
What you write here is true until tomorrow. In 1.3, green armors of all types for level 50 will be worth more than their vendor trash price. Why? Because you need to reverse engineer TEN of them to make one augment kit.
Yo. Droid companions need an operations vendor, too. My extra coms have to go somewhere, and I'd prefer SCORPIO to Kaliyo.

Tharg
06.25.2012 , 01:10 PM | #16
IV always felt the cost of vendor items way to high specially the collector’s edition vendor and the authenticator key vendor. Massive over priced if anything I feel these items should be free to the players that qualify to use them. for an mmo thats have to make and honest crust stuff is very expensive.

GalacticKegger
06.25.2012 , 01:14 PM | #17
I personally don't think so. There are a ton of credits to be made so I see it as fairly balanced. It's not perfect, but the seemingly expensive prices for stuff (crafting missions in particular) means the game encourages meeting the economy head-on instead of promoting armchair billionaires the way other MMOs do.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu