Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

flashpoints dsiappointing -feels like fraud

ademnus
12.18.2011 , 07:00 PM | #1
Remember the vids showing us Esseless and Black Talon and extolling the virtues of the Bioware Flashpoint system? I sure do, and couldn't wait to dive right in. So far Ive done Esseless (and BT on dark side), Hammer, Athiss, Mandalorian, and Cademimu and you know what? I wont be wasting my time on any more of them.

Esseless and BT were awesome, my guildies and I couldnt get enough -we did them and redid them until we exhausted them. And then we tried the others I listed. When the first one had zero story and conversations except the quest pickup outside the door, we figured it was a fluke. After 2 we started to get worried. After 3 we thought, this can't be the high and mighty flashpoint system. After the 4th we realized it was just a bait and switch tactic on the part of the devs and marketing. There's always at least 1 non-voiced computer you reach where you can pick from 2 actions, one good one bad. It may as well simply read: What do you want? 1) light side points 2) dark side points -and then you can just get back to the world of star wars craft instance of boring endless combat.

You wont fool me again, Bioware. Your flashpoints are boring. If I didnt want conversation and story, Id just go play wow. Where's what you promised and advertised?
translation
Will the owner of a gray Death Star please move your non-moon planet-killing spacestation? You're blocking a fire hydrant.

SpaceDrake
12.18.2011 , 07:06 PM | #2
The heavy convo stuff is saved for class quests and heroics. If anything, I'm fairly happy with stuff like Hammer, because Esseles in particular can become a slog in terms of dialogue. I suspect they realized that if every instance was THAT dialogue-heavy, people would go nuts.

Nephrahim
12.18.2011 , 07:09 PM | #3
That is a bit disappointing to hear. I loved Bt for it's dialogue sequences.

Elgierro
12.18.2011 , 07:14 PM | #4
The first time you do one of them the dialogue might be nice, but after you have done em a few times it just comes down to waiting on the rest of the party if they don't skip it.

As far as my limited experience with lore evens inside instances go, i'd rather not have them in there if they take up more playtime than actually finishing the place and enjoying the thrill of combat.
SW:ToR needs so much fixes that they can make an expansion out of it. <Jedi guardian - chuundar>

Auru
12.18.2011 , 07:54 PM | #5
Are there more dialogue type flashpoints beyond BT/Esseles?

I have run everything up to Mandolorian raiders.. and the one flashpoint i've re-run more then any other was black talon, I made a low level alt just so I could hitch onto guildmates groups just for another run through BT :P

I'll be quite disappointed if they were the only ones

Mavery
12.18.2011 , 08:09 PM | #6
Flashpoints are designed to be repeated ad nauseum. That would be why they are not riddled with endless conversations and story.

Good call by BW.

aragfore
12.18.2011 , 08:36 PM | #7
There are more story based flashpoints. They're just not all like Esseles or Black Talon, and for good reason. Keep plugging away and you'll find what youre looking for.

Nephrahim
12.18.2011 , 08:38 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by aragfore View Post
There are more story based flashpoints. They're just not all like Esseles or Black Talon, and for good reason. Keep plugging away and you'll find what youre looking for.
Sounds good.

Auru
12.18.2011 , 09:10 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by aragfore View Post
thats good to hear, I enjoyed Hammer/Athiss/Mandolorians.. but really the first flashpoint was way ahead in terms of fun

they have all been insanely easy though :P

ademnus
12.18.2011 , 09:21 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Elgierro View Post
The first time you do one of them the dialogue might be nice, but after you have done em a few times it just comes down to waiting on the rest of the party if they don't skip it.

As far as my limited experience with lore evens inside instances go, i'd rather not have them in there if they take up more playtime than actually finishing the place and enjoying the thrill of combat.
we ran BT 6 times, making different choices, making some smart alec responses that ahd everyone laughing, changing the content by making different choices -we had a blast. We stopped becasue we'd out levelled them.

Are you seriously still running any particular flashpoints? I mean by the 5th time, along with some questing, they arent worth redoing as youve out levelled them.

If you think re-running an instance with convos 20 times is boring, I think running them without convos is even worse.

The convos was the selling point of this game. If the devs are smart, future FPs will have much more convo opportunities AND enough diverse choices to make numerous replays different.

Otherwise, the hack and slash wow in space is a joke.
translation
Will the owner of a gray Death Star please move your non-moon planet-killing spacestation? You're blocking a fire hydrant.