Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Community Q&A Blog Discussion: June 22nd, 2012

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Community Q&A Blog Discussion: June 22nd, 2012
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SoonerJBD
06.23.2012 , 01:01 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Ignicity View Post
You know "tweaks" is code for "nerfs", right?
I read it to mean they are going to look at (1) diversifying the type of damage bosses do, with at least some of them doing more weapon damage as opposed to force/tech damage, and/or (2) Allowing tanks to shield force/tech damage.

Option 1 would seem an easier potential fix as it would only affect PvE. If you allow force/tech damage to be mitigated by shields, you would need to seriously re-balance every classes damage for PvP purposes, as the fact that force/tech damage can't be shielded is an important aspect of balance between the classes and their potential damage output.

Aieranda
06.23.2012 , 01:30 AM | #22
Regarding Shadow/Sin tanks...

i realize the numbers alone may fall short of telling the whole story and factors far beyond numbers alone contribute to these things. I simply remain concerned because other changes in this game were made in the past for the sake of evening up numbers and were later found to be poor changes.

I appreciate that future changes will be looked at to adjust things further but admitting that such things remain at issue essentially admits that the 1.3 changes are not expected to actually achieve the balance they desire, and apparently still seek, for tank classes. The statements support the facts that shadow/sins get strong shields, that those shields aren't doing what it takes right now to keep balance across the tank classes because of existing Operation mechanics, and that the developers KNOW this but are proceeding with the currently scheduled changes anyway. That is disappointing.

I appreciate the attempt to answer this question. The fact they even acknowledged it as a question speaks volumes about the feedback they've probably gotten on the issue. I don't like the answer and I think they executed this answer in a manner that left a lot to be desired, but it is a response.

Dionius
06.23.2012 , 05:46 AM | #23
To be honest, I think you're all worrying -far- too much about this Shadow/Assassin tank business anyway. We have a regular Assassin tank in our Denova Hard Mode runs and he has zero problems, in fact he's got niches on the vast majority of fights where he can do things better than any other tank can because of things like CD's, etc. We have absolutely -no- problems taking him through a Denova HM clear, and i'm 99% positive that after the patch, we'll -still- have absolutely no problems taking him through a Denova HM clear. It doesn't get harder than that in PvE, so I honestly completely fail to see the issue you guys are having. As long as a tank is still viable to run through the hardest content in the game, how can it be a serious issue from a PvE standpoint?
I'm here to kill you, not to judge you.

Primarch_PWnD
06.23.2012 , 06:55 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
This is the line that boggled me, regarding how they design armor sets:

Have you seen the higher level consular sets? They make male characters look exactly like a clown, or a drag queen. Sorcerer gear isn't much better, but at least the lower level stuff actually looks like something a Sith might wear. If your goal is to not make characters look like clowns, you have utterly and completely failed.
/signed

The process he describes for designing the armor appears from the ground up was very interesting to read, and I'm really glad they discussed how that works, I've been curious for a long time now.

That being said, the process he described of carefully and meticulously pouring through designs which have to be approved, and go through a prolonged process to create and preview and model can't possibly be the process that led to the higher-tier armor appearances......I just can't believe a room full of people, designers, producers, etc saw the concept art and models for a majority of the tiered gear and let the "lengthy" process continue to create them.

Really.....I can't believe it happened the way he said it did, especially since he says they don't want us looking "like clowns" since that's exactly what a lot of that stuff looks like.....literally.....

lexiekaboom
06.23.2012 , 07:17 AM | #25
I don't know what you read, but that is not what he said at all. This is what he said in regards to potentially changing the way bosses do damage and the way that damage is avoided/mitigated:
"Not all channels of survivability can be balanced for every boss encounter, which is why tank survivability is measured against a norm, and why we're going to be pushing harder to hit that norm in the future - either through tweaks in boss damage or tweaks to the way shields work."

He clearly said it is a known problem that they are going to be working on.
Going to be working on means latter. The Nerf is now. So he's saying DO NOT USE A SHADOW TANK NOW. They are worthless until we balance bosses, which isn't happening in this patch or any time soon (as there is no eta, and they are not even sure how they need to approach it)

lexiekaboom
06.23.2012 , 07:21 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by lexiekaboom View Post
Going to be working on means latter. The Nerf is now. So he's saying DO NOT USE A SHADOW TANK NOW. They are worthless until we balance bosses, which isn't happening in this patch or any time soon (as there is no eta, and they are not even sure how they need to approach it)
Any reasonable Dev team would have included in that answer "that is why we have decided not to go ahead with any changes to tanks until we have have had a chance to rebalance boss fights and ensure they are in line with expectations first"

What we got was "nerf first, ask question later. For all we know this change is going to complete gimp you vs. today's content (in fact that's what our internal numbers are saying) but you're just going to have to deal with that until we change raids. Why do we care if you spend a few months unable to tank?"

JamieM
06.23.2012 , 08:03 AM | #27
This is the line that boggled me, regarding how they design armor sets:

Have you seen the higher level consular sets? They make male characters look exactly like a clown, or a drag queen. Sorcerer gear isn't much better, but at least the lower level stuff actually looks like something a Sith might wear. If your goal is to not make characters look like clowns, you have utterly and completely failed.
Haha i never thought of it like that but you're right, the high level consular stuff does look like something a drag queen would wear, or a Brazilian go go dancer for that matter. Really really bad.

Sauska
06.23.2012 , 08:04 AM | #28
I wonder who you have to bribe to get an answer to your question
The Borealis Legacy

LarryRow
06.23.2012 , 08:09 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
(hint for the poster: it's more than you're giving mind to)
Please explain Jeramie. I am genuinely interested in what you mean and your subtlety went over my head.

Deewe
06.23.2012 , 09:01 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
If this actually comes true I will personally hunt you down and...and... I dunno... buy you a drink or something...
Lol you're the one JeramieCrowe.

Seriously regarding the state of the game, what we can expect with Turbine (LotRo and DDO) system they can keep both of the best systems:
  • $15 monthly for people willing to play
  • F2P for others
  • RMT for the most casuals with a few tokens given away to premium memebers.

TSW is already charging $9.90 for new character slots.
Personally I find it a Rip off but a I see it coming that way. And BTW that was a smart move from Funcom.
Actually I'd be willing to pay for dual specs option in TOR.