Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rakghouls?

Dafpants
06.20.2012 , 06:49 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Aniline View Post
For that particular mission, it's not the small debuff you get that completes the mission. It's a different infection. You just have to keep fighting rakghouls until you get the mission complete. Any rakghoul will work.
Sometimes you'll get infected very quickly (like in the first 10 seconds) other times it takes forever (1 hour for me last time).
If you see that you are running short on time and are still not infected, open up your mission log and hit the Reset button. This will reset the timer to 1 hour 30 min so you can keep trying.
This has to be the most random mission I've come across. The "strong or elite" theory might help but not always.
Some of our guild have spent (literally) hours trying to get infected, hacking away at every rakghoul they come across. I think 3.5 hours was our guild's record when they finally got credit two zones over.

Our first time through we noticed that the timer reset itself after the initial 45minutes ran out. Might have changed since then.
Duct tape is like The Force; it has a light said and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
While I always try to provide correct and meaningful information I have been known to make mistakes, from time to time.

Solmi
06.20.2012 , 10:24 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Dafpants View Post
This has to be the most random mission I've come across. The "strong or elite" theory might help but not always.
Some of our guild have spent (literally) hours trying to get infected, hacking away at every rakghoul they come across. I think 3.5 hours was our guild's record when they finally got credit two zones over.

Our first time through we noticed that the timer reset itself after the initial 45minutes ran out. Might have changed since then.
I just don't get this. I've run this mission with 6 toons on live and with another 5 heading back to beta. I've never failed to get infected within 1 minute.

I'm not trying to say anything against you, I just think people (in general) over think this mission. They run all round and don't get infected and wonder why. It's really not that hard. Run right up the pipe in the north, leave your companion on passive, and engage the red rakgoul by the tree. Stand there and let him hit you (occasionally, I've had to use a med pack while he's hitting me) until you get infected. It's worked for me every time.

Dafpants
06.21.2012 , 12:00 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Solmi View Post
I just don't get this. I've run this mission with 6 toons on live and with another 5 heading back to beta. I've never failed to get infected within 1 minute.
I'm not trying to say anything against you, I just think people (in general) over think this mission. They run all round and don't get infected and wonder why. It's really not that hard. Run right up the pipe in the north, leave your companion on passive, and engage the red rakgoul by the tree. Stand there and let him hit you (occasionally, I've had to use a med pack while he's hitting me) until you get infected. It's worked for me every time.
Yeap, we tried that. We were in a group of 4, all doing the same quests. 2 of us got infected right away. A 3rd took, like, 10 minutes. The 4th guy could not get infected for the life of him, despite standing there healing himself until he was green in the face. He is also "that guy" who is consistently last to get the x random mission drops (see emergent medicine or that one with the droid cores for Belsavis dailies). He and RNG are not friends.
Duct tape is like The Force; it has a light said and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
While I always try to provide correct and meaningful information I have been known to make mistakes, from time to time.

Aro_Hunter
06.21.2012 , 09:46 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Solmi View Post

You're right...it's not that hard AND you don't have to over think it. BUT, I've done all the things that you said..it's only common sense. But RNG can sometimes be a pain in the *** I commend you for being able to complete the quest, multiple times, without any problems...that's some luck you have!

And yes...I'm still trying to get infected! lol I'll keep trying though!
Nicodagreat Jedi Shadow
"One must act in a fashion that conforms to one's position, and with the reputation that one has earned"

Owsley
06.21.2012 , 10:05 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Aro_Hunter View Post
You're right...it's not that hard AND you don't have to over think it. BUT, I've done all the things that you said..it's only common sense. But RNG can sometimes be a pain in the *** I commend you for being able to complete the quest, multiple times, without any problems...that's some luck you have!

And yes...I'm still trying to get infected! lol I'll keep trying though!
It's not hard solo but i think there is an issue when grouped. I have never had any problem when I played solo, but when I was in a group, some people never did get infected.

I ran one of my alts through it last night, solo. I got infected in about 5 minutes.
"But war, organised war, is not a human instinct. It is a highly planned and co-operative form of theft."
Jacob Bronowski - The Ascent of Man

GymQuirk
06.21.2012 , 10:21 AM | #16
I've found that, for some reason, resetting the quest helps with getting infected more quickly.

KorvusKaar
06.22.2012 , 06:23 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Owsley View Post
It's not hard solo but i think there is an issue when grouped. I have never had any problem when I played solo, but when I was in a group, some people never did get infected.

I ran one of my alts through it last night, solo. I got infected in about 5 minutes.
This is my opinion as well. With my solo chars it took me 3 mins max every time I've done it. When I'm grouped with my wife it's always a pain. One of the times we had to reset the timer 5 times (yes 5, and yes we were at the right place...I had done that quest 5 times by then...) and then we decided to abandon the mission and pick it back up. I got infected right away (after the rakghoul hit me, of course ) but it took her another 45 mins to get hers (she got it reght away when she abandoned and got the mission a third time)

Aro_Hunter
06.22.2012 , 10:35 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by GymQuirk View Post
I've found that, for some reason, resetting the quest helps with getting infected more quickly.
Agreed. I kept trying...sometimes I would do other quests, and then go back to it again and I still didn't get infected!!! It was time consuming!!! So I abandoned the quest and restarted it. Right after the cut scene, I went straight to the area and did the quest...it took less than a minute for me to get infected.

So for new players, as soon as you receive the "Catalyst" quest...complete it immediately. Don't do any other quest at that moment. And if you did...simply abandon the quest and restart it.

Happy Hunting!
Nicodagreat Jedi Shadow
"One must act in a fashion that conforms to one's position, and with the reputation that one has earned"

GJuliusCaesar
06.22.2012 , 06:47 PM | #19
The best way to get infected is to not fight back, until you get the debuff. You don't get infected by killing them, after all, but by being swiped by their nasty claws.

Ellvaan
06.23.2012 , 01:56 AM | #20
Greetings everyone!

For those who are experiencing issues with the quest "Catalyst" on Taris, can you please provide the following information with as much detail as possible:
  • Where exactly in terms of location did you get infected?
  • What was the name of the mob that infected you (or description if you don't remember the name)?
  • Did you die, enter a warzone, or anything like that anywhere along the way during the mission?
  • Were you in a group or solo?
  • Did maybe your companion aggro the mob first?
Thank you for your information!