Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An Interview with Jesse Sky, Lead Operations & Flashpoint Designer

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
An Interview with Jesse Sky, Lead Operations & Flashpoint Designer

alifaraaz
06.21.2012 , 08:31 AM | #11
Well when they say solid dps for tanks I assume they mean "they do enough dps to warrant bringing a 3rd f you're not struggling with enrages".

As I tank, I dunno about others but from my logs I seem to average around 650-700 dps on boss fights, and when I really push it 750 is the highest I've seen myself do. I once read some tank saying he averages 1000 dps...not sure how exactly but whatever.

Now I know the best dps can push out some nice numbers, but I'd say average for HM EC groups is around 1400 dps. So yeah a tank does roughly 1/2 the dps of a normal dps. So by bringing a 3rd tank you're just losing 1/2 a dps, which for some fights might make a big difference, for others (such as T&Z) it wont make any difference, but will make the fight less annoying :P
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

CitizenFry
06.21.2012 , 09:06 AM | #12
Seems like you might be able to swap out a healer for an extra tank in 16m, if everyone's well-coordinated with tank swaps the boss would always be beating on someone with defensive cooldowns running.

I appreciate the questions about trash. I *hate* clearing those Denova trenches. Some of the trash pulls are decently fun though (cliffside pulls between Vorgath and Kephess, for instance)

carsonlees
06.21.2012 , 09:31 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by alifaraaz View Post
Well when they say solid dps for tanks I assume they mean "they do enough dps to warrant bringing a 3rd f you're not struggling with enrages".

As I tank, I dunno about others but from my logs I seem to average around 650-700 dps on boss fights, and when I really push it 750 is the highest I've seen myself do. I once read some tank saying he averages 1000 dps...not sure how exactly but whatever.

Now I know the best dps can push out some nice numbers, but I'd say average for HM EC groups is around 1400 dps. So yeah a tank does roughly 1/2 the dps of a normal dps. So by bringing a 3rd tank you're just losing 1/2 a dps, which for some fights might make a big difference, for others (such as T&Z) it wont make any difference, but will make the fight less annoying :P
In all honesty DPS check for Denova is not as strict as most like to think. The proper execution of mechanics is paramount to everything else. Here is a log of a HM 16 Kephess kill. http://dpsmeter.com/knee0knelt (You need to click on the Kephess tab) This group was made up of many alts, fresh 50's, and trials. It was clean and we did not hit any sort of enrage timer. You can see from this our highest DPS was pulling just over 1,400 and we used two tanks and a DPS taunt in the last phase.

The point I am trying to make here is that execution>DPS by a wide margin in the current SWTOR tier. If you can master the mechanics and keep everyone alive you will succeed.
A home for busy adults seeking high level PvE in a respectful, mature atmosphere.
Carson --- Commando