Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

There is no death, there is only Wrath

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
There is no death, there is only Wrath

bright_ephemera
06.20.2012 , 04:21 AM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayanka View Post
It's quite frustrating Quinn can not be hurt...
And that...that's really the entire story of the Sith Warrior's relationship with the man, isn't it?
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Ayanka
06.20.2012 , 04:26 AM | #82
Well... it is^^ Although my Quinn is wearing this pretty usefull shock-colar from the Belsavis Social Gear. You can't really shock him, but you can imagine doing so
Wer in der Nacht in den verstaubten Winkeln seines Geistes träumt,
erwacht am Tag und findet nichts als Leere;
aber die Träumer des Tages sind gefährliche Menschen,
denn sie können ihren Traum mit offenen Augen spielen und ihn möglich machen.

bright_ephemera
06.20.2012 , 04:28 AM | #83
44. In which Nalenne kills time (and wampas) on Hoth

Hoth rejects science’s tools
And suspends ecological rules.
The fauna all eat
Exclusively meat
And declare all biologists fools.

Hoth. The Empire technically didn’t need Nalenne out this way, since the whole Hoth operation was supposed to be a matter of dribbling out a few resources to keep a lot of the Republic’s resources tied up.

But sometimes you just want a hot sweaty melee in the snow.

Through some argument process Nalenne could not divine, Pierce won and Vette lost such that Vette had to come down to the surface. Broonmark, of course, volunteered, as did Quinn. Jaesa was still mad at Nalenne and had holed up in her quarters with comic books. No matter; Nalenne just wanted to go kill some stuff.

She swept into Dorn Base with her entourage and was greeted by Captain Yudrass himself. The Chiss had dropped whatever his actual work was to scramble a welcoming party for the Wrath.

He bowed deeply in greeting. “My lord. It is an honor. Is there any way we can assist the Wrath?”

“Yeah. I’m looking for stuff to kill. High challenge, high population density if you can manage it.”

“…‘Stuff.’”

“Yeah. Whatever you’ve got. I’m just looking for a good scrap.”

Yudrass looked over at a fellow officer, then looked back to Nalenne. “Yes, my lord. Our strategic operations are currently in a tight balance; we have the Republic where we want them. A larger offensive would convince them to withdraw; a major loss would badly drain our resources.”

“Is there a fight somewhere in this line of thought?”

One of Yudrass’s entourage stepped up and whispered something. “Yes, Wrath,” said the Chiss. “There is a former White Maw cave some ways to the north that has been overrun by a very large number of small wampas. Whether it is a new breed or simply some strange pack of young ones, we cannot tell. But removing the infestation would be a great help.”

“Awesome. Carry on.” She ignored the baffled look on his face as she proceeded to the lift.

The party mounted their speeders – 2V-R8 had finally gotten the mechanical customizations to handle a speeder with some degree of finesse – and headed out to work.

Broonmark hesitated at the entrance of the cave. He waved a hand around and drew it toward his proboscis. “We smell many wampas,” he said.

“Double the wampas, double the fun,” said Nalenne.

“And hundred times the wampas, Sith clan?”

“A hundred times the fun.”

“I’m not sure I like that reasoning,” said Vette.

“Sissy. C’mon.”

The cave was busy, and Nalenne liked that. She carved on ahead with Broonmark while Vette held back placing blaster fire and Quinn moved around, scouting weaknesses to call and harassing the more dangerous beasts.

In time the cave opened into a large chamber that had signs of previous human habitation – some metal structure supporting the ice walls and ceiling, a few crates on the ground. And quite a few representatives of the beings that had driven the humans out. Nalenne sang a battlecry and jumped right in.

The little wampas were fast and vicious. It was fun. Nalenne wondered whether they were younglings. Not that it mattered either way; they died like any other enemy.

Three of them broke from the frenzy and started galloping toward Quinn. The sight yanked at her stomach a bit. “No!” she shouted, and instinctively vaulted away from her current engagement to take down the middle one. The other two wampas brought themselves up short and spun to face her. “Look at me, you overgrown rodents!”

“My lord,” yelled Vette. “Mad at him. Remember?”

Nalenne parried one wampa’s swing and coughed. “Right. I mean, yes, carry on, overgrown rodents!”

“My lord,” yelled Quinn indignantly.

“Oh, like you need the help.”

The beasts were savage and not a one was smart enough to die on the first four or five should-have-been-fatal wounds, but eventually Nalenne ran out of targets. The smell of blood and saber-scorched fur was heavy in the confines of the cave. It was good.

She cast off her outer coat and flopped down on the hard-packed floor. Cold, beautifully cold. Probably deadly with a few hours’ exposure, but for now the ice was the finest feeling imaginable against her feverish skin.

She opened her eyes to see Vette leaning over her. “You’re kind of weird, you know that?” said the Twi’lek.

“Bah. I bet Broonmark likes ice-lounging. He understands me.”

The Talz shuffled to her side and looked down at her. “No, Sith clan is weird,” he blorped.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
06.20.2012 , 07:12 AM | #84
45. Mini-snippet: In which Quinn cleans house

A detailed maintenance run
May not sound like a whole lot of fun.
To freshen the paint
With same-color restraint
Is a drag. But it has to be done.

“Hey, Vette?”

“Yeah?”

“Where’s Quinn?”

Vette looked up from the coffee table console. “How should I know?”

“Well, he lives on the bridge. You’re sitting by the passage to the bridge. Stands to reason.”

“The man walks through walls. Me sitting by a doorway gives me zero special insight.”

“Both he and 2V are gone.”

“Wow, it’s like a dream come true.”

“Stop that. I need to talk to him.”

The crew quarters were quiet – though in fairness, Nalenne was never inclined to listen too closely when Pierce’s door was closed – and the cargo hold had only Broonmark, messing once again with biochemical compounds at the workbench. Adrenals, most likely. Mixing combat adrenals was his second favorite pastime, after combat.

The mess, the conference room, the med bay, all were quite empty. Nalenne made her way to the engine room and, on a sudden impulse, opened the door very quietly, intending to watch and wait.

Ghost-Quinn and 2V-R8 were kneeling by one of the sublight fuel injectors. 2V had an assortment of tools and bottles lined up neatly by his side, and he was currently working at some fine detail of the injector with a tool Nalenne couldn’t quite make out. He was chattering in a bizarre alternation between his “relevant, permitted-by-Quinn’s-modifications speech” mode and his “original programming, volume-suppressed” mode (*).

“Some scoring here, sir, and it’s absolutely terrible how much of this has been allowed to wear away, we should probably adjust the turn rod to prevent that rubbing during high-dynamic maneuvers. Master won’t like this unsightly mess at all

“Right you are. While we're at it we should replace the whole rod. Consider diatium alloy this time, with neutronium plating only on the contact. It will be much lighter overall. I imagine it could shave three tenths of a gram off this ship’s mass.” They were quiet for a moment while 2V worked. Quinn, out of some sort of corporeal habit, pushed his hands back through his hair. And then he smiled. “Good. There’s more scoring on this side, not more than two square centimeters, once you’re finished over there. Good. I believe we could get another point oh oh oh eight percent efficiency out of this.”

2V’s servos whirred with happiness. “I believe you’re right, sir
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
06.20.2012 , 07:14 AM | #85
46. Mini-snippet: In which Nalenne practices

A man with a suitable blaster
Can take any veteran master.
A saber won’t save
Anyone, howe’er brave,
As long as the man fires faster.

A long stretch of the Helicarrier’s hangar was cleared, and Pierce had his blaster rifle out. Nalenne stood at the ready with her lightsaber. She nodded. He opened fire.

Ghost-Quinn approached while Nalenne was busily deflecting the stream of blaster bolts. Up, down, side to side, ran the shots, but mostly up. The captain stood by Pierce and folded his arms over his chest, waiting for the barrage to end so he could speak.

“What are you doing?”

“Trying to shoot Nalenne in the face,” said Pierce. “What’s it look like I’m doing?”

“It’s practice, Quinn,” added Nalenne. “I told him to.”

“Those can’t be live blaster bolts.”

“Don’t use any other kind, captain.”

Broonmark, standing off to one side, chortled.

“And yet he’s still breathing. This is what I’m talking about when I say you give preferential treatment, my lord.”

“Hey, shoot again,” said Nalenne. Pierce did so. Nalenne deftly turned and maneuvered to deflect the next four bolts directly through Quinn. “Look at that, eh?”

“I like it. Should’ve started that practice a long time ago,” said Pierce.

“This whole thing is fine, Quinn,” said Nalenne. “I asked him for it. And we do have a safeword.”

“Is that so?”

“Yeah. It’s something like ‘MRF ARG MY FACE.’”

Both Broonmark and Pierce snickered.

“Lieutenant, have you for one moment considered the consequences of successfully shooting the Emperor’s Wrath?”

“I expect she’ll get mad, scream a bit, and then we’ll go clean up at the nearest kolto facility.”

“And if she dies?”

“Someone’s badly lacking in faith here.”

“Oh? You yourself once said you were confident you could kill her.” (*)

“Walking up and shooting her wasn’t the idea for that, idiot. She can handle this, no problem.”

“C’mon, do it again,” urged Nalenne.

Pierce shrugged at Quinn and hefted his rifle. “Can’t disobey orders, now can I?”
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

iamthehoyden
06.20.2012 , 11:57 AM | #86
Yudriss!! I squeed when he came on scene Loves him! And Pierce! Loves him!
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

kabeone
06.20.2012 , 12:18 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
“Yeah. It’s something like ‘MRF ARG MY FACE.’”
I laughed so hard at this. I can imagine Quinn is crossing his arms thinking "That's too many syllables for a safe word!"

bright_ephemera
06.20.2012 , 01:37 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
I can imagine Quinn is crossing his arms thinking "That's too many syllables for a safe word!"
I can see Quinn's situational analysis now:

Pros:
- At least she's using a safeword
- And at least it isn't the one she and I used

Cons:
- It's four syllables long, for stars' sake, that isn't safe at all
- She's doing something with Pierce that requires a safeword
- And they're both really enjoying it
- How come she never let me do that, anyway?
- I hate my unlife
- This means I have to find a way to portray the scenario as bad for the Empire so I can put a stop to it.

Happily for him, "taking potshots at the Emperor's Wrath" is already an obvious bad thing for the Empire! Quinn's disapproval is clearly justified and, as always, has nothing to do with his personal issues. That's what I love about you, Quinn. You're my steadfast-denial-of-conflicts-of-interest man.

Reminds me of something I neglected to respond to a few pages back:
Quote: Originally Posted by MilaniGrey View Post
Also, I think Quinn is having a bad case of blue balls, as well as feeling a little rejected that he got killed and Jaesa didn't. *shrug*
Serves him right. Now he's as sexless as he always pretended to be. I think it's time to admit that this entire series is just one long elaborate revenge fic.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

kabeone
06.20.2012 , 01:41 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post

Serves him right. Now he's as sexless as he always pretended to be. I think it's time to admit that this entire series is just one long elaborate revenge fic.
I see no problems here loving it!

iamthehoyden
06.20.2012 , 02:26 PM | #90
Lol, I figured it was all about putting the screws to Quinn when I translated that line in your sig.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box