Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR.exe Running Twice in Task Manager

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
SWTOR.exe Running Twice in Task Manager
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Andryah
05.18.2012 , 03:00 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Metalmac View Post
The problem is that memory manager is crap in this game.
Example is the DiskCacheArena file in 1 hour from 10k to 1Gig and then things start crashing like sound or to desktop.
Sorry pal, I have yet to see a client crash, much less memory being used up. (6 gig, win 7 - 64, I7 cpu).
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

xShadowxs
05.18.2012 , 05:17 PM | #52
its the client.exe and the launcher and some ******* security they have going to check for external files and thats all im going to say

Infinity_bg
05.18.2012 , 10:32 PM | #53
Soo Bioware is working to repair that issue or not?? Because i don't have so much money to buy a dual or 4 CPU Xenon Server whit 100+ GB RAM with a 2 or 4 Graphic cards on SLI or Better only for a game! That is insane...

WillN
06.17.2012 , 07:12 PM | #54
The following procedure will sometimes yield increased performance consistency when critically running more than one application:

Hit Ctrl-Shift-Escape, bringing up Windows Task Manager

Click the Processes tab and find the known culprits among the running processes. It occasionally helps to sort the running list by CPU utilization by clicking the CPU column header.

In this case. we've already determined SWTOR.EXE (with large memory allocation) and the other SWTOR.EXE (about 20% of the primary SWTOR.EXE memory allocation) are the processes we need to wrangle. Right-click on the prim arty process and select Set Affinity... You will see a list of the running processors or "cores" withing the overall CPU installed inside your system. Gamers running quad-core CPUs will see each processor listed from 0 to 3. Dual-core chips yield a list from 0 to 1. I'll assume most active PC enthusiasts are running a quad-core processor, and accordingly they would uncheck the boxes for CPU 2 and 3 in the Processor Affinity window.

Click OK after the boxes are unchecked to close the Processor Affinity window. Then repeat the above procedure for the secondary SWTOR.EXE, this time unchecking the CPU 0 and 1 boxes. After clicking OK each of the two SWTOR.EXE processes have effectively been segregated in their own processing "hemisphere", if you will. Because BioWare has divided the games executive functioning between two running processes this procedure seems to allow the CPU to do its thing with more stability by taking the running individual processor assignment out of decision tree...

This kind of processing intervention is almost always ill-advised and can result in sub-optimal performance overall. However, after much futile tinkering, this tweak was set on 3 PCs which barely exceed BioWare's suggested minimum requirements and stability was noticeably improved on each. Note that if you're still running a dual-core CPU these days you should strongly consider upgrading it to the more contemporary quad-core specification since that change alone will alleviate the problem this thread addresses much more effectively than this simple tweak might offer. Hopefully a few of you having problems with lag, FPS or stuttering performance might benefit from this particular customization.

-Holmes
06.18.2012 , 07:55 AM | #55
People don't quite understand that this isn't a bug, a problem, or anything among the lies.

It's a necessity for the game to run.

Quote:
On the mark.

No 32 bit executable is able to address more than 1.5 GB of memory space, be it main or swap. Even the memory addressed on your video card counts toward this limit.
It's actually 2 GB not 1.5, but windows has to reserve a certain portion of main memory for each block of memory requisition by an application, so the end result at the maximum addressable space ends up being 1.5 GB for the application in question.

Of course that's not enough for SWTOR. So the workaround is to run two process's each with it's own handle and memory space, and allow them to interact at a run time level.

It's a good solution to a potentially game breaking engine limitation.
Source : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=435028

The game is simply too big, hence it needs a secondary executable.

sylvantino
07.05.2013 , 03:56 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by MaskedDriver View Post
Unused memory is wasted memory. As long as they're not using 100% of your CPU and 100% of your memory, you shouldn't see too much of a system hit from it.

There are actually several games that I've played that have two executables. It could possibly be some sort of load-balancing feature or something. Try force closing either one of them. The entire client goes down. There is a purpose for them both.
but i wonder how many actually launch the actual game twice using the exact same files?

Systems are taking a huge hit, bioware have been aware of this, but to date since this thread was created have refused to fix the issue. It is a massive drain on systems and imo sloppy development.

After 5 or 6 hours game time, it becomes really choppy, with 100% cpu used on an i7 quad core, and memory usage 8 gb, 7.8gb used...the memory is not the issue here, its the cpu hardware and hard resources which are being completely choked by this game. I have run far more graphic needy games without a fith of the problems this produced by being a massive drain, it's quite ridiculous.

Pretty much, running two exact copies of the game that's what happens when both exe are run. It's simply not acceptable, and these people should have done something about this a very long time ago.

sylvantino
07.05.2013 , 03:58 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Infinity_bg View Post
Soo Bioware is working to repair that issue or not?? Because i don't have so much money to buy a dual or 4 CPU Xenon Server whit 100+ GB RAM with a 2 or 4 Graphic cards on SLI or Better only for a game! That is insane...
clearly they are not working on fixing a game that is too big for itself..no one else has this massive issue (mmo devs) and its mid and high end systems after a number of hours, god only knows what it is doing to low end machines barely able to play this

Time to offload and give us a 64 bit version of this game or is it too much ?