Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

May I please have another try at renaming?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
May I please have another try at renaming?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

dermitni
06.18.2012 , 04:39 AM | #1
Dear Bioware,

after the merge/transfer I had to rename may main character and unwisely chose some accents but kept the rest of the name (I'm so happy btw. I could at least keep my legacy name). I know I could have stayed on the origin server (at least for some more months) but my guild was moving and I didn't want to stay back. The problem now for me is: I bonded with my character and his name and I just can't bring myself to play this character with strange symbols in his name (you could say I lost the bond) anymore; it's like having switched into the twilight zone.

Could you please allow me to rename him once more, so I can make up my mind again and choose a new name and play him like a new person with which I hopefully can rebond? I tried but found out that I cannot bond with a character which has strange accents in his name when I knew him before with an untainted name...

Yours, Niko
The Progenitor: Hran'orfon - Chiss Ascendancy Sniper Vidaar Amakiir - Imperial Honor Guard
Jung Ma: Lythe Vodaine - Jedi Healer

Lsheistaon
06.18.2012 , 04:45 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi dermitni,

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the name you chose. Unfortunately, you will not have an opportunity to rename your new character as we do not offer name chages for characters.

We apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

Lsheistaon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Tatile
06.18.2012 , 04:53 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Lsheistaon View Post
Hi dermitni,

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the name you chose. Unfortunately, you will not have an opportunity to rename your new character as we do not offer name changes for characters.

We apologize for any inconvenience this causes.
Does this mean you'll never offer the ability to change our character's name or are you just referring to the now?

Lsheistaon
06.18.2012 , 04:56 AM | #4 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hi Tatile,

Unfortunately, I have no further information on if/when character renaming will become an option for our users in the future. Please keep an eye on the forums and the website for further updates.

Thanks.

Lsheistaon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

skidrows
06.18.2012 , 05:12 AM | #5
Send a ticket in game, they allowed me to rename when i explaned what happend, selected my trooper but it was my jedi i renamed so my Jedi got the trooper name.

dermitni
06.18.2012 , 05:22 AM | #6
Well, I do understand why you have to give me the answer you did, but nevertheless I am deeply disappointed in the lack of power the customer service of Bioware seems to have. If someone would have reported my name as unfitting/insulting etc. I'd right away get the chance to change it but not if I had to choose a new name for my level-39-Sage after the merger/transfer. If it was a fresh character (even up to level 20) I'd just say "Oh well, let's just start over" but I'm not willing to do this with a level-39-character. So, in other words, you are totally willing to switch the "must rename"-flag of my character if another player asks you to, but you are not willing to do so, if it is I who asks...

I'm sorry to unload my frustration on you as I am not holding any grudge against you personally but the naming rules of your comany (and the bad database design with taking the name as sole identifier) actually killed my fun with this character. You make a lot of advertising about bonding with one's characters and their names, but in the end it all doesn't matter. Oh well, I can play my (new) alts with my (roleplaying) guild but I am deeply disappointed with my whole MMORPG experience so far. If my frustration level stays this high I'll probably switch back to single-player-games.

Niko
The Progenitor: Hran'orfon - Chiss Ascendancy Sniper Vidaar Amakiir - Imperial Honor Guard

dermitni
06.18.2012 , 05:25 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by skidrows View Post
Send a ticket in game, they allowed me to rename when i explaned what happend, selected my trooper but it was my jedi i renamed so my Jedi got the trooper name.
I'm afraid they were only willing to allow you this because it was a problem that many people had. I don't think the in-game-support will be willing to do more than give me the same answer I got here. Nevertheless thanks for the adivce.

Cheers, Niko

Devorah
06.18.2012 , 07:51 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by dermitni View Post
I'm afraid they were only willing to allow you this because it was a problem that many people had. I don't think the in-game-support will be willing to do more than give me the same answer I got here. Nevertheless thanks for the adivce.

Cheers, Niko
You will get the same answer you got here. I have the same issue. At first, I thought my character were actually against the naming policy, (someone on the new server said, "Hey isn't that name in the Bible?! That's a naming violation!) So I thought I would be able to change them. After sending in a ticket, I was told that I shouldn't worry, the names were fine.

When I asked if it was possible to change them anyway; new server, new lease on life, new chance to get the names I wanted... Nope! we can't do that! CLOSE TICKET.

Something as simple as name changes not available... fun times.

PS. This isn't a BW issue, it is an EA issue. Remember, EA bought out BW prior to launch. EA is known for horrific customer service. They don't seem to care, and the people they hire to take on unhappy customers get the brunt of the pain involved. They love to take their time on anything and everything, leaving customers in the dark; playing games that are buggy, unfinished, or lacking simple pleasures any other game out there comes out with at the very beginning. (Any game worth its salt, I should say.)
Greed purifies in the way it burns the world
Balancing wish with loss
Until we own nothing
Nothing but our perfect longing. - Leonard Cohen