Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

nartiuslightlord's Avatar


nartiuslightlord
06.17.2012 , 04:57 PM | #91
Good to see this topic still alive! keep fighting for it guys! this is the reason we can work together in the hopes a civil rally for the devs to get this added happens at some point. I sometimes feel I might go negative about the devs and have in a few threads today. but i still hope they get us things we talked about in beta forums.

Keep fighting for diveristy in your MMO peoples! stay cool to each other for our games sake!
CE VIP

SWTOR Episode I - A New Meme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDaG7YqaV4

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
06.17.2012 , 06:12 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
I still see Vette as a possible "I never considered being with a woman until you" type. You know the relatively new saying: "Love doesn't care about gender". I think it could easily be worked in with Vette and some others.
I think Vette would be a great match for a nice lady Warrior, even more than LS Jaesa, because the latter has the Master/Aprentice thing and that could weird things out a bit, for me at least.
But, whatever current companion gets to be available for SGRs, I would prefer no "come outs" of any kind, no explanations or anything. It just happens. Period.

Luhrsen's Avatar


Luhrsen
06.17.2012 , 06:28 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
I think Vette would be a great match for a nice lady Warrior, even more than LS Jaesa, because the latter has the Master/Aprentice thing and that could weird things out a bit, for me at least.
But, whatever current companion gets to be available for SGRs, I would prefer no "come outs" of any kind, no explanations or anything. It just happens. Period.
I prefer this. Like Silk Fox in JE said, "I've never felt this way about any man or woman". Choosing instead to make a distinction only makes it seem like there is something wrong or abnormal with those feelings.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
06.17.2012 , 07:03 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Luhrsen View Post
I prefer this. Like Silk Fox in JE said, "I've never felt this way about any man or woman". Choosing instead to make a distinction only makes it seem like there is something wrong or abnormal with those feelings.
Silk Fox <3

Now I feel the need to play Jade Empire again.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
06.17.2012 , 07:28 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
But, whatever current companion gets to be available for SGRs, I would prefer no "come outs" of any kind, no explanations or anything. It just happens. Period.
Agreed. In the romances I've done so far, there's pretty much just been a mutual confirmation of attraction - or, in Akaavi's case, her straight-up asking how you see her. Having it work like that for SGRs would confirm that same-sex attraction is seen as completely normal in the SW universe, something common enough that people don't see any need to treat it differently. It really seems like that would be the best way to handle it.

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
06.17.2012 , 09:39 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
I think Vette would be a great match for a nice lady Warrior, even more than LS Jaesa, because the latter has the Master/Aprentice thing and that could weird things out a bit, for me at least.
So Master/Slave is not as weird as Master/Apprentice? At no point does the SW actually free Vette... just takes her shock collar off.

(Unless it happens later on in the SW story, of course... My SW is just in the last stages of Alderaan/Chapter 1.)

I'm not bothered by either situation, by the way. In my headcannon, my SW freed Vette from slavery when she removed the collar. She hasn't met Jaesa yet, still tracking her down.

Quote:
But, whatever current companion gets to be available for SGRs, I would prefer no "come outs" of any kind, no explanations or anything. It just happens. Period.
I would like to see variety. Not everyone's the same, not everyone reacts to their own sexuality the same way, not every culture treats sexuality the same way even within the Empire/Republic. So variety is good.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Sunseeker's Avatar


Sunseeker
06.17.2012 , 10:34 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Luhrsen View Post
I prefer this. Like Silk Fox in JE said, "I've never felt this way about any man or woman". Choosing instead to make a distinction only makes it seem like there is something wrong or abnormal with those feelings.
To an extent I disagree.

Saying "I've never felt this way about a woman." since quite possibly Vette(or another female in question) may have felt that way about a man is entirely reasonable. But as it's been pointed out, I'd like to see some variety, I think it's pretty obvious that DS Jaesa really doesn't care to much who or what she gets nookie from, and the same is probably true for other characters as well.

Just as Theran flirts with fem-consular in your first conversation with him, some people see it and know they want it. Some folks may need to warm up to the idea, even Malavi needs to be slow-cooked to even show some feelings for the fem-warrior. He's quite possibly a character who's never thought about his sexuality, or sexuality of any sort at all!

But, again, it is that diversity among how companions approach the player about romance that makes it fun to play through all the different stories. I still feel that the simplest and most player-empowering option would be to select an orientation at character creation. "heterosexual", "homosexual", "neutral/bisexual" "none", which would effectively toggle which romances are active for you in the game.
I'm tired. I'm a grump. I have an attitude and a short fuse. So really, try me.

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
06.18.2012 , 06:29 AM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
But, again, it is that diversity among how companions approach the player about romance that makes it fun to play through all the different stories. I still feel that the simplest and most player-empowering option would be to select an orientation at character creation. "heterosexual", "homosexual", "neutral/bisexual" "none", which would effectively toggle which romances are active for you in the game.
People have brought up that idea in these threads before, and I've never liked it. Part of the appeal of playing characters in this game is that we get to make choices, instead of just blindly following quests like in other MMOs. Those choices may not have game-changing results, but they define our characters. I don't like the idea of making such a limiting choice before I even start playing a character.

For example: when I started my Smuggler, if I'd had to make a choice about his sexuality, I would have made him heterosexual. The dashing rogue who can charm any woman he meets is such an archetype for the character, so I would have gone with that. But here's the thing: after meeting Corso, and having him as a companion for a while, I think he's an interesting dude and that he and my Smuggler get on well, so I think it'd be cool to pursue a relationship with him. (This is, of course, assuming SGRs are in the game.) But no, I can't, because of an option I chose before I even started playing.

I don't like the idea of character-limiting options like that. The game gives us options for a reason, we should be free to choose what we want. Especially when it comes to developing our characters.

Also, and this is something of a side note, as it's been a while since anyone brought it up: in the past, the idea of putting a "toggle" on same-sex relationships appearing in the game has caused pages and pages of arguments. BioWare's official position is that such a thing would be discriminatory. A lot of people who said they wanted a toggle basically wanted to make it so they didn't see any hint of homosexuality in their game. I am not in any way saying that's what you've said. I did not get that impression from your post at all, quite the opposite. But you used the word, so I wanted to make sure you understand that it's not a concept people like in this thread.

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
06.18.2012 , 11:44 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post

There is not nearly enough 'definition' for the differences between characters and in my opinion, having characters with set personalities and set sexual preferences gives those characters a deeper and more realistic feel and at the same time gives us as LGBT players a definite feel of 'yes we do exist in this game' instead of just the shared pallet where every time we argue for the existence of such characters we just get slammed in the face by 'Player-sexual character not homosexual, get your gay **** out of my *Insert product here*.'
I've never heard that "no gays b/c they are player-sexual' argument brought up, tbh.

I prefer the "player-sexual" thing from a strictly game-play standpoint. I like having the ability to romance the character I like the most or is the best fit with my PC vs. the one the devs arbitrarily choose to be 'the gay' or 'the bisexual' one. I guess it depends on how you approach these romances. I will only pursue romances if I like them and won't do the romance that's available to me just because it's there. Some people may be different and will do whatever romance is available just to do it.

On that note, I'm all for representation of LGBT characters but prefer it done with non-LI characters. For starters, interaction with these type of characters typically can't be avoided. With an LI on the other-hand, those that choose not to pursue that romance probably won't even know that the character is gay/bisexual/etc. By doing it with an LI character, it seems as if the LGBT content is being cornered off into an optional part of the game that most won't have to 'deal with'.
Node guarder

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
06.18.2012 , 11:51 AM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I've never heard that "no gays b/c they are player-sexual' argument brought up, tbh.

I prefer the "player-sexual" thing from a strictly game-play standpoint. I like having the ability to romance the character I like the most or is the best fit with my PC vs. the one the devs arbitrarily choose to be 'the gay' or 'the bisexual' one. I guess it depends on how you approach these romances. I will only pursue romances if I like them and won't do the romance that's available to me just because it's there. Some people may be different and will do whatever romance is available just to do it.

On that note, I'm all for representation of LGBT characters but prefer it done with non-LI characters. For starters, interaction with these type of characters typically can't be avoided. With an LI on the other-hand, those that choose not to pursue that romance probably won't even know that the character is gay/bisexual/etc. By doing it with an LI character, it seems as if the LGBT content is being cornered off into an optional part of the game that most won't have to 'deal with'.
Ok, I have to ask... What exactly is "player-sexual"? I've never heard that term before. o0
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.