Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A plea for help: What's in a name?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
A plea for help: What's in a name?

Ohdan
06.16.2012 , 06:07 PM | #41
I've always taken my RL name and jumbled it up to come up with a game name(sometimes its taken others its not).
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-confucius
"All hail the UBERNOOBERPLASTICBOOBERLUBER Sir Sheldon Coppertard the Forum Jester"

SirSensi
06.16.2012 , 07:46 PM | #42
I'm suprised that Coppertard hasn't graced this thread with his theorycrafting on the matter.

OT: Mr. KnightHawk, I feel for ya man, I do. On my server, I attempted to use a name that I have used in other games as well, and I had to settle with a variance of it. I had the name in Beta, and when TOR went live, to keep it, I had to add a ' to a portion of it. However, my other names of which I have used as much as the one I had to modify were not used. Picking a popular name has its disadvantages.
SQUADRON 238 |Beta Tester|
< The Trichome Legacy >

Sensi

Captain_Zone
06.16.2012 , 08:24 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by SirSensi View Post
I'm suprised that Coppertard hasn't graced this thread with his theorycrafting on the matter.

OT: Mr. KnightHawk, I feel for ya man, I do. On my server, I attempted to use a name that I have used in other games as well, and I had to settle with a variance of it. I had the name in Beta, and when TOR went live, to keep it, I had to add a ' to a portion of it. However, my other names of which I have used as much as the one I had to modify were not used. Picking a popular name has its disadvantages.
I'm waiting for SheldonCooperfield to start a new thread.

On topic:

OP, I hear ya and feel your pain somewhat. I've used one or two names since my first days in Underlight and EQ. This is honestly the first time I've ever lost them. However, there's no sense in me worrying about it. Stuff happens. I learned in EVE that nothing is that important in online games.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Sauska
06.16.2012 , 08:32 PM | #44
Mon Capitaine, go to bed
The Borealis Legacy

Captain_Zone
06.16.2012 , 08:39 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Sauska View Post
Mon Capitaine, go to bed
It's not even 20:00 hours here yet.
. OPOD

AzraelCales
06.16.2012 , 08:53 PM | #46
OP I sent you a private message but thought I'd post here as well in case you don't check it. I made a character on Ebon Hawk named CrimsonHawk. While it's not he same as your original name if you would like to have it just let me know and I will delete that character.
Darth Sypherius - The world means nothing to a dreamer.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
By all means, please proceed to pull out your MMO walking stick and wave it.

Sancofa
06.17.2012 , 04:41 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by TheKnightHawk View Post
So, these are just bits of data on a sever somwhere, not real people. I get that. But I've invested a lot of time in creating my character (on a roleplay server) and part of who that character is, what makes him feel real to me, is his name. This name is important to me, as it's something personal that I've been using in other places for over two decades now. I'm not willing to change that name, and I made extra sure to buy the game as soon as possible so that I could reserve that name.
Did you ever think that maybe the other guy/girl feels the same way about that name? It is not their fault that you had the misfortune of a name change due to BW's miss handling of servers at the begining.
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Sorry my english isn't very good looking

TheKnightHawk
06.17.2012 , 10:51 AM | #48
AzraelCales, I responded via PM.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sancofa View Post
Did you ever think that maybe the other guy/girl feels the same way about that name? It is not their fault that you had the misfortune of a name change due to BW's miss handling of servers at the begining.
Yes, I did consider that. That's why, instead of demanding that Bioware release the name to me, I asked to be put in touch with the player who has the name in use on that server so that I could ask if he or she wouldn't mind giving it up. I never insisted that he or she give it up, but rather tried to find out if the name had any importance to him or her. Given that he or she hasn't responded to my in-game e-mail as of yet, it's quite possible that the player just reserved the name with a level 1 character and hasn't logged in to check his/her mail. It's also possible that the name doesn't have any signifigance to the player, so I thought I'd ask.

Unfortunately, there's no direct way for me to get in touch with this player if he or she hasn't logged on to the account. The game never tells you if your alts have e-mail and there's no way to check and see which player owns which character. Nor is there any way to PM the player here on the forums without knowing his/her username.

To the other posters who feel my pain: Thanks for your sympathy. I appreciate that others can see my point of view and am sorry that so many have had a bad experience with the transfers.

Captain_Zone
06.17.2012 , 06:56 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by TheKnightHawk View Post
AzraelCales, I responded via PM.

Yes, I did consider that. That's why, instead of demanding that Bioware release the name to me, I asked to be put in touch with the player who has the name in use on that server so that I could ask if he or she wouldn't mind giving it up. I never insisted that he or she give it up, but rather tried to find out if the name had any importance to him or her. Given that he or she hasn't responded to my in-game e-mail as of yet, it's quite possible that the player just reserved the name with a level 1 character and hasn't logged in to check his/her mail. It's also possible that the name doesn't have any signifigance to the player, so I thought I'd ask.

Unfortunately, there's no direct way for me to get in touch with this player if he or she hasn't logged on to the account. The game never tells you if your alts have e-mail and there's no way to check and see which player owns which character. Nor is there any way to PM the player here on the forums without knowing his/her username.

To the other posters who feel my pain: Thanks for your sympathy. I appreciate that others can see my point of view and am sorry that so many have had a bad experience with the transfers.
Sir, I respect you for not only handling this with style and class, but also for NOT being like SirCoppertard The Nublet. While your situations were similar, he went about it all wrong. Tbh, I'm pretty sure still that he was trolling, but oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

Anyhow, I honestly hope you get your name back, or at least are able to talk to the person who has it. Fly safe, man. o7
. OPOD