Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Duel Monitor issue

Hidalgo
12.17.2011 , 02:53 AM | #1
I am using a Laptop with an Intel Core i5-430m processor, 4gb ram, and ATI Radion HD 5650.

I often use my laptop monitor as monitor 2, and a second monitor attached via VGA port as monitor 1(it's bigger and has a higher resolution at a better ratio).

my problem is that the game starts to launch with this set up, the screens both flicker for a few seconds, then the game crashes, how ever, when i use my laptop screen as monitor 1, the game opens just fine.

was wondering if there were any settings in the main TOR directory(since the launcher is barren of useful settings), that i need to mess with so the game will launch on my larger screen without fail.

I used to play on Sunrunner, but then ... now i play on Prophecy of the Five.
SAIL!
Prophecy of The five Forums
Blame it on my A.D.D. baby...

Hidalgo
12.17.2011 , 11:16 AM | #2
bump to page 1!
SAIL!

Hidalgo
12.18.2011 , 01:53 AM | #3
someday, i will get help
SAIL!

Kolreth
12.18.2011 , 01:55 AM | #4
I hate it when my monitors duel. Bits fly everywhere, and there are bruises all over the screen.

Hidalgo
12.18.2011 , 01:59 AM | #5
wow i did use the wrong form of the word didn't I... fixing that!
SAIL!

Xfraze
12.18.2011 , 02:09 AM | #6
When you say that you're using your laptop screen as monitor 1, do you mean that you're unplugging the VGA monitor and just running the game on the laptop without the extra monitor plugged in?

Or do you mean that you're actually going into windows or the Catalyst Control Center to switch around which is monitor 1 and which is monitor 2?

Might give you a clue as to if the problem is with the second monitor itself or having a second monitor plugged in period.

Hidalgo
12.18.2011 , 02:15 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Xfraze View Post
When you say that you're using your laptop screen as monitor 1, do you mean that you're unplugging the VGA monitor and just running the game on the laptop without the extra monitor plugged in?

Or do you mean that you're actually going into windows or the Catalyst Control Center to switch around which is monitor 1 and which is monitor 2?

Might give you a clue as to if the problem is with the second monitor itself or having a second monitor plugged in period.

the external monitor is plugged in during both instances. in order for me to launch the game, i need to have my laptop screen set as the main monitor(monitor 1) and my external monitor set to monitor 2(yes plugged in). i still get another screen for me to manage maps and derpy stuff like music with, but I'd rather have the game on the larger external monitor and all my ridiculous crap on my laptop monitor.
SAIL!

Xfraze
12.18.2011 , 02:59 AM | #8
Hrm...this is a long shot, but have you played around with the refresh rate settings? SWTOR lets you change the settings in the graphics options. Maybe the game is trying to run at a refresh rate your larger monitor doesn't support?

Another thing I'd do if you have a keyboard and mouse is hooking them up to your laptop and closing your laptop monitor with the second monitor plugged in. Most laptops that I've seen default your primary display to be the monitor plugged in.

I'm honestly hoping the refresh rate thing is the problem though, on account of the fact that if it's SWTOR just plain hates your second monitor, I probably got nothing for you aside from the standard update your video drivers.

The way to know for sure if it's the monitor or something else would be to plug in a different monitor. I realize that may not be an option, but I'm the type of person who likes to mention all the possible ways to troubleshoot a problem.

The fact that SWTOR runs with both monitors hooked up, just not on your second one (VGA) implies that the game doesn't hate dual monitor inherently (I'm also rocking Dual Screens, but on a tower).

Hidalgo
12.18.2011 , 04:31 PM | #9
i got it to work, heres how.

with it launching on my laptop display i changed the graphics to be windowed(fullscreen). i then closed the client, swapped main display to my VGA monitor, opened the game, which opened at a wonky resolution on my laptop display and disabled my VGA monitor, after this is Win+D to desktop, go to monitor settings and enable the VGA monitor.

now it looks like it want it to....
SAIL!

Silate
06.07.2014 , 08:47 AM | #10
I have the same issue every time I play without the monitor then plug it back in. The way I get her going again is to open it just on the lappy screen, set it to fullscreen (I normally play fullscreen windowed) Then keep changes, then go back to fullscreen windowed. Once its set, plug the monitor in (i have it set to auto defult to primary monitor when plugged in so I dont have to tell the lappy to make it monitor 1) Then swtor will freeze. Close it down and reopen. After that it defults to 16x9 and everything just works from there.