Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Calacoid War Game (40 FP) is a perfect example of how not to design a flash point

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Calacoid War Game (40 FP) is a perfect example of how not to design a flash point

MercArcher
12.18.2011 , 03:43 PM | #1
Calacoid War Games very first encounter is a perfect example of what not to do when designing a flash point.

The very first encounter uses a very confusing mechanic in the turrets that has not been used before and that no one knows how to use initially. There is no tutorial, you're just thrown into a wipe with no idea how the turret functions. In the future when adding new mechanics such as a vehicle/turret style encounter some quick instruction would be helpful.
-«« CONŠEMNEŠ »»-
A NA TEAM PVP & RAID FOCUSED GUILD
Θ SITE POLICIES YOUTUBE Θ

LauZaIM
12.18.2011 , 03:45 PM | #2
Lol, you expect flashpoints and game encounter mechanics to come with a manual? What kind of challenge is that? It completely ruins the point. You are supposed to have to figure things out on your own.
((( Why feel bad if I don't have to? )))
║█║▌│║▌█║▌║
SQUADRON157

Dasffion
12.18.2011 , 03:45 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MercArcher View Post
Calacoid War Games very first encounter is a perfect example of what not to do when designing a flash point.

The very first encounter uses a very confusing mechanic in the turrets that has not been used before and that no one knows how to use initially. There is no tutorial, you're just thrown into a wipe with no idea how the turret functions. In the future when adding new mechanics such as a vehicle/turret style encounter some quick instruction would be helpful.
Granted I've only played WoW but they don't generally give tutorials on how to beat the dungeons. Deadmines comes to mind where you have to have 1 guy get in the Robot and hold off the adds while everyone else takes out the boss. There's no tutorial for this, people had to figure it out.

Anthya
12.18.2011 , 04:00 PM | #4
Took us a bit to nail the first encounter last night, but felt rather rewarding when we did.

Honestly, I'd completely disagree with you. It's a perfect example of how *to* design a flash point. Felt very different to the typical MMO dungeon experience.

MercArcher
12.18.2011 , 04:03 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by LauZaIM View Post
Lol, you expect flashpoints and game encounter mechanics to come with a manual? What kind of challenge is that? It completely ruins the point. You are supposed to have to figure things out on your own.
When the entire encounter is based off of a gimmick of being in a turret where you are given no explanation of how to control the turret? Yes i expect a manual.
-«« CONŠEMNEŠ »»-

bigmanjokk
12.18.2011 , 04:08 PM | #6
The firing rate of the turrets was inconsistent, and if an enemy got too close it wouldnt even register until it started pounding on you.
Sometimes you would get a double spawn. Very buggy encounter

Nakemi
12.18.2011 , 04:13 PM | #7
Anyone remember the days where you couldnt find out everything ever on the internet?

I agree with a previous post it is more fun and more rewarding to figure it out for myself rather than be spoon fed tactics.
Much to my Guild leaders annoyance I never read up on tactics in WoW, just turn up and hope for the best ^^
We be Smuggling

MercArcher
12.18.2011 , 04:16 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Nakemi View Post
Anyone remember the days where you couldnt find out everything ever on the internet?

I agree with a previous post it is more fun and more rewarding to figure it out for myself rather than be spoon fed tactics.
Much to my Guild leaders annoyance I never read up on tactics in WoW, just turn up and hope for the best ^^
Get in a turret

50 mobs spawn

Go
How do you shoot the turret?
How do you aim the turret?

Respond within 5 seconds or you wipe.
-«« CONŠEMNEŠ »»-

Dasffion
12.18.2011 , 04:17 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MercArcher View Post
Get in a turret

50 mobs spawn

Go
How do you shoot the turret?
How do you aim the turret?

Respond within 5 seconds or you wipe.
Wiping is not a big deal. How many times did you wipe before you figured it out?

MercArcher
12.18.2011 , 04:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
Wiping is not a big deal. How many times did you wipe before you figured it out?
6 before we just quit and went back to questing because it just wasn't worth continuing.

We figured it out after 4 attempts, but the encounter is extremely buggy and inconsistent.
-«« CONŠEMNEŠ »»-