Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Irritating crippling lag spikes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Irritating crippling lag spikes

Stephannie
12.18.2011 , 01:49 PM | #1
When I first started playing I had horrible lag. I turned off shadow at that seemed to fix the constant lag issue. What I have now though is a lag spike that begins roughly 15 - 30 minutes after logging in. At that time they happen about every 4 minutes and last for 0.5 - 2 minutes. As time goes by they occur more often and seem to last longer. (So long in fact that after defeating a group of NPCs, if a spike happens they will respawn before I have finished looting them.)

When the spike happens, sound will become choppy and staticy and fps will drop to 1.0 - 0.2. I am unable to move or really do anything until it passes (if in combat what I usually di is press my hotkeys in the order I would normally do and using the timing I would if I was actually fighting, and hope for the best.)

I have tried logging out and logging right back in. That did nothing at all, a lag spike would occur almost immediatly. I have tried exiting the game and restarting it. The result was similar to logging out. I have tried disabling my firewall. That had no effect. I have updated all of my drivers yesterday and that also had no effect.

Does anyone have any idea what I can try next?? Because during the initial 15 - 30 minutes, and in between the spikes the game works fine and is really fun.

Thank you very much for your time.
* * *Fade to Black * * *

eedwana
12.18.2011 , 01:59 PM | #2
I suffer from framerate stutter as well. Happens about an hour or so into game and remains until I log off for a while. No graphic settings were able to resolve it. I tried everything off and set to low as well as all high.

Im running ATI HD 6950 with current drivers on win XP SP3 with latest updates as well.
This system just had a fresh install and dxdiag checks out.

I can submit logs if need be but this is annoying. Ill be around for sometime but I can see new players getting turned off by the framerate stutter.
TOR [Resurgence]
SWG [Force Hunters]
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Imperial Ace

Alvinheimer
12.18.2011 , 02:06 PM | #3
I'm having the same problem. My settings are on minimum at this point. It only seems to happen when i'm in a confined space like a cave, open world runs smoothly.

Chelyn
12.18.2011 , 02:16 PM | #4
I too have noticed that I get very large lag spikes throughout the game. It happens about every 4 minutes and I drop to about 1.1 FPS. I have a good rig with a gig of ram on my graphics card.

Tactical_Error
12.18.2011 , 02:18 PM | #5
I initially had this problem and it turned out to be my graphics card overheating. Opened up and cleaned out my computer, stopped getting lag spikes. Of course I still experience an average of low frame rate, but that's another problem I'm trying to solve all together, the point is I'm no longer getting those crippling spikes. You might want to download something like HWMonitor and see if your GPU is too hot.

Dacooker
12.18.2011 , 02:24 PM | #6
I've been getting the same thing since EGA started.

It appears to be a lag/communication issue. Where the server and the PC lag out and don't talk. However it also freezes all other actions on my PC. I can't even alt tab to get to the task manager.

Sometimes the sound continues, sometimes it pulses annoyingly.

After 5 of so minutes the game resumes, sometimes going to the loading screen with a the blue circle in the bottom right corner, then back to game.

I've done three fresh installs. Cleaned my registry, opened my firewalls, etc.

I've searched the forums and haven't found an answer.

I was in two separate beta weekends, never once had this particular issue.

It would be nice to get some help with this issue, however it doesn't seem to even be taken seriously from customer support, quite sad if you ask me.

Good luck to anyone having this issue.

If this isn't fixed soon, I won't be picking up my physical copy, and I will not be subscribing. I will be playing real life.
means Bank....
11-11-11

kaireigu
12.18.2011 , 02:26 PM | #7
I have the same problem, PVP is between 3 - 11 fps and in certain areas of PVE such as cities I get 9 - 16 fps all other areas are 20 - 30 fps.

Specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 2.80Ghz
ATI Sapphire 1gb 5450 HD
4gb DDR2 1066mhz RAM
Winows Vista 32 bit (Unfortunatly)

All settings are set to low with shadows off and graphics card is set to best performance

Please tell me what you think of my system and how I may improve upon it I'm getting an
AMD Phenom II Quad Core 3.20Ghz which should hopefully speed things up a lot.

My graphics card isn't great but i'm on a low budget and it seems to do the job compared to my onboard graphics which didn't allow me to play PVE in beta.

Ginnza
12.18.2011 , 02:27 PM | #8
I'm getting this horrible "lag" (I know it's from the fps) whenever I enter a building, and It's so horrible that I just can't play or even write in the general chat.

My laptop has the minimum (and even more) requirements, with the drivers updated today to see if that was the problem, I've run games that needed even better requirements than this but didn't encounter that problem.

I'm desperate -.- I paid 54 and I just can't play and continue with my character because all of it's quest are inside a building, and when I enter it... Lag, lag... I tried everything, everything that I know and that I have seen online and nothing.

And yeah, if this isn't solved I'll just cancel my game and subcription, I'm really disappointed -.-