Community Q&A Blog Discussion: June 8th, 2012

Normally I'm very happy to see any kind of communication where questions are being answered, but... there really wasn't all that much there of use =/

Agree with this, its like the devs picked the easiest questions again, rather than questions that people want answering.

I know it's a back-burner priority but, when you get around to considering what was discussed in the following Q/A I have a suggestion.

"Elperzon: Will we ever be given the chance to 'forget' schematics we know? For example, I can make the base item, the 3 upgraded version (crit, power, def), and some of their upgraded versions (alacrity, surge, etc). That makes for a ton of schematics for a single item. I would love to be able to forget the base item schematic if I have the upgraded version I like/want.

Damion: This is, in fact, something that we've thought about and might implement at some point. However, it's mostly a nice cleanup thing and is behind other priorities at the moment."

On the crafting crew skill windows, why not give us filters similar to what are used on item database sites for MMOs. In other words allow us to specify a level range, one or more item quality designations (ie. could select just artifact OR prototype and artificat), slot item fits (be it mod, enhancement, etc. or chest, head, etc.) , what stat(s) item should include and armor weight (light, medium, heavy.) User populates some or all of those things and clicks a [FILTER] button and the list shrinks to just those items. So whether you want to see just prototype mods between the levels of 45-50 that your CyberTech knows or all medium protoype & artifact chest pieces with Aim on them that your ArmorTech can make, you could do that.

No need to "forget" schematics if we have a way to filter the list we have.

Really pleased to see that I'll have the option to purchase Exotech Stims and Adrenal schematics in 1.3. As a player who's been raiding HMs since February, I've seen 1 adrenal schematic drop, ever. I still wish the base drop-rate would have been increased earlier, to make these schematics "acquirable" while running the relevant content -- but I'm just glad that come 1.3 I'll actually be able to learn them (finally!) Thanks BW =)

*sigh*

Come on, BioWare, we really need some information, *any* information, on what you're doing on the open-world PvP revamp. Seriously, ANYTHING. It doesn't even have to be any real details, just a design intent, or a list of design ideas you're considering, or a goal of some kind.

I think the question about the presence stat was asking about its usefulness on companions not for companions. I could be wrong but that was where I thought the player was going with it. Good question too.

Agree with this, its like the devs picked the easiest questions again, rather than questions that people want answering.

Yes. Lots of 1.3 questions because the Q&A thread was posted before it was announced that 1.3 was coming to PTS.

That was a bit backwards. Now those questions have already been answered by the community before the Q&A went live today.

RCcarroll: I play characters of a multitude of levels regularly and haven't gotten one Legacy Item drop. Would you mind saying how often these are supposed to drop and on what kind of enemies?

David Hunt: Legacy items do not have a specific drop location. Inheritance can drop from any random loot of level 34 or higher. That usually means killing NPCs at level 34 or above, but it’s possible for an NPC to drop loot slightly above its level. Birthright items drop from level 46+ (Inheritance can still drop from 46-50). It is difficult to state their precise drop rates because most random drop rates vary significantly depending on what you’re killing. Normal bosses throughout the world have a substantially higher chance of dropping these than regular NPCs.

These drops are included in the Artifact quality loot table. As with everything on that table, the best way to find it is through Artifact quality lockboxes anywhere in the level range. Tough bosses that drop random loot are another option. However, I would not recommend purchasing these boxes with the expectation of finding lots of Legacy gear – there are tons of competing items in those loot tables.

Whenever dealing with any drop rate that’s low and random from a large selection, the individual experience ends up varying wildly. The overall drop chance for these is increasing in an upcoming update, and we’re looking at other ways to normalize the acquisition rate of these items.

Its not just drops from mobs that give legacy items. I have had legacy items from the 340 crew skill missions, I recall treasure hunting and slicing which fits with these giving Artifact quality lockboxes but I think I may have also received them from the diplomacy missions which doesn't give lockboxes.

I think the force/tech miss rate question was funny. While technically you could miss with these attacks. They didn't mention the fact players start with nada defence in these categories with next to nill ways to raise it, and since accuracy starts with a force/tech hit rate of 100%. Where as the accuracy for melee/ranged is 90% and also all players start with 5% innate defence for melee/ranged, so you would need 15% (10% to bring up to 100% and a additional 5% to negate the players innate defence) to be able to have no miss with ranged/melee attacks against a character with no further defence increases. So basically force/tech are always going hit cause there is nothing counterproductive against the accuracy. Only way I can see you missing with a force/tech attack is to get a accuracy debuff on you and most of those are low enough 5-10% bonus accuracy will easily negate it and not all work on force/tech accuracy.

What I found funny about the answer to the question was will technically they got the systems in place to make it possible to miss with a force/tech attack, they don't provide the players a means to really take advantage of the system.

Edited by Destoroyah

I think the force/tech miss rate question was funny. While technically you could miss with these attacks. They didn't mention the fact players start with nada defence in these categories with next to nill ways to raise it, and since accuracy starts with a force/tech hit rate of 100%. Where as the accuracy for melee/ranged is 90% and also all players start with 5% innate defence for melee/ranged, so you would need 15% (10% to bring up to 100% and a additional 5% to negate the players innate defence) to be able to have no miss with ranged/melee attacks against a character with no further defence increases. So basically force/tech are always going hit cause there is nothing counterproductive against the accuracy. Only way I can see you missing with a force/tech attack is to get a accuracy debuff on you and most of those are low enough 5-10% bonus accuracy will easily negate it and not all work on force/tech accuracy.

What I found funny about the answer to the question was will technically they got the systems in place to make it possible to miss with a force/tech attack, they don't provide the players a means to really take advantage of the system.

Isn't internal defense the thing that protects against tech and force?

Between talents and sorc/sage buff tanks can get like... 15%ish right?

Goldenstar: Daniel Erickson mentioned in the last Q&A that social points will now be awarded for boss kills in HM FPs/OPs. What about PvPers? Are there any plans to add methods of acquiring social points to PvP?

Damion: At this time, players won’t be able to gain social points by participating in PvP.

I just find it funny in my tiny little brain that there prolly will never be any social points gained from players working with players to attack other players, as opposed to players working with players attacking npc's

I think Sith Inquisitors/Consulars start with 10% innately.

I just find it funny in my tiny little brain that there prolly will never be any social points gained from players working with players to attack other players, as opposed to players working with players attacking npc's

Yeah, that also really threw me off. I wonder how they could fix it. Give social points per match finished? Have a mini-conversation at the beginning of the WZ? That one conversation piece alone could give you 8-16 points, lol.

Edited by psi_overtake

Internal/Elemental resistance works against internal elemental attacks. Those will invariably be force or Tech but not all force and tech attacks are internal/elemental. The deal with internal/elemental is that they ignore armor.

• Dev Post

I'd like to talk a little more about how we select questions for the Q&A and what its goals are. The intent of the Community Q&A is for us to answer some specific game-related questions from the community - especially those about how something works or why we chose to make something work in a particular way. Sometimes, we can answer questions about upcoming content (when we have the information), and sometimes we'll address concerns or questions about upcoming changes (such as class changes in an update or other changes that are of interest to the community).

However, we don't use it to answer questions based on the popularity of the question - for big things that we know are very important to the community (like upcoming character transfers), we'll use standalone blogs or similar methods as soon as we have information to share instead of waiting to put it in a Q&A. We are always very aware of what the important issues are in the community, and we're dedicated to addressing those as soon as we're able, but the Community Q&A is not the venue we'll generally use to address that kind of topic. We also may not be able to answer some questions about upcoming content if we have no new details or information to share.

Thanks to everyone for your continuing participation in the Community Q&A!

Edited by AllisonBerryman

This week's was so lackluster not many even decided to post.

Yeah. I always post a question because I assume if someone has to compile them it means my question has to be read even if its not answered, but almost never bother with the Discusss the QA becuase on a normal week the answers are to questions I dont care about or so pointless they dont tell me anything.

Now I know they cant answer 10 questions on topics I might want to know. However you would expect every week at least one question and answer on something which i care about.

Still I am happy to see the Q and A thread every week as I get to post my question and hope to get an answered and that even if its not answered maybe its being thought about.

However, we don't use it to answer questions based on the popularity of the question - for big things that we know are very important to the community (like upcoming character transfers), we'll use standalone blogs or similar methods as soon as we have information to share instead of waiting to put it in a Q&A. We are always very aware of what the important issues are in the community, and we're dedicated to addressing those as soon as we're able, but the Community Q&A is not the venue we'll generally use to address that kind of topic.
Thank you for the clafification. Do chat bubbles fall under that category as well? If so, when can we expect a standalone blog about them or even a little status update and which patch to expect them in? Edited by Glzmo

I'd like to talk a little more about how we select questions for the Q&A and what its goals are. The intent of the Community Q&A is for us to answer some specific game-related questions from the community - especially those about how something works or why we chose to make something work in a particular way. Sometimes, we can answer questions about upcoming content (when we have the information), and sometimes we'll address concerns or questions about upcoming changes (such as class changes in an update or other changes that are of interest to the community).

However, we don't use it to answer questions based on the popularity of the question - for big things that we know are very important to the community (like upcoming character transfers), we'll use standalone blogs or similar methods as soon as we have information to share instead of waiting to put it in a Q&A. We are always very aware of what the important issues are in the community, and we're dedicated to addressing those as soon as we're able, but the Community Q&A is not the venue we'll generally use to address that kind of topic. We also may not be able to answer some questions about upcoming content if we have no new details or information to share.

Thanks to everyone for your continuing participation in the Community Q&A!

I'd imagine that the open-world PvP revamp would fall under the category of "standalone blogs", but really, any kind of crumb, at this point, would be seriously appreciated.

To my understanding energy, kinetic, internal, and elemental is the damage type dealt that which facters in whether or not your armor will be used against it and which damage redustion value is used. Also elemental/internal bypass armor to my knowledge as armor doesn't increase your internal and elemental damage reduction and only increases your kinetic and energy damage reductions.

Where as ranged, melee, force, and tech are the type of attack your doing so they can factor in what defense type is used to deflect or be the first line of mitigation in the case melee/ranged for shielding. Also as a sidenote defence rating doesn't increase force/tech defence.

So basically you could have a melee/internal attack that can be deflected and uses your internal damage reduction(bypass armor).

Then you could have a tech/kinetic that can't be deflected or shielded , but will use your armor for the kinetic damage reduction.

Finally you can have a Force/Elemental attack that will bypass deflection and shielding and will bypass armor only using you elemental damage reduction. This is one of the reasons pyrotech powertechs are so potent is cause they use mostly tech attacks and many of their attacks are elemental based.

So there is a difference between force/tech and internal/elemental. And the general point I was making in my previous post is the total lack of means to raise your force/tech defence as to my knowledge there is no talent or ability that raises it. So while they were technically correct in that you could defend one of these attacks cause the system is inplace to do so, in reality your likely to never see it happen cause of lack of values added those areas.

I'd imagine that the open-world PvP revamp would fall under the category of "standalone blogs", but really, any kind of crumb, at this point, would be seriously appreciated.

Considering how much you defend this game they should VIP fly you to Austin and answer to every each question you have!

P.S.: totally agree on the world PvP part so far it feels like the Sarlacc...

Edited by Deewe

I have some questions about some things about IN-Game guild options and the Forums

1 I need to up date my forums account to reflect my in game toon at some point is there going to be an option to change my avatars name with out messing up my account.

2 We need to have an option for guild leaders that tells Guild leaders when someone became a member of the guild, I have a PvP guild with over 200+ members and before the server migrations i did not have an option to see when someone became a member of the guild and this will help with ranks and understanding the guild members a little better.

3 will there be an option to add tax to a guild soon The guild bank is so high I just don't want to fork over almost 12 mil in creds in progression for my guild to use and i get no return

4 PLEASE ADD BAGS TO THE GAME :rak_01: