Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How hard IS HM Lost Island?

Lord_Allen
06.11.2012 , 12:34 AM | #21
While discussing and reading this topic, I have done HM LI multiple times with multiple people and classes. I've tanked it, which is probably the easiest imo, i've done dps. and i've tried healing.

all my toons have 100% full rakata and a few Black Hole pieces.

My healer is an operative, and on the second boss idk if its just over power for ops heals or what because i can never heal threw that, and ive healed solo EV, and healed KP and HM EV and HMKP and REALLY TOUGH WZ's. One thing i've notice which i believe is unfair is that seems like the only one's who can heal threw the second boss are sage's or sorc. They have their bubbles and their AoE heal is ALOT better. My HoTs (heals over times) and great just not that great for that boss.

If YOU are an operative or a smug healer that has healed threw that boss a few times, PLEASE let me know how you did it.

the_jaybe
06.11.2012 , 03:01 AM | #22
Guided Speedkill Vid of HM LI with 2 Sentinel DDs, a Sage Healer and a Vanguard Tank.

http://swtormovies.com/movieview.php?id=3681

Aetou
06.11.2012 , 04:09 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Allen View Post
My healer is an operative, and on the second boss idk if its just over power for ops heals or what because i can never heal threw that, and ive healed solo EV, and healed KP and HM EV and HMKP and REALLY TOUGH WZ's. One thing i've notice which i believe is unfair is that seems like the only one's who can heal threw the second boss are sage's or sorc. They have their bubbles and their AoE heal is ALOT better. My HoTs (heals over times) and great just not that great for that boss.

If YOU are an operative or a smug healer that has healed threw that boss a few times, PLEASE let me know how you did it.
Which boss do you mean? LR-5 is the second boss if you count the mini-bosses (like the Putrid Shaclaw) or Sav-rak is if you don't count them. Of the two, Sav-rak is considered the hardest for the healer while I have more issues with the first (depending on the group.)

In general, though, I'd say that we actually have an easier time on Sav-rak than Sages as we can apply Kolto Cloud after the smashes and then everyone can run back and still benefit. I mostly use the pretty standard approach of UWM-EMP while double stacking SRMP on the boss and then saving KC for after the smashes. I'll also throw out SRMPs onto other people if I'm moving and don't have spare UHs, while using diagnostic scan on the tank to rebuild energy as needed.

LR-5 is trickier but very group dependent. The main issue is making sure everyone avoids as much damage as possible, keeping double SRMP on the tank, catching as many people as you can with KC whenever it is available and then the good old UWM-EMP whenever you get a chance to stay still (combined with cleanses and SRMP whenever you are on the move.)

schnopsnosn
06.11.2012 , 04:44 AM | #24
Ok so I've recently pushed my Marauder to 50.
Was in 50 blues/purples, other DPS was a Merc in half Columi and half Rakata.
Tank was a Jugg with Rakata, Had a Sorc-heal with re-modded Rakata.

I've also breezed through this with my Sorc-DPS.

The only problem with this should be your tank if he's not situationally aware enough and for example keeps the droid between the starting platform and the outer ring after the initial pull so I'd have to stand either in the fire, stop damage for a long amount of time or eat incinerate and possibly die.

Oggthebase
06.11.2012 , 04:52 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Allen View Post
I completed LI as tank (rakata/black hole), sniper (columni/rakata) and operative (tionese/columni). With my tank and sniper I've successfully pugged it (with my sniper for the first time yesterday, we spent 2 + 4 hours in there. It was difficult as the group had never gone past the first boss before).

It's really nice to find the people with the same mindset at problem solving and willing to go through endless wipes to learn the correct positionning and how to deal with each mechanics. What a sense of accomplishment when doctor Lorik finally went down, or even after each boss went down we were all "yahhooo yeah baby". And the tank was so proud being able to finally figure out how to avoid Lorik's sticky bombs.

As an operative healer, I completed LI HM with my guild. The juggernaut tank was mostly rakata, and we had a sorcerer and a marauder in a mix of columni/rakata. Since we did not have our usual guild healers online, I went in with my operative (who has the 2 piece set bonus)

it is true that sav-rak is very intensive healing wise, but the group positioning will help reduce the damage intake.
- every one should be spread out to avoid the rot debuff to spread.
- when packing for the smash, the group should try to be in the boss hitbox, but still opposite to the tank, so that the bump will split the tank away from the group. The reason is that when you land everyone is stunned for half a second and during that time, the boss can cleave everyone near the tank. So ideally, you should make it so that the bump sends you flying away from your tank to avoid the cleave. Every damage avoided will help the healer.

Now specifically as an operative healer:
- I only used the aoe heal when we regrouped for the smash, as we were mostly spread out
- I kept the probes (hot) on the tank
- what I found intensive was the pipe phase, and tried to regen during the ground phase (using the scan on the tank)
- the combat ended with everyone at 50% or less and me almost out of energy, my feeling is that if the combat had gone through one more pipe phase we would have wiped.

It is possible also that with a skilled group, the combat went faster, making it easier for the healer too. I do not claim to be a very good operative healer, but I just wanted to tell you that yes, it possible to heal through the second boss as an operative. Your group must help you minimize the damage.

Nolenthar
06.11.2012 , 07:50 AM | #26
LI HM is more demanding for the tank who needs to be semi-decent to know what he is doing. The second boss (droid) will require your group to be somehow organized. But if your tank is good, and your interrupt capability is ok, it will be a breath. And don't believe those thinking range dps are needed, they make things harder rather than easier.

All other bosses apart from last one are a breath.

Again, the last boss is about movement as a team, avoiding area damage and bombs thrown by the boss. If executed properly, definitely doable.

DPS wise the instance is quite generous. Definitely doable by a good team in Tionese/Columi gear as long as the DPS know how to dps.

It's a matter of your game level though. LI is definitely the hardest FP in the game, not extra demanding compared to other game around, but definitely more than any FP.
Kao'celaar Ildorii, Juyo Master, Mystical Awakening

jasonthelamb
06.11.2012 , 08:00 AM | #27
Hard Most Lost Island is essentially useless unless you're starving for Black Hole comms... it drops a chestpiece that is easily obtained by doing EV HM

oredith
06.11.2012 , 09:43 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by jasonthelamb View Post
Hard Most Lost Island is essentially useless unless you're starving for Black Hole comms... it drops a chestpiece that is easily obtained by doing EV HM
easily obtained, but on a 1 week lockout.

pretty big thing people keep forgetting, when comparing LI to an op.

maybe people should consider LI HM to be bioware's answer to the people asking for 2 man HM FP, or 4 man ops.

yes, the initial learning runs will take a while, but think back on how long it took to learn EV/KP, probably not too far from the 3.5 most people spend in LI the first time.

LI HM takes 25-30 minutes once you know the place and can run it straight through without wiping.
(╯□)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

YeknomStun
06.11.2012 , 09:51 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by ImmortalAlien View Post
It's mechanic heavy. Know the mechanics and coordinate with the team well and Lost Island will be moderately challenging at worst.

Go in ignorant of the mechanics and not coordinating the team and you will be lucky to get past the first real boss.
This. You really can't ignore or power through the mechanics, it's all about execution.