Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

There is no death, there is only Wrath

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
There is no death, there is only Wrath

bright_ephemera
06.10.2012 , 12:45 AM | #21
Before we start, the dust-bunny competition inspired images of what I imagine was a much earlier couch-tossing day, in which, say, Pierce got a good dust bunny contender while searching for Vette’s remote. (The top five dust bunnies, by the way, are displayed in a case in the cargo hold.)

And so Pierce walked into the holo room cradling the mass of hair and dust. “Take a look at this. Believe I’m taking first place with this one.”

Broonmark looked over from where he had been picking through a crate of stuff. The Talz stretched and then ran his claws over his back, around his shoulders, and down his arms, mashing the two resulting masses together into one furball that dwarfed Pierce’s item. “Bllolorp.”

Nalenne giggled. “You know that doesn’t qualify, Broonmark.”

The Talz growled. The low menacing sound needed no translation. Then: “Sith clan unfairly excludes us from the great hunt.”

13. In which the crew discusses life after death and also pop music (I/II)

The Nexus Cantina’s a place
That can mix every species and race.
Though conservatives may
View the place with dismay,
It’s a scene some are glad to embrace.

"I never believed in an afterlife," said Quinn to nobody in particular.

Pierce looked up from his supper and snorted. "Neither did I. But I'm faster to question the great beyond than I am to question milord's word when she says she offed you, so, there you have it."

"It is known that the hunting grounds beyond the white veil are endless and beautiful, with eternal glorious battle, but no Talz has ever returned to give us word. The clan passes through the veil but once, and so we must trust that the words of our ancestors are true to the mystery, and face it ourselves without fear. If Sith clan's dumbest one has returned, surely the veil itself has rejected him and denied him the killing frenzy that true warriors are granted," said Broonmark.

"Anybody catch that?" said Vette.

Nalenne shook her head. "I got hunting, death, battle, death, death, terror, my weak stupid prey, death, killing, battle. I'm missing a bunch of stuff in between."

"Sith clan makes progress in understanding," buzzed Broonmark affectionately.

"Aw," said Nalenne, who had learned to recognize his few encouraging statements long ago.

Vette looked dubiously at the Talz. "He's pretty focused with the vocab lessons, huh?"

Nalenne shrugged. "We talk about what we have in common."

Jaesa leaned forward. "I’ve been doing some reading, but I simply can't find documentation of after-death appearances from non-Force users except in the case of catastrophically huge Force disturbances."

"I didn't Force choke him that hard."

Quinn frowned and opened his mouth, but closed it again without saying anything.

"I would hope not, master. I'll keep looking, but it's very hard to find a starting point for an investigation."

Nalenne scarfed down the last of her meal. "Good to know. Let's do some talking about not-Quinn. Anything good on the concert circuit back on Dromund Kaas? Vette?"

"You told me - let me recall your exact phrasing - 'Tubby Stripes and the Yowlcats' isn't acceptable, even though the Cath Attack – which is what they’re actually called – their music is fine - "

"They sound like mankas in heat."

"Every pop act rimward of Taris does that nowadays."

"Every pop act rimward of Taris is stupid and wrong. Next suggestion?"

"Green Nebula's up at the Nexus Room in a couple of days."

"Green Nebula. That mixed-species band with the Nautolan frontman?"

"The one you think is totally hot? Yeah."

"I do not think Leb Gesheel is hot."

"You remembered his name? I thought you ‘just happened to overhear’ one ‘tolerably okay’ song of theirs once."

"That doesn't change the fact that I never said he's hot."

"You were thinking it. You're thinking it right now. And last time we walked by a shop that was playing that single with his big vocal solo, your eyes practically rolled back in your head."

Quinn frowned and opened his mouth, but closed it again without saying anything.

"I'm sensing we should buy tickets," rumbled Pierce. He was grinning. Evilly.

"What," snapped Nalenne, "one for watching the band and then two for watching me?"

"Three," blipped Broonmark.

"Shut up," said Nalenne.

"I think it's healthy," said Jaesa. "You know you haven't really...since...I mean..."

Vette threw up her hands. "What she means is, you haven't kept more than two seconds’ eye contact with a man you weren’t killing ever since Quinn over here kicked it. - And, Quinny, let’s not kid ourselves, you're off the market now.”

Quinn struggled to remain expressionless. “Did you just call me ‘Quinny’?”

“Yup. You gonna stop me?”

“My lord….”

Nalenne felt a small rush of malicious glee. “You’re on your own now, captain.”

Vette pressed on. “Come on, Nalenne. With your name to throw around I can snag us front-row seats for all the eye contact you can handle. Ooh, and maybe backstage passes..."

"I don't want to see Green Nebula."

"Shoulda thought of that earlier."

Nalenne fled.

Broonmark watched her go, his four eyes winking in a thoughtful pattern. "Sad. Sith clan’s dumbest does not want to move from clan chief’s favored side. Clan chief does not want to move on from clan’s dumbest. But time and battle move on. Always they move on. We would gladly kill a thousand thousand creatures if it could help."

"Huh?" said Vette.

Broonmark shrugged. "Brrrrlb."
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

bright_ephemera
06.10.2012 , 01:10 AM | #22
Double post tonight!

14. In which Jaesa observes the crew (II/II)

There’s risk in a Sith Lord, er, ride;
Faint of heart? You should leave it untried.
When planning protection
Don’t fear the infection –
Fear who’s going to wake at your side.

One AM. Jaesa woke up to hear Pierce and Broonmark returning to the ship, chattering and laughing. Pierce, she noted, had an impressive bass singing voice.

Three AM. Jaesa woke up to hear an individual banging onto the ship and bumping from wall to wall on the way to Nalenne's room. Meanwhile, Pierce still had a great singing voice.

Six AM. Jaesa woke up to hear Vette knock something over in the holo room, but otherwise stealthily sneak back to her quarters.

Nine AM. Jaesa got up for breakfast. Vette was already in the mess, nursing something that appeared to involve both citrus fruit and Tarisian bloodglobes. And salt. And a weedy-looking garnish Jaesa couldn't even identify.

"Morning," said Vette. She was halfway bright-eyed despite the sleep and booze and whatever else of the night before.

"Enjoy yourself?" said Jaesa.

"The plan backfired." Vette smiled dreamily. "Leb reeeeaallly liked me, though."

"You actually...?"

"Oh, yeah. Heh. The backstage chat went great. Couldn't really get him stuck on Nalenne, but the drummer stepped up to the task."

"You took the guy Nalenne's into and left her with the drummer?"

"I don't think she could tell the difference at that point. We were both pretty drunk."

Pierce padded into the mess. "Morning. The Wrath's cryin' again. You can hear it from the holo room."

Vette looked suddenly guilty. "Wait, you think she did notice?"

Pierce folded his arms across his chest. "She going to keep doing this every time she gets laid? Seems to defeat the point, if you ask me."

"She's making progress. There was actual eye contact this time," said Vette. "Small steps.”

Jaesa stood up. "Maybe I should...."

"Sit. Down." said Vette. "We give her some time, we get her some ice cream, we find a hotter guy to try again with later."

"Ice cream I can get," said Pierce, heading toward the door.

"You rock," said Vette.

"Anything for the boss," said Pierce.

At some point Broonmark had come to listen outside the mess door. The Talz moved aside to let Pierce through, then blipped something and turned to go himself.

"Hold," said Vette. "If that was 'I'm going to kill the drummer,' don't."

Broonmark slumped and gurgled sullenly.

"He didn’t do anything wrong. She’ll be fine," said Vette.

Quinn sidled into the room. "Vette, Jaesa, I have not been breaking the no-eavesdropping policy, but…you can hear the Wrath sobbing from here. What happened?"

"The interesting people went out to that concert we mentioned," said Vette. "A good time, fun was had by all, especially what's-his-name the Nebula drummer and our good friend the Wrath, now she's doing her traditional morning-after thing."

"She never had hysterical morning-after breakdowns with...that is, I don't see how you can call it 'traditional.'"

"Funny you should say that. Before she met you she was fine. A crazed evil Sith, but a happy one. And with you I never had to step in. But since then? She is a wreck, and a boring one at that.” Vette’s pale blue eyes caught fire. “I've known her longer than you have, captain, and now that you're back I can safely say that you are the worst thing that ever happened to her. Twice. So you will just stay out of sight today. And possibly tomorrow, too."

"I don’t take orders from you,” he said stiffly.

Vette glared up at him. "Name one way you could possibly improve Nalenne's love life right now."

Quinn hesitated. "I...could stay out of her sight today," he said slowly. "And possibly tomorrow, too."

"That's what I thought."

Jaesa watched him retreat. "You're good at this," she told Vette.

"I know. Nalenne’s an arrogant shallow psychopath, but I like to make sure she’s all right. She grows on you, you know?"

"I know. And it's better when we're looking out for each other."

"Well. Traffic control accomplished. Make sure Broonmark doesn’t sneak off the ship, okay? I’m going back to sleep.”
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

iamthehoyden
06.10.2012 , 07:59 AM | #23
Bright, as long as you want to keep writing these, I'll keep reading. Quinny - too funny! And although I've heard nothing but bad things about Broonmark when I actually level my baby sw I'm probably going to have your version in mind when I get him and it'll all be good lol.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Adwynyth
06.10.2012 , 08:43 AM | #24
Yes! Yes! Keep going...I love it so far.

MilaniGrey
06.10.2012 , 08:46 AM | #25
Yeah. I've been reading all these SW fan fictions and I'm starting to actually write out the canon of my SW on paper. You guys are ruining me, here. :P
The Islingr LegacyShatter the Darkness
Astaron, Narithia, Xalkory, Áilleacht
The Ebon Hawk Server
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
06.10.2012 , 09:07 AM | #26
I'm glad you enjoy!

Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
And although I've heard nothing but bad things about Broonmark when I actually level my baby sw I'm probably going to have your version in mind when I get him and it'll all be good lol.
Broonmark is a walking possibility fountain exactly because he's such a non-character. He's a Talz who likes killing everything. His Codex entry elaborates: He likes killing everything even more than most Talz like killing everything. He thinks betrayal should be met with death, which may seem like a good character handle until you recall that he thinks just about everything should be met with death. All other aspects of Broonmark? Blank slate. Draw what you will, if you think he's worth the effort. I hated him when I played through my Warrior, but I think exploring this mental image will help me like him more when my next Warrior comes to town.

Quote: Originally Posted by MilaniGrey View Post
Yeah. I've been reading all these SW fan fictions and I'm starting to actually right out the canon of my SW on paper. You guys are ruining me, here. :P
I find it interesting how much fanfic centers on the Sith Warrior. Check out the forum index and you'll see what I mean. This specific crew really, really gets people up and writing. I love it.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
06.10.2012 , 09:08 AM | #27
15. In which Nalenne reads comics and Jaesa expresses concern

Redemption’s a difficult run,
Rarely wanted, and more rarely won.
Though the virtuous path
Beckons even the Wrath,
Perdition’s just too damn much fun.

Czex Lerka stood at the top of the fictional Lerka Tower, looking down at the colossal Senate building on Coruscant. He held a half-filled champagne flute in one hand. He spoke to the planet in general and the hulking Mook One in particular: "Soon they'll call their session and rezone Sector Alpha-Zeta Nine...and Lerka Corporation will be entirely free to mash the whole Domo cluster together into one great superreactor!"

Mook One scratched his head and looked worried. This was his primary function in the franchise. "But the Domo cluster has three trillion civilian inhabitants, Mister Lerka."

"In a type 13D reclamation zone, there are no civilian inhabitants." Czex gestured down at the Senate building. "Hence the zoning amendment. Soon it'll be nothing but megafusion and profit."

"In the Empire," Nalenne muttered to herself, "he would've had this whole thing running months ago. That bureaucratic glacier of theirs is the only thing giving Ultraguy time to save anybody." Such were the plot difficulties of the Coruscant Comics universe. It was sad, really.

"Master?"

Nalenne set down the bootleg-loaded datapad. "Come in, Jaesa."

The young Jedi entered Nalenne's quarters and settled at the foot of the bed. Nalenne herself didn't move from her curled-up half-submersion in a pile of pillows up at the headboard.

"What's on your mind?" prompted Nalenne, because Jaesa would sit there all pretty and doe-eyed and expectant all day if not invited to speak.

"It's about Captain Quinn. Is he okay?"

"No. He's dead."

"He won't talk to me. Pierce is excessively hostile to him, and I think Broonmark is, too, though it's hard to tell since I can't make out what he's saying. And Vette has started the cruellest speeches..."

"Ooh, that I'll have to hear."

"Master!"

"What?"

"Hasn't it occurred to you that he's probably in a lot of pain?"

"Hasn't it occurred to you that he deserves it?"

“You’re awful, you know that? You weren't like this when I met you."

"I was coming off a virtuous high when you met me. You showed up too late to stop my plunge into glorious cruelty."

"There is still light in you."

"Not listening."

"Also I need some credits."

"Has it ever occurred to you I might be more generous with your allowance if you didn't always make me angry first?"

"Has it ever occurred to you that I want to at least try to talk about the important things first?"

"Has it ever occurred to you that you're a complete nitwit?"

"Look who's talking, Darth 'Maybe if I'm mean enough he'll go away'! Because that approach has worked for you so damn well that he came back from the dead to keep giving you the grief you deserve!"

Nalenne grinned. "I love making you mad, Jedi."

Jaesa frowned, which on that pretty baby face was nothing short of adorable. "Tell me you're okay, at least."

"I’m worried. But we’ll sort it out."

"If you need anything, you know I'm here."

"I know. You're like a sister to me, Jaesa. Apart from where you're not a dark master bent on killing me or setting me up with some stranger."

"And you're like some twisted sister-master-bully to me, Nalenne."

"That's the spirit. How many credits?"

"Ten thou'. There's this shelter I ran into on Nar Shaddaa that's distributing - "

"Don't care about the charity, hon, I'm just glad you're finding strategically irrelevant outlets for your kindness. Consider the transfer done."

"Thanks. There's a little decency in you after all. Just...could you try to get everyone to ease up on Quinn?"

"Don't push it."
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

Inzuher
06.10.2012 , 12:38 PM | #28
Subscripted.
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night, and silences the light.".

bright_ephemera
06.10.2012 , 04:09 PM | #29
16. In which we remember why it didn’t work out and a fight starts

Relationships comfortably rest
When never quite put to the test.
To view it too clearly
Or talk too sincerely
May shatter what’s fragile at best.

Nalenne poked her head into the bridge. Ghost-Quinn was right back where he used to be, or rather one seat over while 2V-R8 sat at the console typing for him.

It was pleasant, seeing him at his old station. “You really are addicted to the information,” she said.

He turned without standing. “My lord. The war never rests.”

“2V is working out for you?”

“Oh, master,” said 2V, “I am honored to have this responsibility, and will discharge my duties in – “

“Shut up,” said Nalenne. “I’m talking to Quinn.”

“He is acceptable,” said Quinn. “Miserably slow at the controls, but he suffices as my surrogate hands.”

“You’ll tell me if interesting work comes up, right?”

He raised his eyebrows. “You work these days, my lord?” he said mildly.

“Don’t take that tone with me. You know I’m always up for a challenge.”

“I know you’ve been wasting your time with comic books and any insignificant brawl that takes place sufficiently near a comfortable hotel room. I know you’ve been using the Hand’s silence as an excuse to slide into absolute sloth while critical battles rage – “

“Whoa, stop there. Where is this coming from? Have you just been sitting around judging me and my friends while you pine for lost relevance?”

“I have been observing. You don’t have friends on this ship, apart from perhaps the beast.”

Classic bloody form. Quinn in a bad mood was a bastard. “That’d be one more friend than you’ve had in your life, preacher. I can’t believe I ever put up with this.”

“I can’t believe you managed to put forth the effort to meet my minimum standard.” Annoyance highlighted his arrogance in an awfully attractive way. “What a struggle that must have been. Seeing how quickly you dropped the pretense after you realized you couldn’t get me back into bed was most illuminating.”

“You think I ever upped my game for you? Don’t flatter yourself.”

Vette ran onto the bridge and skidded to a halt. “Hey, I hate to interrupt the relationship drama, but we’ve got a wing of Republic fighters coming in hot.”

“There’s no relationship drama going on,” said Nalenne.

“That’s another thing,” said Quinn. “You lie habitually.”

Vette scanned the room. “I’m gonna go ahead and guess that you can’t talk 2V through your old job here, Quinny, so I’m thinking one of us has to – “

Pierce pounded in from the bridge corridor. “Milord. You an’ Vette will have to take the turrets.” He slid into the pilot’s chair. “Let’s see if I remember how this goes.”

“You definitely remember how it goes,” ordered Nalenne nervously.

Quinn sneered. “If you make this a suicide run I will laugh, lieutenant.”

“Ha. Nalenne goes up, you won’t be laughing. I’m willing to bet you die with her. For good.” Pierce flicked a couple of switches, prepping the Helicarrier’s shields. “One of the few prices I wouldn’t pay to see you gone. Lucky you.”

“You couldn’t kill my lord if you tried,” said Quinn.

Pierce and Nalenne exchanged looks. “No, I think I/he could,” they said in unison.

“My lord! If I was unable to….”

“Oh, you want to start?” said Nalenne. “For one thing Pierce isn’t limited by your textbook tactics. For another he doesn’t have the suicidal need to be physically present to monologue before a kill.”

“You only think that’s good because you lack the capacity to comprehend –“

“His traps don’t fire pew-pew blasters, they destroy whole city blocks. Killing a Sith? He could do it, no droids required. Resourceful. Fearless. Cunning.”

“The lady knows a pro when she sees one,” muttered Pierce with a small dark grin.

“I’m resourceful, fearless, and cunning!” said Quinn.

“And dead,” said Nalenne. “He’s still light years ahead of you for killing power.”

“If that intellectual brick is your ideal, why didn’t you -“

Vette waved her arms. “Guys! Fighters? Go boom? Bad?”

“Right,” squeaked Nalenne, and left one smokingly angry Quinn behind while she ran to one of the gun turrets. She checked the dusty controls to make sure everything was in order, then scanned the sky for hostiles. It had been a while. But everyone on board knew that the dogfights were guaranteed to start back up sometime.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

iamthehoyden
06.10.2012 , 08:08 PM | #30
I wants to know what happens next!! (Thank you for being prolific lol)
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box