Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, so my friends and I will be unsubscribing then.

That's worse than useless.

We don't WANT to stay on an RP server. We consider it the biggest mistake we've made in our collective history of MMO gaming.

So when are you going to release actual server transfers, rather than this pointless half-measure?

Oh look, blaming Bioware for something that wasn't their fault. QQ, QQ

The answer is: You can pay for it after they merge servers (which is really what this first stage of transfers is - voluntary server merging)

We don't WANT to stay on an RP server. We consider it the biggest mistake we've made in our collective history of MMO gaming.

Please see my previous post :p

Some people don't understand... that these transfers are for people currently playing on a dead server.

You re-rolled? Sorry.

You want a different TYPE of server? Sorry.

You've got multiple characters on a dead server and you'd like to move? Here's a new one.

I have a feeling that even this level of transfers is a tremendous undertaking.. but people seem to expect insta guild transfers, are upset NOW that their Fatman characters won't be able to be consolidated with their old servers characters, or OMG I want to be on a PvP server now... it's not meant to fix deliberate actions done by the player it's meant to stablize the current population.

In the future I'm sure doing some of those things may be options for a little $, but as of this moment, they're putting out a very large fire and to expect them to cater to your every transfering desire just isn't realistic.

Transfers at the moment are not about correcting your mistakes.

This. Its why I'm okay with this setup. They really are trying to create a small set of HEAVY pop servers.

That is what we ultimately want, isn't it?

I am all for the huge servers but not allowing guilds to move as one is a huge mistake......we are not all single players here.

At least you can admit it was your mistake. Now, you can probably understand why they won't cater to your finicky desires. And knowing is half the battle. ;)

I am all for the huge servers but not allowing guilds to move as one is a huge mistake......we are not all single players here.

I actually agree with you on this point. I am somewhat surprised they cant move guilds, when you consider they moved them from website data to open this game!

edit: still, my guild will manage. They've said they won't be altering destination servers once they start the moves, so stragglers shouldn't have much difficulty finding and transferring to where my guild will be moving to.

Edited by islander

I actually agree with you on this point. I am somewhat surprised they cant move guilds, when you consider they moved them from website data to open this game!

Also they can move whole guilds onto the PTS but not for these transfers.......

We have friends on non-RP servers we want to play with, and playing with them in 1.3 was our sole motivation for continuing. We're bored of Flashpoints, the quality of PVE players on RP servers is atrocious (so getting a stable Ops group of people we can coexist with and/or count on has proven impossible), the quality of PVP players on RP servers is also painfully low, and our hope to rekindle our interest was being able to gather a disparate group of friends from across server types.

So when are you going to release actual server transfers, rather than this pointless half-measure?

If you have friends on non-RP servers, re-roll to them. Nobody's stopping you. YOU picked to play on an RP server, and YOUR FRIENDS picked to play on something else. Those're your own faults. So either re-roll or wait for paid transfers. The current transfer is to address a 100% completely separate issue than yours. No oh-woe-as-me argument is going to get special treatment.

Edited by psi_overtake

You'll all have to transfer to the same server. I don't see why it's such a huge deal tbh. Any guild that isn't dead won't have too hard a time getting their members to coordinate moving to the only available option I wouldn't think.

Not to mention if they DID try to do what you're suggesting we probably wouldn't get transfers this year.

I guess the populations are such that they can't simply merge servers, but rather individuals must elect to transfer their characters themselves? Because I would think that automatically merging servers of the same type would be better. Edited by MorgonKara

If you have friends on non-RP servers, re-roll to them. Nobody's stopping you. YOU picked to play on an RP server, and YOUR FRIENDS picked to play on something else. Those're your own faults. So either re-roll or wait for paid transfers. The current transfer is to address a 100% completely separate issue than yours. No oh-woe-as-me argument is going to get special treatment.

If they didn't make such a point of the Legacy system, that would be a tenable option.

But the meat of 1.2 was making it worthwhile to create alts, and giving you measurable benefits beyond merely having multiple characters.

Rerolling on a new server type invalidates all that time and effort.

And most of the friends we've figured out are playing on other server types are players we didn't realize were planning to play at all when we started. We figured it out after the fact, and long enough after that none of us wanted to start over, assuming that server transfers would be coming.

That's why I'm beefing.

If there was no Legacy system, rerolling wouldn't be a problem.

You'll all have to transfer to the same server. I don't see why it's such a huge deal tbh. Any guild that isn't dead won't have too hard a time getting their members to coordinate moving to the only available option I wouldn't think.

Not to mention if they DID try to do what you're suggesting we probably wouldn't get transfers this year.

The big deal is they don't get to chose, they don't move together. IF the destination becomes full and they swap to a new destinition and only half the guild's characters have been transfered then the other half goes somewhere else. Thus destroying their guild and making them having to wait to "pay".

Bioware is not handling this correctly everyone should be getting a free 1 time transfer with the first ROUND only being dead server mergers. This is all they've promised us..the rest is pay or leave.

The big deal is they don't get to chose, they don't move together. IF the destination becomes full and they swap to a new destinition and only half the guild's characters have been transfered then the other half goes somewhere else. Thus destroying their guild and making them having to wait to "pay".

Bioware is not handling this correctly everyone should be getting a free 1 time transfer with the first ROUND only being dead server mergers. This is all they've promised us..the rest is pay or leave.

They've stated many times that won't happen. Guilds will NOT be split up. It's a non-issue.

If they didn't make such a point of the Legacy system, that would be a tenable option.

But the meat of 1.2 was making it worthwhile to create alts, and giving you measurable benefits beyond merely having multiple characters.

Rerolling on a new server type invalidates all that time and effort.

And most of the friends we've figured out are playing on other server types are players we didn't realize were planning to play at all when we started. We figured it out after the fact, and long enough after that none of us wanted to start over, assuming that server transfers would be coming.

That's why I'm beefing.

If there was no Legacy system, rerolling wouldn't be a problem.

looks like you're beefing up the wrong tree bro. these transfers are an emergency population patch. if you made toons on the wrong server-type your just gonna have to suck it up and re-roll.

They did it on the PTS.......i don't see any reason why they can't do it here....

The main issue is the admin work for the guilds to sort out...it can be done at a cost of time and effort yes...but bioware supported guilds from day one and now it feels like were being left to pick up and finish a job that they should have done right in the first place....not to mention that there is a chance that not everyone will get onto the server and god forbid anyone takes a holiday and miss the transfer window.

Worked my backside off to keep our guild alive and i don't want to see these transfers pull apart over 12 months of work........

I'm a guild master of a fairly large guild.

I do not believe this will be an issue. Not for a couple months.

See, there's a reason BW is controlling all of this. They are using their own calculations to figure this stuff out.

Of course, their formula could be badly wrong, but it's pretty safe to assume that the vast majority of people eligible to transfer will take advantage of it. I really don't think this will be an issue for at least a couple months, if at all. If you look at pages 2-3 I was a huge, huge skeptic ringing this guild splitting up bell. I'm now convinced this will simply not be the case.

They've stated many times that won't happen. Guilds will NOT be split up. It's a non-issue.

No they did not..infact they said guilds are NOT beign transfered together they will have to "reform" their guild and apply to have their bank moved seperately. This reeks of chances you get screwed transfering.

I'm a guild master of a fairly large guild.

I do not believe this will be an issue. Not for a couple months.

See, there's a reason BW is controlling all of this. They are using their own calculations to figure this stuff out.

Of course, their formula could be badly wrong, but it's pretty safe to assume that the vast majority of people eligible to transfer will take advantage of it. I really don't think this will be an issue for at least a couple months, if at all. If you look at pages 2-3 I was a huge, huge skeptic ringing this guild splitting up bell. I'm now convinced this will simply not be the case.

Here's my issue with the whole "calculations" thing...Its already proven to not take into account the human reaction factor..and its more than once bit them in the rear end. Its doing it again. Mathematicians can't calculate the human factor. We're not calculations. We're fraking people.

Edited by Kindara

The only question/suggestion that I have Is why doesn't the guild bank move with the guild leader when they transfer? GM has unlimited access anyway, so if they wanted to ninja it they could anyway. I don't understand the reasoning behind needing to put a ticket in for the guild bank.

Also do we need to move all items out of the guild bank before the move and the ticket will only revive the slots the guild has purchased or will the ticket move all items and money from one guild bank to the new server?

There will be a full FAQ published on Tuesday to answer most of your questions, but I wanted to go ahead and answer these two.

1. Due to a variety of factors (including the naming and re-naming process after transferring characters), this was deemed to be the most efficient method in assuring that Guilds retain their Guild Banks on the new server.

2. Yes, you will have to:

• Remove all items & credits from the Guild Bank.
  • Disband the Guild.
  • Transfer to the new server and reform the Guild.
  • Contact Customer Service to re-establish the Guild Bank and Guild Bank tabs.

Hopefully that answers your question.

No they did not..infact they said guilds are NOT beign transfered together they will have to "reform" their guild and apply to have their bank moved seperately. This reeks of chances you get screwed transfering.

You're right guilds will not be transferred together in one chunk. But, they will be sent to the same server. They will NOT be split up. Even if the destination server is "full" they will keep your guild together.

You're right guilds will not be transferred together in one chunk. But, they will be sent to the same server. They will NOT be split up. Even if the destination server is "full" they will keep your guild together.

Read everythign they said if the destination gets full the destination will be changed. If you don't get transfered at the EXACT same time as your guild mates you will NOT be on the server with them. Read the above post it pretty much says it.

You can get F'd over by this move.

Here I'll show this to you in their own words. Ready Line Number 2 "disband" its very telling.

There will be a full FAQ published on Tuesday to answer most of your questions, but I wanted to go ahead and answer these two.

1. Due to a variety of factors (including the naming and re-naming process after transferring characters), this was deemed to be the most efficient method in assuring that Guilds retain their Guild Banks on the new server.

• Disband the Guild.

Edited by Kindara

• Disband the Guild.

No offence joveth but it seems were having to work even harder becuase all guild support is being pulled....

Why can't the same system be used from the PTS? you had no issues copying my guild over to that all at once..

• Disband the Guild.

Two more questions based on this information;

1) Why do you hate us and want us to quit?

2) Will you ever do anything right?

:csw_trooper:My Step son and a few friends joined Star Wars late and were ineligible for the free transfer to an Asia/Pacific server, at the time The Jekk’Jekk Tarr and The Harbinger were unofficial Australian servers so he went there, my question (or His).

With the new server Transfers coming on June 12th will he be able to join me and his mother on Dalborra as there are now official Asia/Pacific servers? :csw_fett: