Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MorgonKara's Avatar


MorgonKara
06.07.2012 , 04:59 PM | #1111
I guess the populations are such that they can't simply merge servers, but rather individuals must elect to transfer their characters themselves? Because I would think that automatically merging servers of the same type would be better.
Armormech-Armstech-Chemist-Mor-gon-M'orgon-Maxxi
Armormech-Armstech-Biochem-Artifice-Synthweaving-Cybertech
The Craft Legacy ~The Ebon Hawk

Omophorus's Avatar


Omophorus
06.07.2012 , 05:00 PM | #1112
Quote: Originally Posted by psi_overtake View Post
If you have friends on non-RP servers, re-roll to them. Nobody's stopping you. YOU picked to play on an RP server, and YOUR FRIENDS picked to play on something else. Those're your own faults. So either re-roll or wait for paid transfers. The current transfer is to address a 100% completely separate issue than yours. No oh-woe-as-me argument is going to get special treatment.
If they didn't make such a point of the Legacy system, that would be a tenable option.

But the meat of 1.2 was making it worthwhile to create alts, and giving you measurable benefits beyond merely having multiple characters.

Rerolling on a new server type invalidates all that time and effort.

And most of the friends we've figured out are playing on other server types are players we didn't realize were planning to play at all when we started. We figured it out after the fact, and long enough after that none of us wanted to start over, assuming that server transfers would be coming.

That's why I'm beefing.

If there was no Legacy system, rerolling wouldn't be a problem.

Kindara's Avatar


Kindara
06.07.2012 , 05:02 PM | #1113
Quote: Originally Posted by Nakazia View Post
You'll all have to transfer to the same server. I don't see why it's such a huge deal tbh. Any guild that isn't dead won't have too hard a time getting their members to coordinate moving to the only available option I wouldn't think.

Not to mention if they DID try to do what you're suggesting we probably wouldn't get transfers this year.
The big deal is they don't get to chose, they don't move together. IF the destination becomes full and they swap to a new destinition and only half the guild's characters have been transfered then the other half goes somewhere else. Thus destroying their guild and making them having to wait to "pay".

Bioware is not handling this correctly everyone should be getting a free 1 time transfer with the first ROUND only being dead server mergers. This is all they've promised us..the rest is pay or leave.

WrecklessMEDIC's Avatar


WrecklessMEDIC
06.07.2012 , 05:04 PM | #1114
Quote: Originally Posted by Kindara View Post
The big deal is they don't get to chose, they don't move together. IF the destination becomes full and they swap to a new destinition and only half the guild's characters have been transfered then the other half goes somewhere else. Thus destroying their guild and making them having to wait to "pay".

Bioware is not handling this correctly everyone should be getting a free 1 time transfer with the first ROUND only being dead server mergers. This is all they've promised us..the rest is pay or leave.
They've stated many times that won't happen. Guilds will NOT be split up. It's a non-issue.

MorgonKara's Avatar


MorgonKara
06.07.2012 , 05:05 PM | #1115
Quote: Originally Posted by Omophorus View Post
If they didn't make such a point of the Legacy system, that would be a tenable option.

But the meat of 1.2 was making it worthwhile to create alts, and giving you measurable benefits beyond merely having multiple characters.

Rerolling on a new server type invalidates all that time and effort.

And most of the friends we've figured out are playing on other server types are players we didn't realize were planning to play at all when we started. We figured it out after the fact, and long enough after that none of us wanted to start over, assuming that server transfers would be coming.

That's why I'm beefing.

If there was no Legacy system, rerolling wouldn't be a problem.
looks like you're beefing up the wrong tree bro. these transfers are an emergency population patch. if you made toons on the wrong server-type your just gonna have to suck it up and re-roll.
Armormech-Armstech-Chemist-Mor-gon-M'orgon-Maxxi
Armormech-Armstech-Biochem-Artifice-Synthweaving-Cybertech
The Craft Legacy ~The Ebon Hawk

Emohawk's Avatar


Emohawk
06.07.2012 , 05:05 PM | #1116
Quote: Originally Posted by Nakazia View Post
You'll all have to transfer to the same server. I don't see why it's such a huge deal tbh. Any guild that isn't dead won't have too hard a time getting their members to coordinate moving to the only available option I wouldn't think.

Not to mention if they DID try to do what you're suggesting we probably wouldn't get transfers this year.
They did it on the PTS.......i don't see any reason why they can't do it here....

The main issue is the admin work for the guilds to sort out...it can be done at a cost of time and effort yes...but bioware supported guilds from day one and now it feels like were being left to pick up and finish a job that they should have done right in the first place....not to mention that there is a chance that not everyone will get onto the server and god forbid anyone takes a holiday and miss the transfer window.

Worked my backside off to keep our guild alive and i don't want to see these transfers pull apart over 12 months of work........

islander's Avatar


islander
06.07.2012 , 05:06 PM | #1117
Quote: Originally Posted by Kindara View Post
The big deal is they don't get to chose, they don't move together. IF the destination becomes full and they swap to a new destinition and only half the guild's characters have been transfered then the other half goes somewhere else. Thus destroying their guild and making them having to wait to "pay".

Bioware is not handling this correctly everyone should be getting a free 1 time transfer with the first ROUND only being dead server mergers. This is all they've promised us..the rest is pay or leave.
I'm a guild master of a fairly large guild.
I do not believe this will be an issue. Not for a couple months.

See, there's a reason BW is controlling all of this. They are using their own calculations to figure this stuff out.

Of course, their formula could be badly wrong, but it's pretty safe to assume that the vast majority of people eligible to transfer will take advantage of it. I really don't think this will be an issue for at least a couple months, if at all. If you look at pages 2-3 I was a huge, huge skeptic ringing this guild splitting up bell. I'm now convinced this will simply not be the case.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Kindara's Avatar


Kindara
06.07.2012 , 05:06 PM | #1118
Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
They've stated many times that won't happen. Guilds will NOT be split up. It's a non-issue.
No they did not..infact they said guilds are NOT beign transfered together they will have to "reform" their guild and apply to have their bank moved seperately. This reeks of chances you get screwed transfering.

Kindara's Avatar


Kindara
06.07.2012 , 05:07 PM | #1119
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
I'm a guild master of a fairly large guild.
I do not believe this will be an issue. Not for a couple months.

See, there's a reason BW is controlling all of this. They are using their own calculations to figure this stuff out.

Of course, their formula could be badly wrong, but it's pretty safe to assume that the vast majority of people eligible to transfer will take advantage of it. I really don't think this will be an issue for at least a couple months, if at all. If you look at pages 2-3 I was a huge, huge skeptic ringing this guild splitting up bell. I'm now convinced this will simply not be the case.
Here's my issue with the whole "calculations" thing...Its already proven to not take into account the human reaction factor..and its more than once bit them in the rear end. Its doing it again. Mathematicians can't calculate the human factor. We're not calculations. We're fraking people.

JovethGonzalez's Avatar


JovethGonzalez
06.07.2012 , 05:08 PM | #1120 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramladon View Post
The only question/suggestion that I have Is why doesn't the guild bank move with the guild leader when they transfer? GM has unlimited access anyway, so if they wanted to ninja it they could anyway. I don't understand the reasoning behind needing to put a ticket in for the guild bank.

Also do we need to move all items out of the guild bank before the move and the ticket will only revive the slots the guild has purchased or will the ticket move all items and money from one guild bank to the new server?
There will be a full FAQ published on Tuesday to answer most of your questions, but I wanted to go ahead and answer these two.

1. Due to a variety of factors (including the naming and re-naming process after transferring characters), this was deemed to be the most efficient method in assuring that Guilds retain their Guild Banks on the new server.

2. Yes, you will have to:
  • Remove all items & credits from the Guild Bank.
  • Disband the Guild.
  • Transfer to the new server and reform the Guild.
  • Contact Customer Service to re-establish the Guild Bank and Guild Bank tabs.

Hopefully that answers your question.