Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

WrecklessMEDIC's Avatar


WrecklessMEDIC
06.07.2012 , 02:16 PM | #1011
Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
I think you're confusing the word "most" with "fanboy" or "easily swayed".

And no, "most" people are not happy with the transfers just as they are. Most are probably not as POed about it as me and some others here, but plenty keep asking for a change here or there. Whether it be pre-launch servers as destination servers, server type changes, guild moves, multiple server/character transfers, or all out free transfers, "most" people want a little flexibility. Unfortunately Bioware isn't being even the slightest flexible.

And how long have some people been stuck on dead servers? 1.1.5? 1.1.4? Even earlier? I remember the quiet pleas of some subscribers for server transfers months ago because they could never get into a single queued PvP match within their 4-hour gameplay sessions.

Yes, it has been that bad for some.

So now that free transfers are finally here, they're extremely limited and putting all of the work on us to handle guilds and still be unable to consolidate our characters across multiple servers.
They're being as flexible as they can be at the moment. They have to direct the flow of players strictly during the first-round or our population issues will not get any better.

If everyone was allowed to choose whatever server they wanted 90% would want to move to "The Fatman", including myself. But that would be a terrible idea. And so we have to have restrictions.

danpen's Avatar


danpen
06.07.2012 , 02:18 PM | #1012
Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
They're being as flexible as they can be at the moment. They have to direct the flow of players strictly during the first-round or our population issues will not get any better.

If everyone was allowed to choose whatever server they wanted 90% would want to move to "The Fatman", including myself. But that would be a terrible idea. And so we have to have restrictions.
Will this stop all the lag or add more lag.
I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.

Buche's Avatar


Buche
06.07.2012 , 02:18 PM | #1013
I sit back and read all this and I just cant help but to lol... everyone complaining about how they cant move their 8 servers worth of toons onto one server and how the server type they or the system selected for them is not a good one well you have had 6 months to fix that and choose your server type you want and its not BW's fault for you have toons across several servers so SUCK IT UP and deal with whats going on now you dont like it deal with it most of us just want on a server with people not a server with only 10 people on fleet at all time... sorry that BW is not letting you move you toons to one server or select the server type you want if you dont like it quit otherwise SUCK IT UP!
Buche
Leader of Altercation
www.altercation.enjin.com

JeramieCrowe's Avatar


JeramieCrowe
06.07.2012 , 02:19 PM | #1014
Okay, at this point, I have to clarify to make sure we're still talking about the same thing. The first post of our discussion is me quoting specifically about the RP-PvP servers. Not guilds, not Legacy names, etc.

Here's what they said:

Quote:
Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process.
What does that mean? Scenario:

The first thing is to combine RP-PvP with RP-PvP. Observe population levels. Not good enough? Move to step 2 of phase 1:

Open up origin servers to include one or two RP-PvE servers. That, in itself, would probably take care of it, but for the sake of argument, let's say it doesn't. Move to step 3 of phase 1:

Open up origin servers to include one or two PvP servers until the RP-PvP server(s) are adequately populated.

Nothing any mod has said precludes this possibility. There is more indication that this will be the case than not, simply because of what I quoted above.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

danpen's Avatar


danpen
06.07.2012 , 02:21 PM | #1015
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Okay, at this point, I have to clarify to make sure we're still talking about the same thing. The first post of our discussion is me quoting specifically about the RP-PvP servers. Not guilds, not Legacy names, etc.

Here's what they said:



What does that mean? Scenario:

The first thing is to combine RP-PvP with RP-PvP. Observe population levels. Not good enough? Move to step 2 of phase 1:

Open up origin servers to include one or two RP-PvE servers. That, in itself, would probably take care of it, but for the sake of argument, let's say it doesn't. Move to step 3 of phase 1:

Open up origin servers to include one or two PvP servers until the RP-PvP server(s) are adequately populated.

Nothing any mod has said precludes this possibility. There is more indication that this will be the case than not, simply because of what I quoted above.
I get what he means, They are going to keep the same sever names.
I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.

samikf's Avatar


samikf
06.07.2012 , 02:21 PM | #1016
Quote: Originally Posted by Buche View Post
.. and its not BW's fault for you have toons across several servers so SUCK IT UP and deal ... SUCK IT UP!
Nice post mate! I just want to point out that it, indeed, is Bioware's fault that people have characters on different servers. After all, they did tell us to roll on a higher pop server while we wait for this character transfer. Also, I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen anyone asking for extra character slots here.

Can you deal with these facts? Or do you have to suck them up?

Buche's Avatar


Buche
06.07.2012 , 02:23 PM | #1017
Quote: Originally Posted by samikf View Post
Nice post mate! I just want to point out that it, indeed, is Bioware's fault that people have characters on different servers. After all, they did tell us to roll on a higher pop server while we wait for this character transfer. Also, I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen anyone asking for extra character slots here.

Can you deal with these facts? Or do you have to suck them up?
did they hold a gun to your head and make you re-roll? no, your choice you didnt have to
Buche
Leader of Altercation
www.altercation.enjin.com

cipher_nemo's Avatar


cipher_nemo
06.07.2012 , 02:24 PM | #1018
Quote: Originally Posted by WrecklessMEDIC View Post
They're being as flexible as they can be at the moment. They have to direct the flow of players strictly during the first-round or our population issues will not get any better.
Really? Why? You never questioned that did you? It seems people at TRION have no problem allowing for free server transfers to wherever people want to go, for whatever characters they want to move. Rift has the same type of server layout: a bunch of "worlds" which use to have their own population issues as well. Now that is changing.

If you let people go wherever they want, multiple transfers, but limited by time, they'll eventually reach an environment where they're content or even happy. Some want to be in a place where the server is packed. Some want activity, but not sitting around an open world waiting for others to finish their quest first. And yet others want just enough to do some PUGs. And of course some people are happy on isolated servers since they do only PvE solo content.

You can't possibly tell me that choice is harmful to people's gaming. You either won't have a straight face when you say it, or you're lying to me and/or yourself.

DimaDelete's Avatar


DimaDelete
06.07.2012 , 02:24 PM | #1019
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.
Thats a really big mistake. I admire your attempts to maintain server types, but speaking about RP-PvP servers: we have only ONE english speaking RP-PvP in EU and its light-populated. We have no possibility to improve the situation if you won't allow us to transfer to other server types or players from other server types transfer to us. Please think about it, because its really unfair, if we 'd have no possibility to have a good game experience(on high-populated servers), while everybody else will.
Shadow Dimalit Fisto - 50 level, server Lord Calypho
Commando Dimalik Fisto - 50 level, server Lord Calypho

danpen's Avatar


danpen
06.07.2012 , 02:27 PM | #1020
Quote: Originally Posted by DimaDelete View Post
Thats a really big mistake. I admire your attempts to maintain server types, but speaking about RP-PvP servers: we have only ONE english speaking RP-PvP in EU and its light-populated. We have no possibility to improve the situation if you won't allow us to transfer to other server types or players from other server types transfer to us. Please think about it, because its really unfair, if we 'd have no possibility to have a good game experience(on high-populated servers), while everybody else will.
Why do you think it is mate.
I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.