Predict Chaos 1st week of Server Transfers

earthtoearl

(EDIT: my issue of "MAIN CONCERN" has been answered several times. Its now a non-issue. Thankyou for your help.)

I'm happy for server transfers and what BW is trying to do. After a week or two of headache things will get better. However, the 1st week is going to be a mess with having to wait in Que to transfer, name changing, Guild reforming, and the most important irritation will be :

"...some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. "

1st question is how long is this "initial service" going to last? If its several weeks or a month = :mad:

From other things said, it sounds like a lottery system, if and when you can transfer. It may be a week of wasted game time trying to get it all sorted out. Is BW going to compensate us for that? Are we going to get a notice if our server is a "origin" or a "destination" server? And how long will be sitting around waiting to find out?

MY MAIN CONCERN:

My son and I each have a sub. We each have several characters that we play together at different times. We play together in a guild a lot. If we are unable to transfer our characters to the same server together then IMO this whole Server Transfer is one big FAIL.

Suggestion:

Call up the City Of Heroes MMO team and ask how they did it.

I played that for years and was there when they started their server transfer and it was so quick and simple. You started with several free transfer tokens, a few clicks, and your there. Other than trying to keep a few servers from getting overpopulated its not clear to me why they feel they need to over control everything.

:csw_falcon:

Edited by earthtoearl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MY MAIN CONCERN:

My son and I each have a sub. We each have several characters that we play together at different times. We play together in a guild a lot. If we are unable to transfer our characters to the same server together then IMO this whole Server Transfer is one big FAIL.

Other than potentially needing to change your name and/or legacy name, you two shouldn't have any problems.

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city (In our case SERVER) is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?

Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!

Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Mayor: All right, all right! I get the point!

Fortunately, I am on a RP PvP server that is already nicely populated and I play in a great guild with RL friends. I agree there will be chaos though. Also, if you think transferring to a well populated server means all smooth sailing, think again. Welcome back to server queues and trolls and loot and crafting node steals and gankers and all sorts of nasty.

My advice, find a great guild or make one on a medium population server.

Thanks, im hoping.:)

Just make sure you get your request in first and you two do it together. It is highly unlikely after you and him do it one after the other (or at the same time) that the server limit for transfers will be cut off at that point.

I predict a lot of complaining and vulgar threads from the community five-minutes into server transfers because customer service is overwhelmed and has to deal with the mass influx and players cannot wait a day or two for their character to be filtered to the server.

MY MAIN CONCERN:

Your main concern is a non-issue. They've already said that each current "origin" server will only have ONE "destination" server. The only way you won't end up together is if one of you does not transfer at all.

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city (In our case SERVER) is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?

Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!

Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Mayor: All right, all right! I get the point!

LOL I think that is the chaos that follows mergers.. transfers don't get the Brimstone, but the do get a little fire..:)

Edited by kevlarto

Your main concern is a non-issue. They've already said that each current "origin" server will only have ONE "destination" server. The only way you won't end up together is if one of you does not transfer at all.

This. It's a server merge dressed in transfer clothing.

• Dev Post
We do have more information about character transfers coming, and we'll post a detailed FAQ that will answer many specific questions. As for being concerned about not being able to transfer to the same server as your son during free transfers, you don't have anything to worry about. Each server that becomes eligible for transfers will have just one destination server, and you'll be able to move all your characters from your origin server to that destination server. We'll announce these servers at the start of the program and then will add more as the program continues (and you'll be able to see all the information on http://www.swtor.com/transfer starting on the 12th), and we'll make sure to let everyone know what servers are available and when.

1st question is how long is this "initial service" going to last? If its several weeks or a month = :mad:

From other things said, it sounds like a lottery system, if and when you can transfer. It may be a week of wasted game time trying to get it all sorted out. Is BW going to compensate us for that? Are we going to get a notice if our server is a "origin" or a "destination" server? And how long will be sitting around waiting to find out?

MY MAIN CONCERN:

It will almost certainly take weeks to go through the entire process, they are trying to not make overfull servers so they have to monitor how many people actually take advantage of transfers. They will likely want to give a window of several days at least so players can get together with friends/family/guild mates and decide if they are going to transfer or not. They also don't want to overload the system.

Its not a lottery, if you and your son are on the same server now, and it doesn't become a destination server, you will both be able to get on the same new server together.

They aren't going to compensate you for taking optional free server transfers. It also seems like you can avoid loss of time by choosing to transfer after the end of your gaming session for the night and you should be on your new server in the morning.

You'll find out what about your server's status when they decide what it is. They aren't forcing transfers at this point, so they are going to probably focus on one destination server at a time, and open it up to a few source servers at a time, until it hits their population target, then they will move to the next destination server with a new batch of source servers.

I don't care if chaos and bedlam consume the galaxy....as long as my toon if off that dead server and I can play the game again.

Sorry to sound selfish...but I've been paying for months of gametime....just to let my 50 sit idle on a dead server. Had enough of watching videos about the game....I wanna play it!!!

We do have more information about character transfers coming, and we'll post a detailed FAQ that will answer many specific questions. As for being concerned about not being able to transfer to the same server as your son during free transfers, you don't have anything to worry about. Each server that becomes eligible for transfers will have just one destination server, and you'll be able to move all your characters from your origin server to that destination server. We'll announce these servers at the start of the program and then will add more as the program continues (and you'll be able to see all the information on http://www.swtor.com/transfer starting on the 12th), and we'll make sure to let everyone know what servers are available and when.

Does this mean we won't know what servers are origin servers till the 12th ?

Does this mean we won't know what servers are origin servers till the 12th ?

Probably. If they released that information sooner, the destination servers would have constant queues as everyone logged on to reserve character names on all the available character slots.

Edited by MadBlue