New Planet "Makeb" Doesn't exist yet

the_nerfherder

Alright, I'm one of those guys who played this game strictly because I'm a star wars nerd, a really annoying one to. But what annoys me is Bioware announces to add a new planet to this game, and it doesn't even exist in the universe. Honestly, with the books I'm fine with authors writing about new planets, but I think at the point where there are that many planets in lore ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_planets ) it'd be much more fun to add something that players are a little more familiar with, instead of adding new things every chance you get. Plus, I could mention some other things you really messed up in the story (such as the use of kolto) but I won't get in it. What I am really saying here is: Stop trying to be creative, bring back memories of KOTOR fans by putting in manaan, or even better a Jedi enclave on Danatione.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an MMO and they will be expanding the known Star Wars Universe as most every Star Wars game has done before. So expect to see "New" lore added on as well as planets. (Maybe it dosen't exist because it was secret and destroyed by the Emperor then covered up? Nobody knows.)

Aside from that, I'd LOVE if they take some attempts at classic Star Wars planets like Naboo and the Wookie Homeworld. As well as some other iconic planets from the movies and books. However, we can't expect everything, not this early into the Game's history.

Just wait, 1.4 brings more Story. And you always need more places to put story.

Yes, bioware made their own planet, made it up and recently got added here. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Makeb Bioware is trying to be all creative and in the end most people find it terrible. For example, end game outfits, they look terrible, feathers on inquisitors? I look like a peacock. Spikes on armor? I look like I just came from a KISS concert. ..... A cloak and robe will do......... Edited by Jonoku

This is an MMO and they will be expanding the known Star Wars Universe as most every Star Wars game has done before. So expect to see "New" lore added on as well as planets. (Maybe it dosen't exist because it was secret and destroyed by the Emperor then covered up? Nobody knows.)

Aside from that, I'd LOVE if they take some attempts at classic Star Wars planets like Naboo and the Wookie Homeworld. As well as some other iconic planets from the movies and books. However, we can't expect everything, not this early into the Game's history.

Just wait, 1.4 brings more Story. And you always need more places to put story.

See that's where I disagree, Bioware should stick with classic star wars planets and themes until they get big enough, then give them room to do this,

See that's where I disagree, Bioware should stick with classic star wars planets and themes until they get big enough, then give them room to do this,

It wouldn't be the first time an author created a new planet in Star Wars and had it approved by LL. While I would prefer Kashyyyk or Naboo or one of the other established planets in the Star Wars universe, I see nothing wrong with making a new one. As long as it's well thought out, I say "Why not?"

Yes, bioware made their own planet, made it up and recently got added here. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Makeb Bioware is trying to be all creative and in the end most people find it terrible. For example, end game outfits, they look terrible, feathers on inquisitors? I look like a peacock. Spikes on armor? I look like I just came from a KISS concert. ..... A cloak and robe will do.........

I like the end game outfits, a black cloak is insanely boring. At least the Inqs now look like the Ancient Sith Lords, from the days before the Prequels killed all creativity in the EU.

Alright, I'm one of those guys who played this game strictly because I'm a star wars nerd, a really annoying one to. But what annoys me is Bioware announces to add a new planet to this game, and it doesn't even exist in the universe. Honestly, with the books I'm fine with authors writing about new planets, but I think at the point where there are that many planets in lore ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_planets ) it'd be much more fun to add something that players are a little more familiar with, instead of adding new things every chance you get. Plus, I could mention some other things you really messed up in the story (such as the use of kolto) but I won't get in it. What I am really saying here is: Stop trying to be creative, bring back memories of KOTOR fans by putting in manaan, or even better a Jedi enclave on Danatione.

Manaan had all it's surface cites razed and destroyed by the Empire, the Selkath are either underwater buried in a hole so deep they won't emerge until the movie time period or if we do go to Manaan it will be all underwater. Dantooine would be pretty much be Taris 2.0, after the Sith paid their visits.

I wouldn't mind a visit to Kashyyyk, Dxun,Telos, Onderon or Lehon(datamining looks like we might be going back there anyways) though.

making up their own planets requires less clearance and hassle from LA than getting the ok to use established stuff. Its likely the same reason that Cathar (a race bioware invented) are the first new species as well. This happened all the time in SWG to SOE... useing established names places and characters, no matter how mundane for new content requires multiple hoops, premissions and approvals from lucasarts..so typically its much easier to just make up their own.

They did not mess this up. kolto was the healing agent of this time period. It comes from Manaan. This was established in the original KOTOR. So nothing was messed up there.

As far as planets go I want to see a planet that is in the galaxy but we have not yet seen. Iridonia, home to the Zabrak race. Manaan, Kashyyk, Dantooine...we've been there before. Let's go to a planet that we have not yet explored in any game and is home to one of the playable races.

Edited by Kilikaa

Just remember, today's planet could be tomorrow's asteroid field.

This assurance not available in all systems. Please check with your local government to see if you or your solar system or your individual planet qualify for Death Star Insurance rates as low as 9% per annual year. Call now and we'll even throw in a Jawa Bobble Head, imported directly from Tatooine!

making up their own planets requires less clearance and hassle from LA than getting the ok to use established stuff. Its likely the same reason that Cathar (a race bioware invented) are the first new species as well.

....A quick look on Wookiepedia shows that the first named appearance of a Cathar was in 1994 in a Dark Horse story. That's a good...9 years before Bioware even touched the Star Wars EU. So I'm fairly certain they did not invent the Cathar unless time travel was involved.

making up their own planets requires less clearance and hassle from LA than getting the ok to use established stuff. Its likely the same reason that Cathar (a race bioware invented) are the first new species as well. This happened all the time in SWG to SOE... useing established names places and characters, no matter how mundane for new content requires multiple hoops, premissions and approvals from lucasarts..so typically its much easier to just make up their own.

I suggest you read the Tales of the Jedi series from Dark Horse comics from the mid-90s to see the Cathar for the first time in the Star Wars universe. The Exar Kun War, for example.

They will reserve major planets for the big expansions, only makes sense.

I say this is probably the answer as they don't want to do a diservice to more established planets and want to save them for larger content additions.

You do realize Voss was first introduced by this game too right?

Welll.....first explored. It was first mentioned as being where a character's mother was from(or was working) in a novel or comic a few years back. Bioware decided to use Voss in the game because it was an existing world in the Star Wars universe that had no real lore established yet so they could be creative there.

Lol, complaining about Bioware adding new planets, and then using planets made by Bioware for Kotor as examples for great planets we should revisit. The fear of something new is strong with this one. Edited by SNCommand

Could it be that this planet suffers an 'Alderaan' fate and that could be a reason it was largely ignored in the future timeline?

During the Black Talon instance, we are told both the republic and empire are building superweapons. I'm sure we're going to be creating a lot of 'existing' asteroid fields from the future.

I expect to see some empire-mutated Exogorths (space slugs) devastate at least one planet. :)