Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Exsidium
06.07.2012 , 11:32 AM | #911
Quote: Originally Posted by Feartheswans View Post
I believe you missed the part that they are doing it in Phases.
I didn't miss a damn thing, I read it thoroughly, twice. If by "phases" you mean the undisclosed and unknown time period it will be until paid transfers come out, its yet another vague promise that I'm not going to bet on. Thanks, but no thanks, been burned enough. I'm not asking for free transfers with no restrictions to anywhere I want. Please, BioWare, TAKE my money, I will hand it over WILLINGLY, as will multiple friends of mine, to be able to move characters over from a dead PVE server, to a well (not heavily) populated RP-PVP server where I've already established a home for the guild to move to.

The distant promise of something they claimed was going to be their focus of transfers in the first place was the last straw for many of my friends, so where does that leave me?

-Dench
06.07.2012 , 11:34 AM | #912
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Of course they do. That's why this is only THE FIRST PHREAKING PHASE!!
How many phases do i have to slog through before I am on a Heavy/full server?

Wait, let me guess: the phase that I have to pay for.
New England Bay - NE|B - A New England based guild http://newenglandbay.com/

psi_overtake
06.07.2012 , 11:35 AM | #913
Quote: Originally Posted by Exsidium View Post
I didn't miss a damn thing, I read it thoroughly, twice. If by "phases" you mean the undisclosed and unknown time period it will be until paid transfers come out, its yet another vague promise that I'm not going to bet on. Thanks, but no thanks, been burned enough. I'm not asking for free transfers with no restrictions to anywhere I want. Please, BioWare, TAKE my money, I will hand it over WILLINGLY, as will multiple friends of mine, to be able to move characters over from a dead PVE server, to a well (not heavily) populated RP-PVP server where I've already established a home for the guild to move to.

The distant promise of something they claimed was going to be their focus of transfers in the first place was the last straw for many of my friends, so where does that leave me?
On a PvE server, like you had it originally. Until paid transfers come out and you can probably go somewhere else.
PsiSniper Sniper & PsiOvertake Sorcerer (Updated July 5, 2012)
Ascend / Consumed / Art of War
The Brony Legacy
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Let's show them how Imperial Intelligence handles things! Pa-Chow!

Tenceriker
06.07.2012 , 11:37 AM | #914
Quote: Originally Posted by Exsidium View Post

Leaves you paying for Bioware's huge mistakes like the rest of us and they want us to wait even longer to be reunited for a sizeable fee.
Relabeling future patches as Expansions, just like EA Louse said a year ago. Who got the last laugh?

cipher_nemo
06.07.2012 , 11:37 AM | #915
Quote: Originally Posted by -Dench View Post
How many phases do i have to slog through before I am on a Heavy/full server?
That may never happen, unless you wait and wait for paid transfers, or until Bioware decides to stop leaving us with a mess to clean up.

Foofie
06.07.2012 , 11:43 AM | #916
Quote: Originally Posted by Kllashaa View Post

so I don't think people with 50s on a PVP server care if someone who levelled to 50 on a carebear PVE server transfers over.

Yeah, stopped right there.
Master Foofie SWG Tempest Survivor FORCE Disciples

joeypesci
06.07.2012 , 11:44 AM | #917
Quote: Originally Posted by Vereku View Post
Will it cost money, that's the real question.
No, they've already said it won't. Later on, with more option, it will.

mikphobos
06.07.2012 , 11:45 AM | #918
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Of course they do. That's why this is only THE FIRST PHREAKING PHASE!!
i doubt you understand that people want to be able to move they characters that they have being playing for long time
to the server they want.
it BW issue to fix the server population, not the players, and this is not a fix, its another big mistake that will make people unhappy. people was looking for move they toon wherever they want.
also this whole phases thing and this *cap* on transfers everyday made me wonder if they are actually gonna do the transfers manually?

maybe they havent even really finish they transfer tech and will do all manually, its very possible, we talking about BW and they awesome hero engine....

MrGrizzly
06.07.2012 , 11:45 AM | #919
I'm going to say this communication was one of the best Bioware has put out. Here's what we are doing, here's what we are not, here is when and here is why. It wasn't defensive or nebulous; it was simply factual and written from a position of leadership. A list of origin and destination servers would have been a nice add, as would a projected timeline for when they would like to target the phase two (pay to xfer where you want).

I understand the frustrations people are feeling and their right to communicate those frustrations as paying customers, but there is a constructive way to do that and the venom spewing, troll puking way (which I can safely say is more likely to just get you ignored than heard). Obviously you care about the game to be so passionate with your position, which makes me happy to see as a fellow SWTOR lover, but your message gets lost in the delivery.

I honestly believe:
  1. The silent majority is going to be happy with this solution.
  2. Servers with large guilds will end up being destination servers so the guild issue (which I understand sucks for guilds that choose to move) should be limited.
  3. We should wait to see a list of origin vs. destination servers are before anyone freaks out.
  4. I'm going to regret posting this in about five minutes as I'm sure my calm and reason will be met with same kind of response you get in Huttball when you die before you can pass the ball.

That being said I would have been fine with getting an email that said:

"Dear player you have and Legacy of characters on server x. That server is being merged with server y and z on June x. This is the first step in our character transfer process which will lead to allowing players to pay a small fee to transfer their characters or Legacy to any server of their choosing later this summer. Please be aware that you may need to change the names of some of your characters and possibly your Legacy name if these names exist on your new server. For anyone affected by this we will be compensating you with x time of free play. By condensing low population servers we plan to both make both your gaming experience and the looking for group tool more effective. This will also have the added benefit of saving time and reducing maintenance windows that we can use more effectively to bring you new content and features moving forward. Thank you for being a valued customer and member of the SWTOR community."

One day you login to say Shii Cho, the next you're logging into The Jek Jek Tar and Shii Cho is GONE. I'd be okay with that; I imagine most folks wouldn't be and the actual solution they are proposing is better received over all.

Guess we'll know more next week...the rest is guessing and conjecture. MTFBWY
MrGrizzly
http://www.torverse.com
The TORVerse Podcast

joeypesci
06.07.2012 , 11:46 AM | #920
My question is, can all of my 8 characters that are on one server move or only one of them?