Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.3 Patch Notes Released - STILL NO NIGHTMARE MODE?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
1.3 Patch Notes Released - STILL NO NIGHTMARE MODE?!

Emlaeh
06.06.2012 , 04:53 PM | #11
executive producer @ darthhater.com
The Sith Inquisitor is about the individual at odds with the community, and whether to ultimately embrace that community, transform it, or act in defiance of it. - Rebecca Harwick, BioWare

Draxxen
06.06.2012 , 05:18 PM | #12
The interview was good, and sounds like Nightmare is coming, but it sounds like it has fallen into the "coming soon" pool and not this round of testing. So unless its put in a new patch on PTS next week, it sounds like we're still waiting.
Operative Healer - Iron Citadel
Cali Killed Nox
Progression Based Raiding
Now Recruiting - Apply Today

The-Vortex
06.06.2012 , 05:25 PM | #13
Is it me, or did anyone else get that he was basically calling us impatient? I can sort of understand where he's coming from but after 2 months of the same 4 bosses I would have thought we'd at least have a "we're aiming for 1.x" by now. Don't get me wrong, I love denova but 4 bosses is just not enough for a full tier. Sigh.... Looks like its going to be a long summer.......
End of Days - Republic - The Progenitor
Varias - 50 Gunslinger
Saris - 50 Jedi Guardian

Wugan
06.06.2012 , 05:45 PM | #14
I loved the questions that were asked in the Darth Hater interview, but the answers just go in circles and leave me asking the same questions. I feel like all we learned for sure is that Nightmare EC will be on the PTS before it goes live, but we don't have any idea when that will happen. It could be tomorrow, it could be 2 months from now or more.

"There are a lot of guilds out there right now who cleared Hard Mode. They log in their day, they get all their stuff, they say Im here and Im ready for Explosive Conflict Nightmare mode. What do you say to those guys?" That was a perfect question and sums up how a lot of us feel. In response, I feel like Daniel Erickson danced around the issue, talking about what seem to be really basic things such as making sure your group gets into the right instance. The rest of the answer talks about adding features such as ranked warzones, but I don't see how that relates to getting Nightmare mode Operations ready to test.

I understand you don't want to commit until things are close to ready, but this response really just doesn't tell us anything. To the extent it does give specifics, it sounds like there are some really basic things that need to be resolved, which makes me worry that the content is not close to being ready.

Another question asked "What was the driver to revamp and redo these Nightmare Modes of the current Operations?" I feel like this question is assuming or taking as a fact that Bioware is going to go back and redesign the existing Tier 1 Nightmare mode raids (EV and KP). We have seen other sites hint at the same thing. But nowhere in the response does Daniel Erickson confirm that they will be re-doing Tier 1 heroics, which has me (and most of my guild) confused about what is actually being developed. Is Bioware just revamping their approach to new heroic content during the design process for Nightmare EC, or are they actually going back and redesigning the existing Nightmare content that we have already cleared?
A home for busy adults seeking high level PvE in a respectful, mature atmosphere.
Wugan --- Sage

Emlaeh
06.06.2012 , 06:14 PM | #15
I wouldn't say that at all. The impression I got was that he understood how we're all feeling, what guilds are dealing with, and they are really trying to avoid putting broken stuff live. It needs to be solid. From what I understood, it's not just an added mechanic and more health for Nightmare, but they might change their minds on that too.

I personally don't want to see a return of early Eternity Vault, but at the same time, I want to have good competitive 16 man Nightmare community so I'm on the fence about the decision to put it for public testing.

At this particular point with everyone basically stating attrition is taking its toll, there is no way to have that until after server transfers are in place. It would make zero sense to put Nightmare out there without server transfers because even with few exceptions, the majority is going through the same thing. Maybe it will give a chance for guilds to merge with one another across servers and a bit of practice before it hits. I am really curious as to how it will shake out.

Just my $0.02.

ETA:

Quote: Originally Posted by Wugan View Post
Another question asked "What was the driver to revamp and redo these Nightmare Modes of the current Operations?" I feel like this question is assuming or taking as a fact that Bioware is going to go back and redesign the existing Tier 1 Nightmare mode raids (EV and KP). We have seen other sites hint at the same thing. But nowhere in the response does Daniel Erickson confirm that they will be re-doing Tier 1 heroics, which has me (and most of my guild) confused about what is actually being developed. Is Bioware just revamping their approach to new heroic content during the design process for Nightmare EC, or are they actually going back and redesigning the existing Nightmare content that we have already cleared?
Yeah, he confirms it again (it was part of the presentation we saw) that they are going back and redoing Nightmare for Tier 1. His stated reason behind it was that simply wasn't hard enough. I expect this will also provide an upgraded loot table, and going back to the server transfer thing, it will give a bit of familiarity to people who may have unsubbed and came back again, but not appear super stale for those people farming the thing since December.

The whole approach to Nightmare is being changed. You should be able to look at someone and say "that guy does Nightmare." That was the whole itemization fail for Tier 1 -- there was little point to doing Nightmare except for the bragging rights (which you couldn't verify because the same loot dropped in Hard, just less of it). The mount should've been it, but the content was way too easy. Ops need carrots on sticks.

He probably used the Warzone example to hit on that topic because he needed a specific example of bugs affecting timing that people could relate to.

Or he just wanted to use that example and I'm reading too much into it.

All I know is that we deliberately avoided asking questions about rated/cross server PVP because we just did an interview on that not too long ago, and anything different or changed, they'll just put a dev blog on it anyway. I think he got a lot of flack when they pushed back rated due to the bugs they experienced with it, and I'm sure he isn't going to promise a date for Nightmare on test or on live in case they find something really game breaking with it like loot tables all screwed up or something (just a hypothetical to illustrate the reason why he would use that example).
executive producer @ darthhater.com
The Sith Inquisitor is about the individual at odds with the community, and whether to ultimately embrace that community, transform it, or act in defiance of it. - Rebecca Harwick, BioWare

Wugan
06.06.2012 , 07:48 PM | #16
Thanks Emlaeh, I appreciate the follow up and that does clarify what the plan is for the existing Nightmare raids. It all sounds great and we're excited to see it on the PTS as soon as it can reasonably get there.
A home for busy adults seeking high level PvE in a respectful, mature atmosphere.
Wugan --- Sage

Mynden
06.07.2012 , 01:19 AM | #17
I'm just trying to stop my guild from dying while we wait.
http://www.swtorcatalyst.com

Catalyst- Hardcore results with casual commitment

Fossman
06.07.2012 , 01:42 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Draxxen View Post
or having it released without testing with 1.3
For the love of all that is holy please never encourage them to release content without testing first. We all know what that leads to.