Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ansalem
06.07.2012 , 12:47 AM | #711
well it is nice to see that transfers will be starting, but the news also burst my bubble. I re rolled onto a larger pop server a while ago and have even found a guild that is patient enough to wait for me to xfer my main to the server, but unfortunately it looks like I will not be able to now because my original character is on a pvp east coast server where I got assigned at launch because I was in a guild with a majority of east coasters. Well that guild on the dead server died so I re rolled on a pve west coast server. So now I have a character in his 30s in a guild expecting me to xfer my geared 50 character there for raiding and I can't bring him over. Please Bioware I implore you open up xfers from pvp to pve and vice versa! I was waiting for transfers to the pve west coast server before reactivating my account, but now that I won't be able to xfer from pvp to pve there is really no point for me to reactivate.

Arlbo_Nabbins
06.07.2012 , 12:58 AM | #712
Quote: Originally Posted by Stalinwolf View Post
I FEEL UR PAIN....I KNOW EXACTLY HOW U FEEL!!!!!!!!!! again in Classic EA fashion Bioware is giving us (the player base) the short straw.
Yeah, because players really want to be forced to choose between moving to a different type of server that they chose not to play on or staying on an empty one. That would be the short straw for these server transfers where you get 1 server offered to you.

If you so want to switch from PVE to PVP or vice versa then reroll (because you cannot claim it is in any way BW's fault that you chose the wrong type of server) or wait for paid transfers at a later date.

EricJS
06.07.2012 , 01:01 AM | #713
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluesnacks View Post
In what sense do responses to transfers from the community (basically these forums) have anything to do with target transfer servers?
I'm pretty sure it's not the forum response that they care about. I think they're concerned with what percentage of the people decide to take the transfer. If only 5% of any given server is transferring, they'll need to move more origination servers onto each destination server in order to get it up to the population levels that they want to see as compared to how many they'd put on each one if 50% of any given server population transfers.

JeramieCrowe
06.07.2012 , 01:02 AM | #714
Quote: Originally Posted by Stalinwolf View Post
I do hope the Devs read all our posts and see that we are not happy that they are pushing out character transfres b4 they are ready.
Well, I'm sure they are reading ALL the posts and finding that the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

I just went through the first 20 pages, then pages 40-50, then pages 60-70 (where pretty much no one new has been posting) and these are my results, excluding just questions and multiple posts from the same user:

Number of unique responses in favor of this news: 68

Number of unique responses not in favor: 27

You do the math. Multiple posts from the same few users do not mean there's a big issue.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

higginsjf
06.07.2012 , 01:05 AM | #715
I like the plan . But wish they had a way that you could look up to see what sever your friends are on then you could plan your move with that in mind.

RichyYoung
06.07.2012 , 01:07 AM | #716
I dont understand so if im on an "origin" server and the list goes up, and everyone from my server decides to move to a destination server does that mean ill be stuck on a server all alone ?

If our server is listed as an origin does that basically mean im going to have to move and probably lose my names?

Kubernetic
06.07.2012 , 01:07 AM | #717
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Well, I'm sure they are reading ALL the posts and finding that the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

I just went through the first 20 pages, then pages 40-50, then pages 60-70 (where pretty much no one new has been posting) and these are my results, excluding just questions and multiple posts from the same user:

Number of unique responses in favor of this news: 68

Number of unique responses not in favor: 27

You do the math. Multiple posts from the same few users do not mean there's a big issue.
Nicely done.

Good news all around, I think. It makes perfect sense why it isn't a free-for-all. And I think it's great that they're letting you duplicate your guild bank on the new server with only a customer service contact. Very cool.

If you're in a PVE and you can't switch to PVP yet, you can always join The Fatman.
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

Milegon
06.07.2012 , 01:17 AM | #718
Don't usually post, more of a lurker, but I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this. I understand Bioware's desire to fix the low pop problems as quickly as possible, but for a company that tries to be careful in managing expectations they've kinda screwed up - it's great that Bioware have got it done in time for June (which was when I'd been expecting it), but it's a vastly different prospect than what was talked up during recent interviews.

My problems with it:
- No consolidation of legacy. When I first rolled on pre-launch access, I ended up on a server that got chosen by the Spanish and Italian communities, meaning 5+ hour queues for the first few weeks. Fair enough - I re-rolled on a couple of different servers with friends as they joined, so I now have medium-high level characters across three servers. This is primarily a product of the way launch populations were handled. This isn't a whine about launch, just an observation that it seems to have caused people, myself included, to split their toons over servers until they found the gaming experience they were looking for. EDIT: From reading other's posts, it seems this has also been the case because of dead servers, with people rolling on multiple servers until they find one that has maintained a stable medium-high pop.It's natural that people want to unite them on a single server given the advantages that legacy conveys across characters, but without being able to choose a destination server, then there's a very low likelihood this will be possible.
- No consolidation of legacy experience. This hasn't ever been something that Bioware have promised, but I've always been confused as to why they haven't implemented it. Perhaps there's a more complex technical explanation, but from where I'm standing, it seems like it's some pretty simple arithmatic to add up the total Legacy XP from two legacies (i.e. one being imported onto a server where the account already has another legacy), and the player would be gaining nothing they hadn't already earned. Again, the fact that the legacies are on an account are currently split across servers may well be because of launch, which in my mind means Bioware should be willing to fix it.
- No possibility of change from PvE to PvP - some of the servers I rolled on with friends were PvE, which I'd never really played on with any MMO, but have since discovered is not for me. One of the great prospects of a server change was the idea of getting these toons onto a PvP server. Again, this also serves to prevent unification of legacies, as those with toons on multiple server types will never be offered the same destination server for all toons in this round of transfers.
- Limited ability to transfer to servers with friends. If you and friends have toons on different servers, unless you get put in the same pool of "transfer from" servers, you won't end up in the same place. Not exactly in the spirit of "Allies"...
- The possibility of all of the above in future, but only at a charge. This is the real kicker. I'm happy to wait a little longer for the transfer service I was expecting, but as I see it, the reason I have toons distributed across servers is a product of the way Bioware handled launch populations. Again - very smoothly for an MMO launch, but ultimately Bioware's responsibility to fix. The idea of having to pay more just to fix this is pretty galling.

Hope this gets taken in the spirit it's intended - love the game, but this wasn't the transfer system we were looking for.

Riven
06.07.2012 , 01:18 AM | #719
Yay for transfers, but the way guilds are handled is pretty bad tbh. Our guild has the problem that most have unsubbed or aren't logging in much/at all at the moment, so our only hope is the Basilisk Droid will be a "destination server". The logistics of prompting everyone to move to another server within a timely fashion given our current activity rate is nigh impossible.

In fact we were in the early guild program and initially wanted to play on an RP-PvP server which were not offered for the early guild placement. Since many of our members began playing later because of the christmas holidays we opted against trying to move every one over because it would have caused a lot of confusion. So what I'm saying is that we basically chose not to move our guild manualy during a time where people were actually loging in regularly and now were need to do it with an almost shattered guild.....I think not!

Thanks for trying to improve the situation Bioware, realy, I mean it. Just not a very good or helpful choice for guilds like mine.
Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.

Zaemiel
06.07.2012 , 01:18 AM | #720
Well, first step! Next move: cross-server LFG. Really hope for it...
Please, Bioware, can you create a free PvP and PvE space battle please! Swoop racing is also welcome!