Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Planet "Makeb" Doesn't exist yet

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
New Planet "Makeb" Doesn't exist yet

Jandi
06.06.2012 , 05:05 PM | #11
That must be the most horrible misspelling on DANTOOINE I've ever seen. Congratulations.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.

thepilk
06.06.2012 , 05:14 PM | #12
making up their own planets requires less clearance and hassle from LA than getting the ok to use established stuff. Its likely the same reason that Cathar (a race bioware invented) are the first new species as well. This happened all the time in SWG to SOE... useing established names places and characters, no matter how mundane for new content requires multiple hoops, premissions and approvals from lucasarts..so typically its much easier to just make up their own.
SWG's Last Jedi Senator
Facebook.com/straightouttacomicon
youtube.com/straightouttacomicon

Kilikaa
06.06.2012 , 05:16 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by the_nerfherder View Post
Alright, I'm one of those guys who played this game strictly because I'm a star wars nerd, a really annoying one to. But what annoys me is Bioware announces to add a new planet to this game, and it doesn't even exist in the universe. Honestly, with the books I'm fine with authors writing about new planets, but I think at the point where there are that many planets in lore ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_planets ) it'd be much more fun to add something that players are a little more familiar with, instead of adding new things every chance you get. Plus, I could mention some other things you really messed up in the story (such as the use of kolto) but I won't get in it. What I am really saying here is: Stop trying to be creative, bring back memories of KOTOR fans by putting in manaan, or even better a Jedi enclave on Danatione.
They did not mess this up. kolto was the healing agent of this time period. It comes from Manaan. This was established in the original KOTOR. So nothing was messed up there.

As far as planets go I want to see a planet that is in the galaxy but we have not yet seen. Iridonia, home to the Zabrak race. Manaan, Kashyyk, Dantooine...we've been there before. Let's go to a planet that we have not yet explored in any game and is home to one of the playable races.

WillCaedes
06.06.2012 , 05:19 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Marked_Man View Post
Just remember, today's planet could be tomorrow's asteroid field.
This assurance not available in all systems. Please check with your local government to see if you or your solar system or your individual planet qualify for Death Star Insurance rates as low as 9% per annual year. Call now and we'll even throw in a Jawa Bobble Head, imported directly from Tatooine!
Patch 2.7.1 - We're more concerned about getting the latest greatest Cartel Cash Market item out, then making sure our servers are adequately stable for gameplay. You might be lagging folks, but look! A Black varayactly and a reskinned armor coming soon!

Ranadiel_Marius
06.06.2012 , 08:01 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by thepilk View Post
making up their own planets requires less clearance and hassle from LA than getting the ok to use established stuff. Its likely the same reason that Cathar (a race bioware invented) are the first new species as well.
....A quick look on Wookiepedia shows that the first named appearance of a Cathar was in 1994 in a Dark Horse story. That's a good...9 years before Bioware even touched the Star Wars EU. So I'm fairly certain they did not invent the Cathar unless time travel was involved.
A Primer on the Emperor(yes this does have spoiler)

One Night Stands and Similar Encounter (spoilers again, and I am probably going to repost this sometime in the future)

Captain_Zone
06.06.2012 , 09:29 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by thepilk View Post
making up their own planets requires less clearance and hassle from LA than getting the ok to use established stuff. Its likely the same reason that Cathar (a race bioware invented) are the first new species as well. This happened all the time in SWG to SOE... useing established names places and characters, no matter how mundane for new content requires multiple hoops, premissions and approvals from lucasarts..so typically its much easier to just make up their own.
I suggest you read the Tales of the Jedi series from Dark Horse comics from the mid-90s to see the Cathar for the first time in the Star Wars universe. The Exar Kun War, for example.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

AhsokaTanorules
06.06.2012 , 11:25 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by the_nerfherder View Post
See that's where I disagree, Bioware should stick with classic star wars planets and themes until they get big enough, then give them room to do this,
You do realize Voss was first introduced by this game too right?

clintcasey
06.06.2012 , 11:57 PM | #18
KoTOR 1 introuced us to Taris, Manaan, and Rakata Prime.

3 Planets which did not exist prior to Knights of the Old Republic.
Al'den, Jedi Guardian, Level 50, The Bastion, 4/4 EC HM
Jindo, Mercinary, Level 50, The Swiftsure, 3/4 EC HM
Jiindo, Power Tech, Level 27, Squadron 367

DesAnvos
06.07.2012 , 01:15 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
They will reserve major planets for the big expansions, only makes sense.
I say this is probably the answer as they don't want to do a diservice to more established planets and want to save them for larger content additions.

Ranadiel_Marius
06.07.2012 , 05:02 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by AhsokaTanorules View Post
You do realize Voss was first introduced by this game too right?
Welll.....first explored. It was first mentioned as being where a character's mother was from(or was working) in a novel or comic a few years back. Bioware decided to use Voss in the game because it was an existing world in the Star Wars universe that had no real lore established yet so they could be creative there.
A Primer on the Emperor(yes this does have spoiler)

One Night Stands and Similar Encounter (spoilers again, and I am probably going to repost this sometime in the future)