Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

YanksfanJP
06.06.2012 , 04:30 PM | #491
Quote: Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
I don't think Rouncer is claiming to want the transfers to be a free-for-all rush to The Fatman. But it's a legitimate question for players with toons on multiple servers. Legacy level 30 on server A is a ghost town. Legacy level 28 on server B is a thriving community. Server B is your undisputed primary server. You play there now. Your server load 'fingerprint' (if you want to call it that) is registering as part of the population on server B. What's the harm in transfering specific toons from server A onto that server?

Until Bioware can explain that in detail I remain dubious about their whole plan.

Now, if enough players like Rouncer feel the same way on this 'thriving community' of a server and decide to let their subs run out....how is that better for the game as a whole, Yanksfan?

What exactly would be the impact on the game as a whole if say The Fatman was to suddenly drop to LIGHT in a month or two?
First of all, "enough" players aren't going to let their subs run out because of this because they're no worse off than they were before. They're still not playing the old character at all, and if they want to transfer it later and pay for it, they're welcome to do that. But you can't just let everyone who wants to transfer pick where they want to go for free right now because Fatman is where everyone will go, which will completely overtax the server. You'll have all dead servers and one server with a 2 hour queue. Is that what you want? Is that what you think is better for the game? They're much better off controlling the rush and ensuring there are multiple healthy servers. It might not make some people happy, but nothing they do will make everyone happy.

What they're doing is basically an "optional server merge," which is probably the most political thing they could do. It's no different than if there were server merges and his toons on Veela got merged with other servers that weren't Fatman. Exactly the same. But now, he'd be crying that Veela didn't get merged into the Fatman pool.

If he wants his choice of where to go, that's a paid privilege at some point in the future, after the server populations are ironed out through this method.
I'm not arrogant. I'm just aware of my greatness.

HelinCarnate
06.06.2012 , 04:33 PM | #492
Quote: Originally Posted by YanksfanJP View Post
First of all, "enough" players aren't going to let their subs run out because of this because they're no worse off than they were before. They're still not playing the old character at all, and if they want to transfer it later and pay for it, they're welcome to do that. But you can't just let everyone who wants to transfer pick where they want to go for free right now because Fatman is where everyone will go, which will completely overtax the server. You'll have all dead servers and one server with a 2 hour queue. Is that what you want? Is that what you think is better for the game? They're much better off controlling the rush and ensuring there are multiple healthy servers. It might not make some people happy, but nothing they do will make everyone happy.
People will see huge queue lines for the Fatman or whatever server and pick the next highest server without a queue.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

Egalatae
06.06.2012 , 04:33 PM | #493
You are completely misguided. You want a guild master to have control over whether someone else moves? Not everything has to coddle the players. Let them move if they want to, and then they can sort out reforming their new guild when they get there. It's not very difficult. You put up a post on the web site saying "we're moving to XYZ server, come join us, and ask for a ginvite when you get there."

What in blazes is so hard about it that makes you spew all that garbage you just said?
i "spew that garbage" because its exactly what is happening to my guild and thats how me and my guildies feel about their solution to dead servers. For the record, i'm not the leader, and all of us have stated we'll happily follow the GM to which ever server we got to because we're all incredibly proud of the guild we've created.

My point is mostly, that BW are throwing this excuse of a fix at us with pretty minimal effort tbh. As a courteous gesture to us all, they could have taken some of the pain out of it, by at least trying to move guilds together Where they express their wish to do so
Egalatae 50 Sage - Mesunas 50 Shadow - Klly 25 Sent - Lenya 22 Guard - Jaza'lynn 33 Scoundrel - Zoy 26 Slinger - Ashardis 22 Van Absolute Craft Wh**e
The Legacy of Aotearoa: Nightmare Lands

shadylestat
06.06.2012 , 04:34 PM | #494
Oh well.. thought we could have control on this.. now i just have to Hope that Veela will be the targeted one , wanted to move my char to a RP-PVP but seems won't be possible bah imaybe wit the time and paying we'll be able to move where we want.

Emohawk
06.06.2012 , 04:35 PM | #495
Quote: Originally Posted by Egalatae View Post
Only two words serve the above statement justice:

MONUMENTAL FAIL

for emphasis.

It is, without a shadow of a doubt, the lack of foresight on behalf of Bioware and/or EA, that players experience the current problems with server populations.
Not only did it take you (BW/EA) FAR too long to acknowledge, then address the problems, you then come up with this half-baked idea of a quick fix.
Yet again, you're rushing something out that requires a bit more depth to it, in order to satisfy quickly.
A bit like some cheap energy drink: enough to sate the needs for a short while, but nothing substantial and lasting :-/

For a company and team that preached it's superiority over other games based on "Community Focus", you're doing a cracking job at breaking up communities.
The game might well only be 6/7 months old now, but its been long enough for many people to have developed online friendships, not just with guild mates, but other players outside guilds, fellow pvpers, and regular opponents.

YOUR knee-jerk reaction to opening hundreds of servers in the first month is why this is happening.
But it will be PLAYERS taking the pain when the problem is rectified.

How can you possibly NOT provide a better solution to Guilds????

I'm betting most guilds still struggling on, on quiet servers, have been trying like mad to keep their guilds running, keep players coming back every raid/pvp day. Have they not already suffered enough with a problem YOU created??
And now you tell them they've got to sort it out themselves? As if they really needed more incentive to give up.

Have they not done enough to keep their guilds running, in what has been a dying game, that they now need to reform from scratch? I can just imagine with forced name changes in cases, interfering with players finding each other again (ofc, most guilds will have their own sites to use, but why should it be down to the players to do the leg work?)

Forgive my lack of faith in you (BW/EA) but my gut tells me there's gunna be one hell of a sh**storm coming your way with "Re-granting" guild banks to guild leaders. Good luck tracing missing items and money.

This is exactly why MERGES are better suited than TRANSFERS.

What little community is left, has clung on for this long, and you couldn't show just a wee bit more appreciation to them by giving them a smooth, complete, almost hassle-free guild transfer?
Dont be too quick to give yourselves a pat on the back, as a player, it still feels like a kick in the teeth to be honest.

Again, players will be paying for the mistakes made by you (BW/EA)
I agree 100%
More should be done to help guilds transfer and tbh why the hell was it over looked in the first place.

iamthehoyden
06.06.2012 , 04:35 PM | #496
This could easily be renamed "Server Mergers Step 1"

Step 2 will be "forcibly merge and close remaining dead servers"
Hopefully, Step 3 will be "open free server transfers to server of your choice for specified window of time"
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

YanksfanJP
06.06.2012 , 04:36 PM | #497
i "spew that garbage" because its exactly what is happening to my guild and thats how me and my guildies feel about their solution to dead servers. For the record, i'm not the leader, and all of us have stated we'll happily follow the GM to which ever server we got to because we're all incredibly proud of the guild we've created.
So your guild is all going to leave your current dead server and all go to the new high-population destination server that's designated for you, and you get to stay together which is what you all want. So what the heck is your problem? You'll still all be together. You'll still all be able to be a guild and do together all the things you already do.

Sounds like to me you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.
I'm not arrogant. I'm just aware of my greatness.

Tatebomb
06.06.2012 , 04:37 PM | #498
Because the FFA would make things worse, since everyone will transfer to Fatman and the server won't be able to handle it. It has to be controlled.
Make it so you can't transfer to Fatman or JC UNLESS you are already established there i.e. a level 50 or legacy level whatever. It won't really increase the population since the person is already there and doesn't shaft folks who quite frankly the only reason they are still playing is becuase they want to bring thier old chars to thier new home.

Another poster said it but I'll repeat it. If I rerolled from a dead server to Fatman and then they allow transfers from the old server to a server other than Fatman what's the point? I am not gonna leave Fatman since I've already made a new home there. Not to mention the uncertainty of the destination servers being much better then the old dead servers are now.
Jedi Covenant:

Gothrik: 50 vanguard; Koracks: 50 sent ; Xeen 44 jugg; Gothric: 50 merc

HelinCarnate
06.06.2012 , 04:37 PM | #499

My point is mostly, that BW are throwing this excuse of a fix at us with pretty minimal effort tbh. As a courteous gesture to us all, they could have taken some of the pain out of it, by at least trying to move guilds together Where they express their wish to do so
I am with you. If someone requests to transfer later than others, they may end up on a different server.

"Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process. We don't want to promise a destination in case it may change."

Translation. When one server gets to our target number for population, the rest of the people that want to transfer to that server will just be kicked over to a different server. If they want to actually play with the friends that they have made over the past several months, they can pay us for that game feature later.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

danpen
06.06.2012 , 04:38 PM | #500
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
This could easily be renamed "Server Mergers Step 1"

Step 2 will be "forcibly merge and close remaining dead servers"
Hopefully, Step 3 will be "open free server transfers to server of your choice for specified window of time"
Yes but what if you have a lvl 50 sith or jedi toon and you do not transver it in time what will happen then.
I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.