Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AefaFreesky
06.06.2012 , 03:16 PM | #391
Like many others I'm deeply concerned about whether old friends who have quit the game and might not come back straight away, or people on summer holiday for that matter, can play with me if I do decide to transfer. That's the only thing that's holding me back from taking the plunge right away.

I understand that you need to reserve any and all rights to change your mind, charge money in the future, or even do a tiered approach where you only open up certain origin servers in the first week, and another bunch the week after. But once you've opened up a link between an origin and destination server, please please please keep that link open for a LONG time. And please give us some estimate of how long in advance you expect to announce the takedown of a link, so we know how much we have hurry to prevent getting split up from our non-subscription friends or guildmates.

Please address this major concern over your reserved right to split up communities...

noodlenoodle
06.06.2012 , 03:16 PM | #392
Roughly half of all accounts ever created are now unsubbed. That's a lot of dead names on the destination servers.

tloops
06.06.2012 , 03:16 PM | #393
Quote: Originally Posted by Qronus View Post
Ironically, if the hundreds of people from Mandalore the Indomitable had stayed put instead of re-rolling on The Fatman, queues would have been fine. I'm sure the same can be said for other servers as well.
exactly...im glad i stayed put
TOR...the best single player game on the market

skepticck
06.06.2012 , 03:16 PM | #394
Quote: Originally Posted by tloops View Post
i agree..people will complain just to complain. i believe the servers that will be left will be quite full
So why not just merge servers, then they could control faction and population balance without giving us the "Illusion" of choice that actually doesn't exists,
you have NO choice at all, change to the server they choose or stay on a dead server that will close in the future anyway since it will be empty.

Valtrise
06.06.2012 , 03:18 PM | #395
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
This is not correct. We'll be providing a list of origin servers and destination servers. Each origin server will have one destination server, and players can elect to transfer their characters from the origin server to the destination. Our goal is to have destination servers with a much higher active player population, so we'll be monitoring the process and adding new origin and destination pairs as necessary to reach that goal.
Am i mistaken are are you saying that the server transfer ratio is one to one where no other origin server will transfer to the destination sever of another origin server?

Tuscad
06.06.2012 , 03:19 PM | #396
Not to sound like a cynic but after some thought, I really wouldn't be suprised if they just sent us every which way so we would all be alone, that way we would pay to transfer to Fatman or Jedi Covenent. I really wouldn't. The fact that they are saying that future transfers may not be free and how they won't let us bring our characters from different servers together (unless we luck out and get a destination server that our originals were on) makes it seem to me that they are just trying to milk us for our money. They know that most people have rerolled on a different server because of population issues, maybe they just had this planned the whole time
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

tloops
06.06.2012 , 03:19 PM | #397
Quote: Originally Posted by MonsAlpha View Post
Does this mean that some "origin" servers will also be "destination" servers? Or are completely new servers being opened in order to accommodate the character transfers?
ummm,no to all of this
TOR...the best single player game on the market

Echoo
06.06.2012 , 03:21 PM | #398
This makes me incredibly happy. I'm looking forward to transferring with my guild Tuesday.
GM of Sith Happens - Assassin - unsubbed

Tuscad
06.06.2012 , 03:21 PM | #399
Quote: Originally Posted by Valtrise View Post
Am i mistaken are are you saying that the server transfer ratio is one to one where no other origin server will transfer to the destination sever or another origin server?
That would just make the population numbers worse and is a terrible idea if that is what they are doing.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Valtrise
06.06.2012 , 03:22 PM | #400
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuscad View Post
That would just make the population numbers worse and is a terrible idea if that is what they are doing.
I agree that's why id like clarification.